Total views : 180
Techniques for Optimizing Power Utilization in Data Center Network Architectures: A Survey Report
Objectives: The Data Center Network (DCN) is the collection of diverse classes of resources providing storage, processing and network functionalities. The technology has evolved to a large extent such that the DCN is capable of dealing a huge quantum of data being used by people worldwide throughout the day. The DCN also produces enormous heat which requires an additional cooling kit to lessen the radiation. The power consumed by the DCNs is more than 1% of the total power consumption worldwide. This survey includes the objectives and the advantages of various methods proposed to optimize the energy utilization in the DCN. Methods/Statistical Analysis: There are several techniques which mainly focused on two main factors: 1. The topology of the DCN; Topology is built by using less number of high capacity routers and servers. 2. Optimized Selection of Routers available in the Topology to handle the traffic. There are technologies which use the resources based on the Service and Traffic Load. The resources which are unemployed are put into sleep mode. Findings: In this study, we presented a survey on various techniques and methodologies that are used to reduce the amount of power consumed in the data centers. Application/Improvement: This survey provides a wide knowledge about various methods to optimize the power consumption in the DCN. It can be referred by those who desire to explore and do experiments with the power optimization of the DCN.
DCN, Dynamic Power Allocation, Energy-Saving, Power Optimization, Recycling Energy, Routing, Topology.
- Al-Fares M, Loukissas A, Vahdat A. A scalable, commodity data center network Architecture. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM 2008 Conference on Data Communication. 2008 Oct; 38(4):63–74.
- Greenberg A, Hamilton JR, Jain N, Kandula N, Kim C, Lahiri P, Maltz DA, Patel P, Sengupta. Vl2: a scalable and flexible data center network. Communications of the ACM. 2009 Oct; 39(4):51–62.
- Mysore RN, Pamboris A, Farrington N, Huang N, Miri P, Radhakrishnan S, Subramanya V, Vahdat A. Portland: a scalable fault-tolerant layer 2 data center network fabric. SIGCOMM Computer Communication. 2009 Oct; 39(4):39–50.
- Guo C, Wu H, Tan K, Shi L, Zhang Y, Lu S. Dcell: A scalable and fault-tolerant network structure for data centers. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM 2008, Conference on Data Communication, SIGCOMM, 08, ACM, New York, NY: USA; 2008 Oct. p. 75–86.
- Guo C, Lu G, Li D, Wu H, Zhang X, Shi Y, Tian C, Zhang Y, Lu S. Bcube: A high performance, server-centric network architecture for modular data centers. SIGCOMM Computer Communication. 2009 Oct; 39(4):63–74.
- Wang T, Su Z, Xia Y, Muppala J, Hamdi M. Designing efficient high performance server-centric data center network architecture. Journal on Computer Networks. 2015 Mar; 79:283–96.
- Wang L, Zhang F, Aroca JA, Vasilakos AV, Zheng K, Hou C, Li D, Liu Z. GREENDCN: A General Framework for Achieving Energy Efficiency in Data Center Networks. Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 2014 Jan; 32(1):1–14.
- Mandal U, Habib M, Zhang S, Mukherjee B, Tornatore M. Greening the cloud using renewable-energy-aware service migration. Network. 2013 Nov–Dec; 27(6):36–43.
- Liu Z, Lin M, Wierman A, Low SH, Andrew LLH. Geographical load balancing with renewable. ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review. 2011 Dec; 39(3):62–6.
- Guan X, Choi, Song S. Topology and migration-aware energy efficient virtual network embedding for green data centers. Computer Communication and Networks. 2014 Aug:1–8.
- Heller PMB, Seetharaman S. Elastictree: Saving energy in data center networks. NSDI'10 Proceedings of the 7th USENIX Conference on Networked Systems Design and Implementation; 2010 Apr. p. 17–17.
- Huang L, Jia Q, Wang X, Yang S, Li B. Pcube: Improving power efficiency in data center networks. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD); 2011. p. 65–72.
- Zhang Y, Ansari N. HERO: Hierarchical energy optimization for data center networks. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC); 2012 Jun. p. 2924–28.
- Nedevschi S, Popa L, Iannaccone G, Ratnasamy S, Wetherall D. Reducing network energy consumption via sleeping and rate-adaptation. Proceedings of the 5th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation, NSDI,08, USENIX Association, Berkeley, CA: USA; 2008 Apr. p. 323–36.
- Kliazovich D, Bouvry P, Khan S. Dens: Data center energy-efficient network aware scheduling. Proceedings of Green Computing and Communications (GreenCom), 2010 IEEE/ACM Int. Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing (CPSCom); 2010. p. 69–75.
- Pandi MK, Somasundaram K. Energy efficient in virtual infrastructure and green cloud computing: A review. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Mar; 9(11):1–8.
- Aslekar A, Damle P. Improving efficiency of data centers in India: a review. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(S4):44–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.