Total views : 420
The Influence of Anxiety in Second Language Learning: A Case Study with Reference to Engineering Students in Tamil Nadu, India
Objective: This study investigates the influence of anxiety in second language learning amongst engineering college students in the least literacy rate district in Tamil Nadu. Methods: Researchers used mixed research design that includes quantitative and qualitative methods. To investigate the levels of anxiety among the L2 learners, adopted AMTB1 questionnaire has been used (N=190) and unstructured interview (N=19) has been conducted. The quantitative data were analysed by using descriptive statistics, Cronbach’s internal reliability and Pearson Correlation coefficient. Findings: The results of the study exposed that English class anxiety and English use anxiety was correlated; hence the ESL learners are more anxious to use English inside and outside the classroom. Applications/Improvements: The language instructor could bring innovative thoughts and positive believes through alternative method of teaching in their classroom.
Anxiety, Correlation, English Class Anxiety and Use Anxiety, Factors, L2 Learning.
- Gardner RC. Attitude/motivation test battery. International AMTB research project. Canada: The University of Western Ontario; 2014. p. 1-12.
- Horwitz EK, Horwitz MB, Cope J. Foreign language classroom anxiety. The Modern Language Journal. 1986; 70:125–32.
- Krashen S. Second language acquisition. Second Language Learning; 1981. p. 19–39.
- Ellis R. The study of second language acquisition (2nd ed.). Oxford: OUP; 2008.
- Gardner RC. The socio-educational model of Second Language Acquisition: A research paradigm. Netherlands: John Benjamins; 2006. p. 237–60.
- Abu‐Rabia S. Teachers' role, learners' gender differences, and FL anxiety among seventh‐grade students studying English as a FL. Educational Psychology. 2004; 24(5):711–21.
- Al-Saraj TM. Foreign language anxiety in female Arabs learning English: Case studies. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching. 2014; 8(3):257–78.
- Garcia de Blakeley M, Ford R, Casey L. Second language anxiety among Latino American immigrants in Australia. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism; 2015. p. 1–14.
- Jee MJ. Affective factors in Korean as a foreign language: Anxiety and beliefs. Language, Culture and Curriculum. 2014; 27(2):182–95.
- Khan ZA, Zafar S. The effects of anxiety on cognitive processing in English language learning. English Language Teaching. 2010; 3(2):199–209.
- Madonsela S. Language anxiety caused by the single mode of instruction in multilingual classrooms: The case of African language learners. Africa Education Review. 2015; 12(3):447–59.
- Saranraj L, Meenakshi K. Influence of motivation factor and anxiety in L2 learning among engineering students in Dharmapuri, India. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(18):1–7.
- Thompson AS, Khawaja AJ. Foreign language anxiety in Turkey: The role of multilingualism. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development; 2015. p. 1–16.
- Zhang R, Zhong J. The hindrance of doubt: Causes of language anxiety. International Journal of English Linguistics. 2012; 2(3):27–33.
- McDonald AS. The prevalence and effects of test anxiety in school children. Educational Psychology. 2001; 21(1):89–101.
- Thompson AS, Lee J. Anxiety and EFL: Does multilingualism matter? International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. 2013; 16(6):730–49.
- Argaman O, Abu-Rabia S. The influence of language anxiety on English reading and writing tasks among native Hebrew speakers. Language Culture and Curriculum. 2002; 15(2):143–60.
- Akande A, Osagie JE, Mwaiteleke R, Botha KFH, Ababio EP, Selepe TJ, Chipeta K. Managing children's fears and anxieties in classroom settings. Early Child Development and Care. 1999; 158(1):51–69.
- MacIntyre PD. How does anxiety affect second language learning? A reply to Sparks and Ganschow. The Modern Language Journal. 1995; 79(1):90–9.
- Chiu TK, Churchill D. Adoption of mobile devices in teaching: Changes in teacher beliefs, attitudes and anxiety. Interactive Learning Environments; 2015. p. 1–11.
- Saranraj L, Zafar S, Khan ZA. Teachers’ use of motivational strategies in tertiary level ESL classrooms. Proceedings of the International Conference on Trends and Innovations in Language Teaching. IEEE Chennai; 2014. p. 462–6.
- De Freitas S. Learning in immersive worlds. A review of game-based learning. London: JISC; 2007.
- Henderson M, Huang H, Grant S, Henderson L. Language acquisition in second life: Improving self-efficacy beliefs. Proceedings of ASCILITE; 2009. p. 464–74.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.