Total views : 333
Achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (2016-2030): International Legal Dimension
Background/Objectives: In 2015 the international community adopted a new agenda for sustainable development for the period of 2016–2030- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In the article, authors critically analyzed some of SDGs. Methods: The article used scientific methodological approach, which facilitates to determine the whole canvas of the research, identify the main aspects and concepts of the study. The research used scientific methods of cognition, i.e., dialectics, analysis, and synthesis, the method of generalization and system-structural method. The article also practiced special methods of science such as legal and technical, historical and forecasting methods. Findings: In this article, the authors critically analyze the SDGs with a view to determine problematic aspects of their implementation in the field of human rights protection, environmental protection, disaster risk reduction and management of migration and suggest ways to overcome these obstacles. Authors made many recommendations in these spheres. At the present stage, in the framework of global efforts aimed at the implementation of the SDGs, it is important to pay more attention to the mechanisms for monitoring the achievement of the goals. In this sense, a compliance review at the level of inter-regional, regional and sub-regional organizations can make a significant contribution and provide diversified, reliable and proven tools to assess progress in achieving the SDGs. Such reviews will identify regional trends, causes of problems, and similarities; they will facilitate the exchange of best practices, lessons learned and development of solutions and measures of mutual support at the global level, taking into account specific regional and sub-regional needs. Application/Improvements: The results could be used by UN bodies, inter-regional, regional and sub-regional organizations, ministers of States and other relevant stakeholders, which implements SDGs.
Disaster Risk Reduction, Environmental Protection, Human Rights Protection, International Law, International Legal Regulation of Migration, Sustainable Development.
- United Nations Development Program. Available from: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home.html
- Millennium Development Goals Report 2015. UN, New-York; 2015. Available from: http://www.un.org/ru/millenniumgoals/pdf/english2015.pdf
- UN Doc. A/68/L.4. Outcome document of the special event to follow up efforts made towards achieving the millennium development goals; 2013. Available from: https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/LTD/N13/490/97/PDF/N1349097.pdf
- Only five rich countries fulfilled their promises to render official assistance for the development purposes. UN News Centre; 2015 Sep18. Available from: http://www.un.org/russian/news/story.asp?newsID=24478#.Vf7NixG8PGc
- UN Doc. A/RES/70/1. Resolution adopted by the general assembly on 25 September 2015. Transforming our world: The 2030 agenda for sustainable development. Available from: http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1
- Call for contributions to the UN global sustainable development report; 2016. Available from: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/8541Call_for_briefs_2016_ENGLISH_rev4.pdf
- Crowd sourced briefs. Sustainable development knowledge platform. Available from: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/topics/science/crowdsourcedbriefs
- Desa BH. Multilateral environmental agreements legal status of the secretariats. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2013.
- Pedersen OW. An international environmental court and international legalism. Journal of Environmental Law. 2012; 24(3):547–58. DOI: 10.1093/jel/eqs022.
- Usher E. The millennium development goals and migration, IOM; 2005. Available from: http://www.solutionexchange-un-gen-gym.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/The-millenium-Development-Goals.pdf
- DeWind J, Holdaway J, editors. Migration and development within and across borders: Research and policy perspectives on internal and international migration. Hammersmith Press; 2008.
- Cortina J, Ochoa-Reza E, editors. New Perspectives on international migration and development. Columbia University Press; 2013.
- Laczko F, Lonnback LJ, editors. Migration and the United Nations Post-2015 Development Agenda. IOM; 2013. Available from: http://publications.iom.int/system/files/pdf/migration_and_the_un_post2015_agenda.pdf
- Bakewell O. Migration makes the sustainable development goals agenda – time to celebrate? News. Opinion. Oxford Martin School; 2015 Dec 11. Available from: http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/opinion/view/315
- The human cost of weather-related disasters 1995-2015. Report of The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction and Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters Institute of Health and Society Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL); 2015. Available from: http://www.unisdr.org/2015/docs/climatechange/COP21_WeatherDisastersReport_2015_FINAL.pdf
- Goklany IM. Death and death rates from extreme weather events: 1900-2008. Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons. 2009; 14(4):102–9. Available from: http://www.jpands.org/vol14no4/goklany.pdf
- UN Doc. A/RES/69/283. Resolution 69/283. Sendai framework for disaster risk reduction 2015–2030; 2015. Available from: http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/69/283
- Evans P, Fox-Penner P. Resilient and sustainable infrastructure for urban energy systems solutions. 2014; 5(5):48–54. Available from: http://www.thesolutionsjournal.com/node/237206
- General comment No. 22 (2016) on the right to sexual and reproductive health (article 12 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights) UN Doc. E/C.12/GC/22. 4 March; 2016. Available from: https://documents-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/G16/089/32/PDF/G1608932.pdf?OpenElement
- Abshidze AKh, Koneva AE. Human rights treaty bodies: Manual. 2nd ed. Moscow: PFUR Press; 2015.
- Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights. General Comment 14. The right to the highest attainable standard of health “article 12 of the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights” UN Doc. E/C.12/2000/4. Available from: http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Issues/Women/WRGS/Health/GC14.pdf
- UN Doc. A/70/342, para. 119. Report of the Special Rapporteur on the right to education; 2015. Available from: http://www.right-to-education.org/sites/right-to-education.org/files/resource-attachments/UN GA 70 SR Education Report EN.pdf
- Abashidze AKh, Koneva AE. Sustainable Development Goals in terms of former and new challenges. Challenges of XXI Century. Moscow: PFUR Press; 2016.
- UN Doc. A/RES/68/268. Resolution 68/268. Strengthening and enhancing the effective functioning of the human rights treaty body system; 2014. Available from: http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/68/268
- Abshidze AKh, Koneva AE, Solntsev AM. International protection of economic, social and cultural rights: Course Program. Moscow: PFUR Press; 2015.
- Solntsev AM. Contribution of the 1998 Aarhus Convention for the protection of human rights Contemporary law. 2014; 7:130–5.
- The International Disaster Database – EM-DAT. Available from: http://www.emdat.be/database
- UN Doc. А/70/1. P. 9. Report of the United Nations Secretary-General on the work of the Organization. New York; 2015. Available from: http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/70/1
- Report of the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development. Rio de Janeiro, 1992 UN Doc. A/CONF.151/26. Paras. 7.55–7.66. Available from: http://www.un.org/esa/dsd/agenda21/Agenda 21.pdf
- Kruglov DA. International legal aspects of using space technologies in disaster management. Bulletin of Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia. Series: Law. 2014; 3:262–74.
- Kiseleva EV. International legal regulation of migration: Past and present. A monograph. Moscow: PFUR Press; 2015. p. 38–49.
- Official list of MDG indicators prior to the 2007 revision. Millennium Development Goals Indicators. The official United Nations site for the MDG Indicators; 2003. Available from: http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mdg/Host.aspx?Content=Indicators/OfficialList2003x.htm
- Official list of MDG indicators. 2008. Millennium Development Goals Indicators. The official United Nations site for the MDG Indicators. Available from: http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mdg/Host.aspx?Content=Indicators/OfficialList.htm
- Kiseleva EV, Kazhaeva OS. Human rights-based approach towards migration and millennium development goals. Russian Law Journal. 2015; 6:131–41.
- Kiseleva EV. Migration statistics significance for international law. Bulletin of PFUR. Series 'Law'. 2015; 4:40–47.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.