Total views : 1443
Mechanical Properties, Material and Design of the Automobile Piston: An Ample Review
This paper is about the mechanical properties and shape of the automobile piston in the engine. Currently downsizing of the engine is attractive field for the research which benefitted in the reduction of fuel consumption and emission pollutants from the engine. While on the other side various pressure boosters attached with the engine piston-cylinder to maintain the output power at the bar/more than the bar. These attachments cause to produce high stresses and displacement vectors in the piston-cylinder and the gas forces generated during the combustion cause to produce thermal stresses on the face of the piston which sometime may leads to the failure of piston material. To withstand all these problems the material must be strong enough. Al-Si alloy is the main alloy material to manufacturing the piston because of low co-efficient of thermal expansion, minimum weight, high hardness and strength and good wear resistance properties. In result; Shallow depth Combustion Chamber (SCC) is most suitable for low speed while Omega Combustion Chamber (OCC) is preferred for high speed, but both combustion chamber produce high amount of NOx. Maximum suitable percentage is of Si is up to 12% to 19%. While centrifugal casting is most right method to manufacture the piston and heat treatment at 540°C for 8 h and aging at 190°C for 8 h is correctly choice to achieve optimum mechanical properties by heat treatment. The ingredient material of the Al-Si alloy, the casting techniques and heat treatment techniques directly affects the mechanical properties of the piston in downsizing engine. A very careful observation is required during the manufacturing of automobile piston to achieve desired mechanical properties.
Alloying Elements, Casting Techniques, Hypereutectic Al-Si Piston alloy, Mechanical Properties, Shape of the Piston.
- Singh RC, Lal R, Ranganath MS, Chaudhary R. Failure of piston in IC engines: A review. International Journal of Modern Engineering Research. 2014; 4(9):1–10.
- Blair GP. Design and simulation of four-stroke engine. Society of Automotive Engineers. Warrendale; 1999. p. 815.
- Heywood JB. Internal combustion engine fundamentals. McGraw-Hill Inc. 1st ed. Singapore; 1989. p. 960.
- Kulazynski M, Sroka ZJ. Developing engine technology. Lodz: Print Pap; 2011.
- Pulkrabek W. Engineering fundamentals of the internal combustion engine. Pearson Prentice Hall; 2004. p. 478.
- Sroka ZJ, Dziedzioch D. Mechanical load of piston applied in downsized engine. Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering. 2015; 15(3):663–7.
- Benajes J, Pastor JV, Garcia A, Serrano MJ. An experimental investigation on the influence of piston bowl geometry on RCCI performance and emissions in a heavy-duty engine. Energy Conversion and Management. 2015; 103:1019–30.
- Li J, Yang WM, An H, Maghbouli A, Chou SK. Effects of piston bowl geometry on combustion and emission characteristics of biodiesel fueled diesel engines. Fuel. 2014; 120:66–73.
- Jaichandar S, Annamalai K. Effects of open combustion chamber geometries on the performance of pongamia biodiesel in a DI diesel engine. Fuel. 2012; 98:272–9.
- Wang X, Zhao H, Xie H. Effect of piston shapes and fuel injection strategies on stoichiometric Stratified Flame Ignition (SFI) hybrid combustion in a PFI/DI gasoline engine by numerical simulations. Energy Conversion and Management. 2015; 98:387–400.
- Harshavardhan B, Mallikarjuna JM. Effect of piston shape on in-cylinder flows and airefuel interaction in a direct injection spark ignition engine- A CFD analysis. Energy. 2015; 81:361–72.
- Singh AP, Agarwal AK. Combustion characteristics of diesel HCCI engine: An experimental investigation using external mixture formation technique. Applied Energy. 2012; 99:116–25.
- Hou LG, Cui C, Zhang JS. Optimizing microstructures of hypereutectic Al–Si alloys with high Fe content via spray forming technique. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2010; 527:6400–12.
- Tutunchilara S, Givib MKB, Haghpanahia H, Asadi P. Eutectic Al–Si piston alloy surface transformed to modified hypereutectic alloy via FSP. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2012; 534:557– 67.
- Warmuzek M. Aluminum-Silicon Casting Alloys. ASM International. 2004; 1–6.
- Dwivedi DK. The Institution of Engineers. India; 2001.
- Lee JA. Cast aluminum alloy for high temperature applications. NASM/Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) Materials. Mail Code ED33 Huntsville, AL, 358 12 USA; 2003. p. 1–8.
- Belov NA, Eskin DG, Avxentieva NN. Constituent phase diagrams of the Al–Cu–Fe–Mg–Ni–Si system and their application to the analysis of aluminum piston alloys. Acta Materialia. 2005; 53(17):4709–22.
- Hernandez FCR, Sokolowski JH. Thermal analysis and microscopically characterization of Al–Si hypereutectic alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2006; 419(1-2):180–90.
- Arsha AG, Jayakumar E, Rajan TPD, Antony V, Pai BC. Design and fabrication of functionally graded in-situ aluminum composites for automotive pistons. Materials and Design. 2015; 88:1201–9.
- Yang Y, Li Y, Wu W, Zhao D, Liu X. Effect of existing form of alloying elements on the micro hardness of Al–Si–Cu–Ni–Mg piston alloy, Materials Science and Engineering A. 2011; 528(18):5723–8.
- Huang ZL, Wang K, Zhang ZM, Li B, Xue HS, Yang DZ. Effects of Mg content on primary Mg2Si phase in hypereutectic Al−Si alloys. Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society, China. 2015; 25:3197−203.
- Tutunchilara S, Givib MKB, Haghpanahia M, Asadi P. Eutectic Al–Si piston alloy surface transformed to modified hypereutectic alloy via FSP. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2012; 534:557– 67.
- Zou QC, Jie JC, Sun JL, Wang TM, Cao ZQ, Li TJ, Zou QC, Jie JC,. Sun JL, Wang TM, Cao ZQ, Li TJ. Effect of Si content on separation and purification of the primary Si phase from hypereutectic Al–Si alloy using rotating magnetic field. Separation and Purification Technology. 2015; 142:101–7.
- Medrano FJT, Gruzleski JE, Samuel FH, Valtierra S, Doty HW. Effect of Mg and Sr-modification on the mechanical properties of 319-type aluminum cast alloys subjected to artificial aging. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2008; 480(1-2):356–64.
- Raghukiran N, Kumar R. Effect of scandium addition on the microstructure, mechanical and wear properties of the spray formed hypereutectic aluminum–silicon alloys. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2015; 641:138–47.
- Sui Y, Wang Q, Wang G, Liu T. Effects of Sr content on the microstructure and mechanical properties of cast Al–12Si–4Cu–2Ni–0.8Mg alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2015; 622:572–9.
- Rebba B, Ramanaiah N. Evaluation of mechanical properties of aluminium alloy (Al-2024) reinforced with molybdenum disulphide (MOS2) metal matrix composites. 3rd International Conference on Materials Processing and Characterisation, Procedia Materials Science; India. 2014. p. 1161–9.
- Gao T, Zhu X, Sun Q, Liu X. Morphological evolution of ZrAlSi phase and its impact on the elevated-temperature properties of Al–Si piston alloy. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2013; 567:82–8.
- Casari D, Ludwig TH, Merlin M, Arnberg L, Garagnani GL. The effect of Ni and V trace elements on the mechanical properties of A356 aluminum foundry alloy in as-cast and T6 heat treated conditions. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2014; 610:414–26.
- Huang X, Liu C, Lv X, Liu G, Li F. Aluminum alloy pistons reinforced with SiC fabricated by centrifugal casting, Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2011; 211(9):1540–46.
- Tsai FY, Kao PW. Improvement of mechanical properties of a cast Al–Si base alloy by friction stir processing. Materials Letters. 2012; 80:40–2.
- Gu Z, Sen WS, Ping A, Wu MY, Zha LS. Microstructure and properties of high silicon aluminum alloy with 2% Fe prepared by rheocasting. Transaction of Nonferrous Metals Society China. 2010; 20(9):1603−7.
- Labban HFE, Abdelaziz M, Mahmoud ERI. Preparation and characterization of squeeze cast-Al–Si piston alloy reinforced by Ni and nano-Al2O3 particles. Journal of King Saud University– Engineering Sciences. 2014; 28(2):230–9.
- Dam K, Prusa F, Vojtech D. Structural and mechanical characteristics of the Al–23Si–8Fe–5Mn alloy prepared by combination of centrifugal spraying and hot die forging. Materials Science and Engineering A. 2014; 610:197–202.
- Yang LJ. The effect of casting temperature on the properties of squeeze cast aluminum and zinc alloys. Proceedings of the 6th Asia Pacific Conference on materials Processing. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Singapore. 2003; 140(1-3):391–6.
- Sajjadi SA, Ezatpour HR, Parizi MT. Comparison of microstructure and mechanical properties of A356 aluminum alloy/Al2O3 composites fabricated by stir and compo-casting processes. Materials and Design. 2012; 34:106–11.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.