Total views : 687
Analysis of Business Framework for Internet of Things
Objectives: The development of an IoT business according to suitable business framework is essential for the success of IoT businesses. This paper aims to develop a business model framework especially for IoT-based business. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Literature survey interviews with practitioners have been administered to define factors and their attributes relevant to the business model for IoT-based businesses. The survey was distributed to 150 interviewees in Korea. The survey gathered 108 responses. An exploratory factor analysis was deployed to determine whether unobserved factors are underlying the “blocks” (IoT technology, business strategy and process, cost structure, selected business area). Findings: As the result of this study, several variables are excluded in each factor, because their validity and reliability are not acceptable. For example, the factor “IoT technology” contains only 2 variables, “ICT technology” and “R&D capacity”. The other factors have also same result after factor analysis. In case of the factor “Application area”, the variables, “Supply chain”, “Transport”, “Smart home” are chosen because the interviewees believe that IoT business in these application areas will be promising and profitable. Subsequently, the modified business model framework for the IoT business is illustrated as the result of this paper. The result of this study could be changed according to the interest and knowledge of respondents. The framework suggested in this paper can be a good reference to the business developers, who are interested in planning and creating an Internet of Things business as new business opportunities. Improvements/Applications: This paper shows the orientation about how to construct the IoT business model and may serve as a reference guide on how the IoT business frameworks could be formulated.
Business Framework, Business Model, Communication Technology, Internet of Things (IoT), Research Model.
- Internet of Things by the numbers: Market estimates and forecasts. 2014. Available from: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gilpress/2014/08/22/internet-of-things-by-the-numbers-market-estimates-and-forecasts/#2d1ab4472dc9
- Gartner. Gartner says 4.9 billion connected things will be in use. 2014. Available from: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2905717
- Choi HH, Chung JW. The rise of the Internet of Things and its potential impacts on consumers and society. Journal of the Korea Management Engineers Society. 2016; 21(1):95–107.
- Jerpott T, May S. Integration of Internet of Things components into a firm’s offering portfolio – A business development framework. Emerald Insight. 2016; 18(2):53–63.
- Brody P, Pureswaren V. The next digital gold rush: How the Internet of Things will create liquid, transparent markets. Strategy and Leadership. 2015; 43(1):36–41.
- Sun Y, Yan H, Lu C, Bie R, Thomas P. A holistic approach to visualizing business models for Internet of Things. Communications in Mobile Computing. 2012 Dec; 1(4):1–7.
- Dijkman RM, Sprenkels B, Peeters T, Janssen A. Business models for the Internet of Things. International Journal of Information Management. 2015 Dec; 35(6):672–8.
- How smart connected products are transforming competition. 2014. Available from: https://hbr.org/2014/11/how-smart-connected-products-are-transforming-competition
- Giudice MD. Discovering the Internet of Things (IoT) within the business process management. Business Process Management Journal. 2016; 22(2):263–70.
- Li H, Xu ZZ. Research on business model of Internet of Things based on MOP. Berlin-Heidelberg; 2013. p. 1131–8.
- Wirtz BW, Schilke O. Strategic development of business models: Implications of the Web 2.0 for creating value on the Internet. Long Range Planning. 2010 Apr-Jun; 43(2-3):271–90.
- Zancul ES, Takey SM. Business process support for IoT based Product-Service Systems (PSS). Business Process Management Journal. 2016; 22(2):305–23.
- Shabani S. A conceptual business model to improve the environment for small and medium business. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(27):1–11.
- Kim LS. Components of business model and their influence on a firm performance. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):139–44.
- Fornell C, Larcker DF. Evaluating structural equation model with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research. 1981 Feb; 18(1):39–50.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.