Total views : 284
Design and Development of an Embedded System for the Measurement of Boltzmann’s Constant
Objectives: In this paper we present the design and development of an embedded system for the measurement of Boltzmann’s constant using Texas Instruments’ microcontroller: MSP430G2553. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: A transistor connected in common-base configuration with collector and base maintained at the same voltage (known as diode connected transistor or Transdiode) is used as the Device Under Test (DUT). The base-emitter voltage (VBE) is varied by a stepper motorized potentiometer whose rotation is controlled by microcontroller. The collector current (IC) is measured by converting it into voltage (V) by I-to-V converter using operational amplifier. The temperature of the bath where DUT is placed is measured using LM35 temperature sensor. The base-emitter voltage VBE, collector current IC and temperature in Kelvin T are measured using MSP430G2553 microcontroller. The data is captured using terminal software PuTTY. These files are imported to the scientific graph plotting software Origin. The graphs are drawn between natural log values of IC versus VBE at ambient temperature. To perform the measurement at different temperatures a heater system with constant current source is designed and constructed in the laboratory. Findings: From the slope of ln(IC) versus VBE graph Boltzmann’s constant is calculated. The values of Boltzmann’s constant at different temperatures are averaged and compared with standard CODATA (2014) value and percentage of error is determined. Application/Improvement: Microcontroller based embedded system for the measurement of Boltzmann’s constant is rarely seen in literature. In the present work, a fully automatic electronic circuit for the estimation of Boltzmann’s constant is designed and developed. The system is built around Texas Instruments’ MSP430G2553 microcontroller and cost-effective, off-the-shelf components are used in the circuit construction.
Boltzmann’s Constant, Diode Connected Transistor, Energia, Embedded System, MSP430G2553 Microcontroller, PuTTY, Transdiode.
- Fred W, Inmann I, Carl E, Miller M. The Measurement of e/k in the Introductory Physics Laboratory. AJP. 1973; 41:349–51.
- Feng XJ, Lin H, Gillis KA, Moldover MR, Zhang JT. Test of a virtual cylindrical acoustic resonator for determining the Boltzmann constant. Metrologia. 2015; 52(5):343–52.
- Pitre L, Sparasci F, Risegari L, Guianvarc’h CMD, Plimmer P, Himbert ME. Improved apparatus to determine the Boltzmann constant using a large quasi-spherical acoustic resonator. IEEE, France. 2014; 206–7.
- Hald J, Nielsen L, Jan C, Petersen P. A spectroscopic determination of the Boltzmann constant. IEEE. 2009; 10(9):1–10.
- Truong G W, Anstie JD, May EF, Stace TM, Luiten AN. Accurate lineshape spectroscopy and the Boltzmann constant. Nature communications. 2015; 6(8345):1–6.
- Cun-Feng C, Sun YR, Shui-Ming H. Optical determination of the Boltzmann constant. Chin Phys B. 2015; 24(5):1–6.
- Mejri S, Sow PLT, Kozlova O, Ayari C, Tokunaga SK, Chardonnet C, Briaudeau S, Darquie B, Rohart F, Daussy C. Measuring the Boltzmann constant by mid-infrared laser spectroscopy of ammonia. Metrologia. 2015; 52(1):314–23.
- Fellmuth B, Fischer J, Gaiser C, Jusko O, Priruenrom T, Sabuga W, Zandt T. Determination of the Boltzmann constant by dielectric-constant gas thermometry. 2011; 48(5):1–23.
- Rodriguez-Luna JC, Urquijo JD. A simple, sensitive circuit to measure Boltzmann’s constant from Johnson’s noise. European Journal Physics. 2010; 31(3):675–9.
- Pollarolo A, Jeong T, Samuel P, Benz Rogalla BH. Johnson Niose Thermometry Measurement of the Boltzmann Constant With a 200 Ω Sense resistor. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. 2013; 62(6):1512–7.
- Urano C, Yamada T, Yamazawa K, Fukuyama Y, Kaneko N, Maruyama M, Domae A, Yamamori T, Yoshida S, Kiryu S. Development of Thermodynamic Temperature Measurement System Based on Quantum Voltage Noise Source at NMIJ. IEEE, Japan. 2014; 30–1.
- Fred W, Inmann I, Carl E, Miller M. The Measurement of e/k in the Introductory Physics Laboratory. AJP. 1973; 41(1):349–51.
- Evans DE. Measurement of Boltzmann’s constant. Physics Education. 1986; 21(4):296–9.
- Sconza A, Torzo G, Viola G. Experiment on the physics of the PN junction. American Journal of Physics. 1994; 62(1):66–70.
- Nakroshis P, Amoroso M, Legere J, Smith C. Measuring Boltzmann’s constant using video microscopy of Brownian motion. Am J Phys. 2003; 71(6):568–73.
- Shusteff M, Burg TP, Manalis SR. Measuring Boltzmann’s constant with a low-cost atomic force microscope: An undergraduate experiment. Am J Phys. 2006; 74(10):873–9.
- Tyukodi B, Sarkozi ZS, Neda Z, Tunyagi A, Gyorke E. The Boltzmann constant from a snifter. European Journal of Physics. 2012; 33(2):455–65.
- Ivanov D, Nikolov S. Measuring Boltzmann’s constant with carbon dioxide. Physics education. 2013; 48(6):713–7.
- Sastry JKR, Ganesh JV, Bhanu JS. I2C based Networking for Implementing Heterogeneous Microcontroller based Distributed Embedded Systems. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(15):1–10
- Fundamental physical constants. Available from: http://physics.nist.gov/constants, Date accessed: 9/9/2016.
- LF356, Wide bandwidth single J-FET operational amplifiers. Available from: http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~phylabs/bsc/PDFFiles/LF356.pdf, Date accessed: 15/3/2016.
- LM35 Precision Centigrade Temperature Sensors. Available from: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm35.pdf, Date accessed: 29/6/2016.
- MSP430G2x53 mixed signal controller. Available from: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msp430g2553.pdf, Date accessed: 16/6/2014
- Energia, Prototyping software to make things easy. Available from: http://www.energia.nu/, Date accessed: 9/3/2016
- Gummadi S, Kanchi RR. Embedded System Laboratory Design using Texas Instruments’ Launch Pad with Energia. International Journal of Conceptions on Computing and Information Technology. 2015; 3(1):62–8.
- Download PuTTY. Available from: http://www.putty.org/, Date accessed:15/6/2016
- Origin lab. Available from: http://originlab.com/, Date accessed:3/6/2016
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.