Total views : 425
Legal Status of BRICS and Some Trends of International Cooperation
Background/Objectives: The authors analyzed the legal status of BRICS (Association of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) in comparison with similar international forums and defined BRICS as an international quasi-organization. Methods: A method of comparative analysis is the primary methodical tool used in the respective part of the paper. The desk research is followed by the analysis of two issues that have not yet attracted specific scientific attention. Findings: While many researches in sphere of BRICS’ activity analyze economic integration, the authors paid attention to the new spheres of cooperation of BRICS States: Outer space activities and Africa as a continent. The authors point out that the fact of all BRICS States being space faring nations opens great horizons for further cooperation. The growing importance of Africa in the foreign policy agenda of both individual BRICS States and the organization itself is an undeniable trend of our time, as well. Application/Improvements: The research results are useful in deepening understanding of BRICS as a new actor in international relations, both generally and regarding these two topics of interstate cooperation (space and Africa).
Africa, BRICS, International Law, International Organizations, Space Law.
- BRICS in Numbers; 2015. Available from: http://en.brics2015.ru/
- Abashidze A. Law of International Organizations. Moscow: Yurait; 2014.
- Kopylov MN, Solntsev AM. The G8 contribution to sustainable development. International Law. 2009; 3(39):102–10. Available from: http://www.intlaw-rudn.com/research/publications/environment/vklad-bolshoi-vosmerki-v-ustoichivoe-razvitie/view
- Larionova M, Kirton JJ. The G8-G20 relationship in global governance. Ashgate; 2016.
- Nord DC. The arctic council: Governance within the far North. Routledge; 2015.
- Fry GW. The association of Southeast Asian nations. Chelsea House Publishers; 2008.
- Al-Ekabi C, Baranes B, Hulsroj P, Lahcen A. Yearbook on Space Policy 2011/2012. Space in Times of Financial Crisis. Springer; 2014.
- Legal and policy aspects of space cooperation between Europe and BRICS countries; inventory, challenges and opportunities. Proceedings of Symposium; Leiden University. 2013 May 16th. Available from: http://law.leiden.edu/organisation/publiclaw/iiasl/news/brics-presentations.html
- Deych TL, Korendyasov EN. BRICS – A new actor on the African continent. Asia and Africa Today. 2012; 4:24–8. DOI: 10.1177/0975087815581459.
- Carmody P. The rise of BRICS in Africa: The geopolitics of south-south relations. Zed Books; 2013.
- Taylor I. Africa rising? BIRCS- Diversifying dependency. James Curray; 2014.
- Deych T, Zhukov A. Africa’s growing role in world’s politics. MeaBooks; 2016.
- Gumede W. South Africa in BRICS: Salvation or ruination? Tafelberg, Tafelberg short series; 2013. ISBN: 978-0-624-006678-1.
- Harrison Ph. South Africa in the BRICS. OASIS. 2014; 19:67–84.
- Kingah S, Quiliconi C. Global and Regional Leadership of BRICS Countries. Springer; 2015.
- Spencer H, Yap F. The power of the Chinese dragon: Implications for African development and economic growth. Springer; 2016.
- Declaration on the Establishment of the Arctic Council; Ottawa, Canada. 1996. Available from: http://www.international.gc.ca/arctic-arctique/ottdec-decott.aspx?lang=eng
- Solntsev AM, Shirokinsky AY. Integration processes in the ASEAN: Yesterday, today, tomorrow. International law. 2010; 2(42):28–31. ISSN 1560-2893.
- Factsheet: What is the OSCE? Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe; 2016 Mar 11. Available from: http://www.osce.org/whatistheosce/factsheet 20. CSCE Helsinki Final Act; 1975. http://www.osce.org/helsinki-final-act?download=true
- Hoof GJH. Rethinking the sources of international law. Netherlands: Kluwer; 1983.
- Statement by H. E. Mr. Sergey Lavrov, Minister of Foreign Affairs at the OSCE Summit in Astana; 2010 Dec 1-2. Available from: http://www.osce.org/ru/mc/85945
- The VII BRICS Summit Ufa Declaration of 2015 (Ufa, the Russian Federation, July 9, 2015). Available from: http://www.brics.mid.ru/bdomp/brics.nsf/Ufa_Declaration_rus.pdf
- Severino R. The ASEAN regional forum. Institute of Southeast Asian Studies; 2009.
- The 3rd BRICS Summit Sanya Declaration; Sanya, China. 2011 Apr 14. Available from: http://www.mid.ru/brics.nsf/WEBdocBric/9AF718AA83D590FAC3257 8720022EB1A
- SOUTH AFRICA YEAR BOOK; 2013/14. Available from: http://www.gcis.gov.za/sites/www.gcis.gov.za/files/docs/resourcecentre/yearbook/2013-4Science_Technology.pdf
- Blank S, Kim Y. Russia and Latin America: The new frontier for geopolitics, arms sales and energy. Problems of Post-Communism. 2015; 62(3):159–73. DOI: 10.1080/10758216.2015.1019817.
- Concept of participation of the Russian Federation in BRICS of 2013. Available from: http://static.kremlin.ru/media/events/eng/files/41d452b13d9c2624d228.pdf
- Zhukov G, Abashidze A. International space law. Moscow: PFUR Press; 2014. ISBN: 978-5-209-05571-6.
- Legal and policy aspects of space cooperation between Europe and BRICS countries; Inventory, Challenges and Opportunities. Proceedings of symposium; Leiden University. 2013 May 16th. Available from: http://law.leiden.edu/organisation/publiclaw/iiasl/news/brics-presentations.html
- The joint statement of the BRIC countries leaders. 2nd BRIC Summit of Heads of State and Government; Brasília. 2010 Apr 15. Available from: http://en.kremlin.ru/supplement/524
- The IV BRICS summit Delhi declaration; 2012 Mar 29. Available from: http://www.mid.ru/brics.nsf/WEBdocBric/1DB82FF3745BA8FE442579D5004778E6
- The V BRICS summit eThekwini declaration and action plan; 2013 Mar 27. Available from: http://www.brics.mid.ru/brics.nsf/WEBsamBric/EBB2830BE1D5F49D44257B410038C4A5 http://www.wsp.org/sites/wsp.org/files/publications/eThekwiniAfricaSan.pdf
- The VI BRICS summit Fortaleza declaration adopted in Fortaleza, Brazil; 2014 Jul 15. http://www.brics.mid.ru/brics.nsf/WEBsamBric/C9903DE836DEDC0244257D17002A789F
- The joint statement of the BRIC countries leaders; Yekaterinburg, Russia. 2009 Jun 16. Available from: http://www.mid.ru/brics.nsf/WEBdocBric/F204322D9ED6118EC3257853003F4BD2
- Galushkin AA. Education in the field of national information security in the Russian federation and abroad. Journal of Computer Science. 2015; 11(10):988–94.
- Lavrov S. BRICS is a new generation forum of a global reach. In: Larionova MV, Kirton J, Alagh Y, editors. BRICS. India. 2012. Available from: http://www.mid.ru/brics.nsf/WEBforumBric/ F8C251DB09032059442579C000531B68
- Deych TL, Korendyasov EN. BRICS- A new actor on the African continent. Asia and Africa Today. 2012; 6:18–23. DOI: 10.1177/0975087815581459.
- Ponomarenko LV, Zueva EG. PFUR and Africa. Moscow: PFUR Press; 2010. p. 9–19. ISBN: 978-5-209-03190-1.
- Concept of the foreign policy of the Russian Federation; 2013. http://www.mid.ru/en/foreign_policy/official_documents/-/asset_publisher/CptICkB6BZ29/content/id/122186 41. Makarenko A. Problems of Africa. Available from: http://civilg8.ru/g8russia/publication/659.php
- Africa and BRICS: New perspective and potential threats. Bridges. 2011; 4(5). Available from: http://www.ictsd.org/bridges-news/мосты/news/африка-и-брикс-новые-перспективы-и-потенциальные-угрозы
- Russia slashes African debt and increases aid; 2012 Oct 17. Available from: https://www.rt.com/business/russia-africa-debt-writeoff-705/
- The foreign policy concept of the Russian Federation; 2008. Available from: http://www.russianmission.eu/userfiles/file/foreign_policy_concept_english.pdf
- The foreign policy concept of the Russian Federation; 2000. Available from: http://fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/doctrine/econcept.htm
- Key aspects of Russia's current foreign and security policy. Policy Briefing. Policy Department, Directorate-General for External Policies; 2012. Available from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/briefing_note/join/2012/491446/EXPO-AFET_SP(2012)491446_EN.pdf
- Decree of the President of the Russian Federation No. 605 of 2012 May 7, 2012. On the measures for implementation of the foreign policy course of the Russian Federation. Available from: https://rg.ru/2012/05/09/vn-polit-dok.html
- Kumar VS, Renganathan R, Banu CV, Anand VV, Prakash R. Macroeconomic Dynamics on rural and urban household consumption divide in BRICS nations: A comparative study. IJST. 9(27); 2016. DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i27/97609.
- Kimio T, Natarajan G, Hideki A, Taichi K, Nanao K. Higher involvement of subtelomere regions for chromosome rearrangements in leukemia and lymphoma and in irradiated leukemic cell line. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Apr; 5(1):1801–11.
- Cunningham CH. A laboratory guide in virology. 6th ed. Minnesota: Burgess Publication Company; 1973.
- Sathishkumar E, Varatharajan M. Microbiology of Indian desert. In: Sen DN, editor. Ecology and vegetation of Indian desert. India: Agro Botanical Publ; 1990. p. 83–105.
- Varatharajan M, Rao BS, Anjaria KB, Unny VKP, Thyagarajan S. Radiotoxicity of sulfur-35. Proceedings of 10th NSRP; India. 1993. p. 257–8.
- Available from: http://www.indjst.org/index.php/vision
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.