Total views : 219
Energy Efficient Design of 100Gb/s Optical DPSK Transmitter Design using UltraScale FPGA
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is growing rapidly, and ICT devices are consuming plenty of energy, for communication systems. In Gb/s transmission system high range and high- speed optical transmitter requires high power for transmitting information at long distance. The existing techniques are consuming vast amount of power, exhibits heating effect, and leakage power problems for optical transmitter of 40 Gb/s or more. In this work, an energy efficient 100Gb/s optical DPSK transmitter is designed using UltraScale Field Programming Gate Array (FPGA). The design is realized by controlling the impedance of 100Gb/s optical DPSK transmitter using Digitally Controlled Impedance (DCI) IO (Input/ Output) Standards available on UltraScale FPGA. It is determined that 80% power is reduced using designed 100Gb/s optical DPSK transmitter, for 100 GHz, 300 GHz, 900 GHz and 12 THz using High Speed Low Voltage DCI (HSLVDCI_15) IO Standard compared to optical transmitter design without IO Standard. Furthermore, using designed system 90% leakage power is also reduced. The designed energy efficient optical transmitter can be interfaced with other optical components, to provide the green optical communication.
Differential Phase Shift Keying (DPSK), Energy Efficient, Field Programming Gate Array, Laser Signal, Non-Return-to-Zero Modulation, Optical Transmitter.
- Keiser G. Optical fiber communications, 4thedn. Jhon and Wiley, Boston: U.K; 2003.
- Das B, Abdullah MFL, Shah NSM. A new all-optical signal regeneration technique for 10 GB/S DPSK transmission system. International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering. 2015; 6(2):859–69.
- Abdullah MFL, Das B, Shahida MSN, Bukhsh Q, Pandey B. Temperature control of pseudo noise generator based optical transmitter using airflow and heat sink profile at high speed transceiver logic IO standard. Journal of Automation and Control Engineering. 2016; 4(1):28–32.
- Kim H. Differential phase shift keying for 10-Gb/s and 40-Gb/s systems. Proceeding of IEEE/LEOS Workshop on Advanced Modulation Formats; 2004. p. 13–14.
- Green, WM, Rooks MJ, Sekaric L, Vlasov YA. Ultra-compact, low RF power, 10 Gb/s silicon Mach-Zehnder modulator. Optics Express. 2007; 15(25):17106–13.
- Abdullah MFL, Das B, Shahida MSN, Pandey B. Energy-efficient pseudo noise generator based optical transmitter for ethernet (IEEE 802.3 az). International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology (I4CT); 2015 Apr. p. 142–6.
- Chi N, Zhang J, Holm-Nielsen PV, Peucheret C, Jeppesen P. Transmission and transparent wavelength conversion of an optically labeled signal using ASK/DPSK orthogonal modulation. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters. 2003; 15(5):760–2.
- Shuja J, Bilal K, Madani SA, Othman M, Ranjan R, Balaji P. Survey of techniques and architectures for designing energy-efficient data centers. IEEE System Journal. 2014; 99:1–13.
- Das B. Abdullah MFL, Shahida MSN, Bakhsh Q, Pandey B. Energy efficient design of laser driver using field programming gate array. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2016; 11(16):3796–804.
- Abdullah MFL, Das B, Shahida MSN, Bakhsh Q. Current mode logic based semiconductor laser driver design for optical communication system. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(10):1–6.
- Das B, Abdullah M.F L. Low power design of high speed communication system using io standard technique over 28 nm VLSI chip. Design and Modeling of Low Power VLSI Systems. 2016; 323–51.
- Jiang J-Y, Chiang P-C, Hung H-W, Lin C-L, Yoon T, Lee J. 100Gb/s ethernet chipsets in 65nm CMOS technology. IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference Digest of Technical Papers (ISSCC); 2013. p. 120–21.
- Abdullah M, Das B, Shahida MSN, Pandey B. Energy-efficient pseudo noise generator based optical transmitter for ethernet (IEEE 802.3 az). IEEE International Conference on Computer, Communications, and Control Technology (I4CT); 2015. p. 142–6.
- Ahmed R. Towards high-level leakage power reduction techniques for FPGAs [Internet]. 2010. [Cited 2016 Feb 18]. Available from: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-05192010-020151/unrestricted/ahuja_sumit_d_2010.pdf.
- Numai T. Fabry–Perot laser diodes. Proceeding of Laser Diodes and their Applications to Communications and Information Processing; 2011. p. 123–90.
- Xilinx Inc. FPGA selected IO resources. 2014 [Internet]. [Cited 2016 Feb 18]. Available from: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug571.pdf.
- Xilinx, Inc. Power methodology [Internet]. 2013. [Cited 2016 Feb 18]. Available from: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/user_guides/ug786.pdf.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.