Total views : 269
Dynamic Weight Assignment based Vertical Handoff Algorithm for Load Optimization
Objectives: Consolidating any two dissimilar networks leads to a formation of a heterogeneous wireless network. Vision to achieve distinct networks to get converged such that characterizing of the upcoming wireless networks becomes a reality. This in turn ushers in vertical handoff such that handoff among different technologies is efficient. And at the same time it is so smooth that naming it as seamless is justifiable. Pragmatic consideration of the network characteristics and the dynamics are very essential to choose one of the best available network handoff decisions. Methods: Stating conventionally, when a mobile client is roaming, a single criterion- for example, received signal strength is employed to realize the vertical handoff. But, single criterion consideration is not sufficient and taking into account of other parameters is needed for a proper handoff decision. The present paper puts forth a strong load balancing algorithm M-OPTF that is based on dynamic weight assignment technique for allocation of fresh calls and handoff calls. Findings: In the present scheme assignment of weight factor is done to attachment points basing on the distribution of load on them. In addition it contains a process for handoff decision that takes into account the velocity of mobile node to do triggering of handoff. The put forth M-OPTF algorithm is compared along with Remote Sensing Systems (RSS) and OPT-F algorithm in this paper. Application/Improvements: The simulation results confirm the fact that M-OPTF algorithm apart from balancing the network load it can effectively decrease congestion in network, reduce the number of handoffs that are unnecessary, and increases the battery life time, thus improve the overall performance of the system.
Dynamic Weight Assignment, Load Balancing, Unnecessary Handoffs, Velocity; Vertical Handoff, Weight Factor.
- Context aware vertical handover decision making in heterogeneous wireless networks. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5735809/. Date Accessed: 10/03/2010.
- Yan X, Şekercioğlu YA, Narayanan S. A survey of vertical handover decision algorithms in Fourth Generation heterogeneous wireless networks. Computer Networks. 2010 Aug; 54(11):1848-63.
- Eshanta CM, Ismail M, Jumari K, Yahaya P. VHO strategy for QoS-provisioning in the WiMAX/VVLAN interworking system. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences. 2009; 2(6):511-20.
- Performance analysis of vertical handover in a UMTS-WLAN integrated network. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1316136/. Date Accessed: 9/07/2004.
- Chen WT, Liu JC, Huang HK. An adaptive scheme for vertical handoff in wireless overlay networks. Proceedings of Tenth International Conference on ICPADS, Taiwan, 2004, p. 541-48.
- Design and evaluation of vertical handoff decision algorithm in heterogeneous wireless networks. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/4087734/. Date Accessed: 13/09/2006.
- Load shared integrated networks. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1350189/. Date Accessed: 22/04/2003.
- Nandakumar S, Khara S. Modeling and Performance Analysis of an Improved Data Channel Assignment (DCA) Scheme for 3G/WLAN Mixed Cells. International Journal of Wireless Information Networks. 2015 Mar; 22(1):10-28.
- Song W, Zhuang W, Cheng Y. Load balancing for cellular/WLAN integrated networks. IEEE Network. 2007 Jan-Feb; 21(1):27-33.
- Jin L, Zhang H, Yang L, Zhu H. A Novel Adaptive Load Balancing Algorithm in Heterogenous Wireless Networks. Journal of Information and Computational Science. 2014 May; 1548-7741.
- Zhang Y, Zhang K, Chi C, Ji Y, Feng Z, Zhang P. An adaptive threshold load balancing scheme for the end-to-end reconfigurable system. Wireless Personal Communications. 2008 Jul; 46(1):47-65.
- Bin WA. Load balancing technologies in WLAN. ZTE Communications. 2006 Oct; 12(3):46-50.
- Suleiman KH, Chan HA, Dlodlo ME. Load balancing in the call admission control of heterogeneous wireless networks. Proceedings of the International Conference on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, USA. 2006 Jul, p. 245-50.
- Liao Y, Yang SZ, Li P, Yang H, Yang LS. Integrated QoS and load balance among basic service set for channel allocation algorithm. Journal of Electronics and Information Technology. 2012 Sep; 34(9):2230-35.
- Adaptive load balancing between multiple cell layers. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1040504/. Date Accessed: 24/09/2002.
- Velmurugan T, Khara S, Basavaraj B. Modified handoff algorithm for providing optimization in heterogeneous wireless networks. Evolving Systems. 2015 Sep; 6(3):199-208.
- Velmurugan T, Khara S, Nandakumar S, Saravanan B. Seamless Vertical Handoff using Invasive Weed Optimization (IWO) algorithm for heterogeneous wireless networks. Aim Shams Engineering Journal. 2016 Mar; 7(1):101-11.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.