Total views : 513
Lifetime Improvement in WSN using Flower Pollination Meta Heuristic Algorithm Based Localization Approach
Objectives: The nodes in a wireless sensor network are extremely energy limited. Often, there occurs transmission of similar sensed data from adjacent nodes of a geographical region with high sensor node density. Network lifetime of the sensor network can be improved by grouping such closely packed nodes using the node locations obtained from a localization algorithm, thereby eliminating redundant data transmission. Methods: This paper employs the Flower Pollination Algorithm (FPA) for node localization and the performance of this method is compared against alternative localization techniques, viz. Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) and Harmony Search Algorithm (HSA). Findings: The lifetime improvement of the proposed Proximity Grouping Algorithm (PGA) method is compared with that offered by conventional Low-Energy Adaptive Clustering Hierarchy (LEACH) method. Application/Improvements: The proposed PGA method shows 35% better network lifetime improvement, based on the residual energy of the network.
Flower Pollination Algorithm (FPA), Flower Pollination, Localization, Meta Heuristic, Network Lifetime.
- Gopakumar A, Jacob L. Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks using Particle Swarm Optimization. IET International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, 2008 Jan, p.227-30.
- Kumar CC. Sensor networks: evolution, opportunities, and challenges. Proceedings of the IEEE. 2003 Aug; 91(8):1247-56.
- Karthikeyan A, Sarkar S, Gupte AM, Srividhya V. Selection of Cluster Head Using Fuzzy Adaptive Clustering for Energy Optimization in Wireless Sensor Network. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2013 Oct; 53(1):6-13.
- Sasikumar P, Shankar T, Khara S. Balanced Cluster Head Selection Based on Modified k-Means in a Distributed Wireless Sensor Network. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. 2016 Mar; 12(3):1-11.
- Shankar T, Shanmugavel S, Karthikeyan A, Dhanabal R. Selection of Cluster Head Using Neural Network in Wireless Sensor Network. European Journal of Scientific Research. 2012 Aug; 83(3):320-73.
- Shankar T, Shanmugavel S, Karthikeyan A. Hybrid Approach for Energy Optimization in Wireless Sensor Networks Using PSO. IRECOS International Review on Computers and Software. 2013; 8(6):1454-59.
- Shankar T, Shanmugavel S, Karthikeyan A. Modified Harmony Search Algorithm for Energy Optimization in WSN. International Journal on Communications Antenna and Propagation. 2013 Aug; 3(4):214-20.
- Geem ZW, Kim JH, Loganathan GV. A new heuristic optimization algorithm: Harmony search. Simulation. 2001 Feb; 76(2):60-68.
- Yick J, Mukherjee B, Ghosal D. Wireless sensor network survey. Computer Networks. 2008 Aug; 52(12):2292-2330.
- Amundson I, Koutsoukos X. A survey on localization for mobile wireless sensor networks. Proceeding MELT'09 Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on Mobile Entity Localization and Tracking in GPS-less. 2009 Sep, p.235-54.
- Kennedy J, Eberhart R. Particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks. 1995 Nov- Dec, 4, p.1942-48.
- Lee KS, Geem ZW. A new meta-heuristic algorithm for continuous engineering optimization: harmony search theory and practice. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 2005 Sep, 194(36-38), pp. 3902–3393.
- Yang XS. Flower pollination algorithm for global optimization in Unconventional Computation and Natural Computation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. 2012 Sep, p. 240-49.
- Manjarres D, Ser JD, Lopez SG, Vecchio M. A novel heuristic approach for distance- and connectivity-based multi hop node localization in wireless sensor networks. Springer Soft Computing. 2013 Jan; 17(1):17-28.
- Balasubramani K, Marcus K. A Study on Flower Pollination Algorithm and its Applications. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering and Management. 2014 Nov; 3(11):230-35.
- Manjarres D, Ser JD, Lopez SG, Vecchio M. On the Application of a Hybrid Harmony Search Algorithm to Node Localization in Anchor-based Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Conference, on Intelligent System Design, 2011 Nov, p. 1014-1019.
- Kulkarni R. Bio-inspired node localization in wireless sensor networks. Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2009. SMC 2009. IEEE International Conference, 2009 Oct, p.205-10.
- Prathiba R, Moses MB, Sakthivel S. Flower Pollination Algorithm Applied for Different Economic Load Dispatch Problems. International Journal of Engineering and Technology (IJET). 2014 Apr-May; 6(2):1009-16.
- Shankar T, Karthikeyan A, Sivasankar P, Neha RR. Implementation of Smart sleep mechanism and hybrid data collection technique for maximizing network Lifetime in WSN’s. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 May; 8(S9):1-8.
- Syed Abdul Syed S, Senthil Kumaran T, Sarfaraz Ahmed A. An energy efficiency distributed routing algorithm based on HAC clustering method for WSNs. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014 Nov; 7(S7):66-75.
- Bhuvaneswari PTV, Vaidehi V. Enhancement techniques incorporated in LEACH- a survey. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009 May; 2(5):36-44.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.