Total views : 243
Contraceptive Knowledge and Contraceptive Attitudes among University Students in Korea
Objectives: Sexual health is a very important public health matter for young people. The purpose of this study was to examine contraceptive knowledge and contraceptive attitudes among university students in Korea. Methods/Statistical analysis: As a cross-sectional study, a questionnaire survey was conducted in S university and an investigation carried out by a structured survey of 223 college students. Data was collected in July 1 to 15, 2015. SPSS program 19.0 (SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA) was used to analyze the data. Findings: The results are as follows: The mean of correct answers on contraceptive knowledge was 7.50 (SD=3.37) for 15 items. The mean score of contraceptive attitudes was 3.74 (SD=0.34) on a five-point scale. Contraceptive knowledge had a positive correlation with contraceptive attitudes (r=0.23, p=0.001). That is, as the subjects have better contraceptive knowledge, they also have positive contraceptive attitudes. Improvements/Applications: We advise that promotion of contraceptive-related knowledge be targeted towards university students. Contraceptive education should be sustained and reinforced among the university students in Korea.
Attitudes, Contraception, Knowledge, Students, University.
- Yilmaz HB, Kavlak O, Atan SU. Sexual activity, knowledge and contraceptive usage by gender among university students in Turkey. The European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care. 2010 Dec; 15(6):433–40.
- Widman L, Welsh DP, McNulty JK, Little KC. Sexual communication and contraceptive use in adolescent dating couples. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2006 Dec; 39(6):893–9.
- Delva W, Wuillaume F, Vansteelandt S, Claeys P, Verstraelen H, Temmerman M. Sexual behaviour and contraceptive use among youth in the Balkans. The European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care. 2007 Dec, 12(4):309–16.
- Capuano S, Simeone S, Scaravilli G, Raimondo D, Balbi C. Sexual behaviour among Italian adolescents: Knowledge and use of contraceptives. The European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health Care. 2009 Aug; 14(4):285–9.
- Hur MH, Ahn HY, Kwak EA, Kim KM, Park JY, Lee JR. A study on sexual behavior, and correlation between knowledge of contraception and attitude of contraception among university students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2007 Apr; 37(3):267–75.
- Eisenberg ME, Neumark-Sztainer D, Lust KD. Weight-related issues and high-risk sexual behaviors among college students. Journal of American College Health. 2005 Sep–Oct; 54(2):95–101.
- Kim HJ. Investigation on the actual condition of artificial abortion and establishment of action plan, Seoul: Ministry of health and welfare; 2005 Sep. Report No. R0408081.
- The 2012 national survey on fertility, family health and welfare in Korea [Internet]. [cited 2016 Apr 18]. Available from: https://www.kihasa.re.kr/english/publications/eng_research/view.do?ano=717&menuId=68&tid=34&bid=30.
- Cooper ML. Alcohol use and risky sexual behavior among college students and youth: Evaluating the evidence. Journal of Studies on Alcohol. 2002 Mar; (14):101–17.
- Abma JC, Sonenstein FL. Sexual activity and contraceptive practices among teenagers in the United States, 1988 and 1995. Vital and health statistics, Series 23. 2001 Apr; 21:1–79.
- Sex knowledge, attitudes, and high-risk sexual behaviors among unmarried youth in Hong Kong [Internet]. [cited 2013 Jul 29]. Available from: http://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-13-691.
- Huber LR, Ersek JR. Contraceptive use among sexually active university students. Journal of Women's Health. 2009 Jul; 18(7):1063–70.
- Kim SC. Effectiveness of video-based intervention on contraception for adolescents, [Master's Thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2003.
- Choi JH, Kim KE, Shin MA. Contraceptive knowledge, contraceptive attitude, and contraceptive use among college students: Function of gender, age, and residence. Korean Journal of Human Ecology. 2010; 19(3):511–22.
- Kim MO, Choi JH. A study on sexual behavior, sexual knowledge, and sexual assertiveness among Korean college students. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Aug; 9(29):1–8.
- Kim MH. Sexual knowledge, sexual attitudes, and contraceptive knowledge among male high school students in Korea. Advanced Science and Technology Letters. 2015; 104:1–4.
- Mo HS, Oh HE, Cho E. A study on the relationship between risk behaviors, sexual knowledge, sexual attitudes, and sexual experience in male high school students. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2006 Sep; 12(3):210–20.
- Min SH, Yun SY. The analysis of spiritual well-being and sexual attitude of female high school students. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(25):1–6.
- Lee HS. A study on knowledge, attitude, experience in sex and the needs of sex education of one women's college. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2002; 8(1):131–44.
- Wang RH, Wang HH, Hsu MT. Factors associated with adolescent pregnancy- A sample of Taiwanese female adolescents. Public Health Nursing. 2003 Jan–Feb; 20(1):33–41.
- Kongnyuy EJ, Ngassa P, Fomulu N, Wiysonge CS, Kouam L, Doh AS. A survey of knowledge, attitudes and practice of emergency contraception among university students in Cameroon. Boston Medical Center Emergency Medicine. 2007 Jul; 7(1):1–7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.