Total views : 262
Online Store Selection Attributes and Patronage Intentions: An Empirical Analysis of the Indian E-Retailing Industry
Objectives: This research aims to develop a multi-criteria based evaluation and subsequent prioritization of online retail patronage attributes of Indian consumers for improving the performance of the online stores. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The relative importance and ranking of online retail patronage intentions of Indian customers were done through a literature review, discussion with experts, and the Analytical Hierarchy Process (AHP) approach. In all, 16 e-retail attributes were identified and further divided into five-factor categories. Then their prioritization was done using AHP approach in the context of the Indian e-retailing industry to overcome the drawbacks of perception based evaluation measures. Findings: The empirical results suggest that Indian customers place a very high importance on outcome quality followed by service recovery. The results of the study support the notion that Indian consumers are more utilitarian and are more apprehensive about the risks of online transaction in the context of Indian culture which is predominantly skewed towards uncertainty avoidance. As online retail store managers cannot allocate equal amounts of efforts and resources to each individual online store attributes due to the limitation of resources, the findings of this study will help online retail managers in providing insights into patronizing intentions of Indian customers towards online store attributes. The results of the study also offer Indian retail managers in effective utilization of scarce resources in developing online stores considering the Indian culture and context. Application/Improvements: The results will help managers to focus and improve the performance of the online stores based on relative importance and patronage intentions of Indian customers.
Customer Satisfaction, E-Retailing Industry, Online Retail, Patronage Intention, Store Selection.
- Goktan AB, Miles G. Innovation Speed and Radicalness: Are they Inversely Related? Management Decision. 2011; 49(4):533–47.
- Lee HH, Fiore AM, Kim J. The Role of the Technology Acceptance Model in Explaining Effects of Image Interactivity Technology on Consumer Responses, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 2006; 34(8):621–44.
- Liu C. Modeling Consumer Adoption of the Internet as a Shopping Medium: An Integrated Perspective. Cambria Press: Youngstown, NY, 2007.
- Ha S, Stoel L. Consumer E-Shopping Acceptance: Antecedents in a Technology Acceptance Model, Journal of Business Research. 2009; 62(5):565–71.
- Forsythe S, Liu, C, Shannon D, Gardner LC. Development of a Scale To Measure the Perceived Benefits and Risks of Online Shopping, Journal of Interactive Marketing. 2006; 20(2):55–75.
- Ganesh J, Reynolds KE, Luckett M, Pomirleanu, N. Online Shopper Motivations, and E-Store Attributes: An Examination of Online Patronage behavior and Shopper Typologies, Journal of Retailing. 2010; 86(1):106–15.
- Yoo B, Donthu N. Developing a Scale to Measure the Perceived Quality of an Internet Shopping Site (SITEQUAL), Quarterly Journal of Electronic Commerce. 2001; 2(1):31–46.
- Pan Y, Zinkhan GM. Determinants of Retail Patronage: A Meta-Analytical Perspective, Journal of Retailing. 2006; 82(3):229–43.
- Zhang M, Huang L, Zhen H, Wang AG. E-service Quality Perceptions: An Empirical Analysis of the Chinese E-Retailing Industry, Total Quality Management and Business Excellence. 2014. DOI: 10.1080/14783363.2014.933555.
- Barrera RB, Carrión GC. Simultaneous Measurement of Quality in Different Online Services, The Service Industries Journal. 2014; 34(2):12344.
- Tsao WC, Tseng YL. The Impact of Electronic Service Quality on Online Shopping behaviour, Total Quality and Business Excellence. 2011; 22(9):100724.
- Liu CT, Guo YM, Hsieh TY. Measuring user Perceived Service Quality of Online Auction Sites, The Service Industries Journal. 2010; 30(7):117797.
- Liao Z, Cheung MT. Internet-based E-Shopping and Consumer Attitudes: An Empirical Study, Information and Management. 2001; 38(5):299–306.
- Salmi A, Sharafutdinova E. Culture and Design in Emerging Markets: The Case of Mobile Phones in Russia, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing. 2008; 23(6):384–394.
- Kim JH, Kim C. E-Service Quality Perceptions: A Cross-Cultural Comparison of American and Korean Consumers, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing. 2010; 4(3):257–275.
- Trends in India’s eCommerce Market. Date accessed: 15/08/2016. Available at: http://www.Forrester_Trends_In_Indias_eCommerc.
- Online Retail in India: Clicking Towards Growth. Date accessed 15/06/2016. Available at: http://www.in-cb-online-retail-in-india-clicking-towards-growth-noexp.
- Hair JF, Anderson RE, Tatham, RL, Black WC. Multivariate Data Analysis, Prentice-Hall International Inc: New Jersey, 1998.
- dell’Olio L, Ibeas A, Cecı´n P. Modelling User Perception of Bus Transit Quality, Transport Policy. 2010; 17(6):38897.
- Ranganathan C, Ganapathy S. Key Dimensions of Business-To-Consumer Web Sites, Information and Management. 2002; 39(6):457–65.
- Aladwani A, Palvia P. Developing and Validating an Instrument for Measuring user Perceived Web Quality, Information and Management. 2002; 39:46776.
- Featherman MS, Valacich JS, Wells JD. Is that Authentic or Artificial? Understanding Consumer Perceptions of Risk in E-Service Encounters, Information Systems Journal. 2006; 16(2):107–34.
- Santos J. E-service Quality: A Model of Virtual Service Quality Dimensions, Managing Service Quality. 2003; 13(3):233–46.
- Elliott MT, Speck PS. Factors that Affect Attitude Toward a Retail Web Site, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice. 2005; 13(1):40–51.
- Janani V, Krishnamoorthy K. Evaluation of Cloud Based Performance Testing for Online Shopping Websites, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):17.
- Arnold MJ, Reynolds KE. Hedonic Shopping Motivations, Journal of Retailing. 2003; 79(2):77–95.
- Liu C, Forsythe S, Black WC. Beyond Adoption: Sustaining Online Shopping, The International Review of Retail, Distribution and Consumer Research. 2011; 21(1):7193.
- Kim M, Kim, JH, Lennon SJ. Online Service Attributes Available on Apparel Retail Web Sites: An E-S-QUAL Approach, Managing Service Quality. 2006; 16(1):51–77.
- Rolland S, Freeman I. A New Measure of E-Service Quality in France, International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management. 2010; 38(7):497–517.
- Collier JE, Bienstock CC. Measuring Service Quality in E-Retailing, Journal of Service Research. 2006; 8(3):260–75.
- O’Brien L, Jones C. Do Rewards Really Create Loyalty? Harvard Business Review.1995; 73(3):75–82.
- Cigliano J, Georgiadis M, Pleasance D, Whalley S. The Price of Loyalty, McKinsey Quarterly. 2000; 4:68–77.
- Thorbjørnsen H, Supphellen M, Nysvee H, Pederson PE. Building Brand Relationships Online: A Comparison of Two Interactive Applications, Journal of Interactive Marketing. 2002; 16(3):17–34.
- Yang Z, Jun M. Consumer Perceptions of E-Service Quality: From Internet Purchaser and Non-Purchaser Perspectives, Journal of Business Strategies. 2002; 19(1):19–41.
- Cai S, Jun M. Internet Users’ Perceptions of Online Service Quality: A Comparison of Online Buyers and Information Searchers, Managing Service Quality. 2003; 13(6):504–19.
- Ribbink D, Van Riel ACR, Liljander V, Streukens S. Comfort your Online Customer: Quality, Trust, and Loyalty on the Internet, Managing Service Quality. 2004; 14(6):446–56.
- Flavia´n C, Guinalı´u M, Gurrea, R. The Role Played by Perceived Usability, Satisfaction and Consumer Trust on Website Loyalty, Information and Management. 2006; 43(1):1–14.
- Janda S, Trocchia PJ, Gwinner, KP. Consumer Perceptions of Internet Retail Service Quality, International Journal of Service Industry Management. 2002; 13:412–31.
- Thyagarajan G, Saifil A. Analysis of Reverse Logistics Implementation Barriers in Online Retail Industry, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(19):16.
- Parasuraman A, Zeithaml VA, Malhotra A. E-S-QUAL: A Multiple-Item Scale for Assessing Electronic Service Quality, Journal of ServiceResearch. 2005; 7(3):213–33.
- Bansal HS, McDougall GHG, Dikolli SS, Sedatole KL. Relating E-Satisfaction to behavioral Outcomes: An Empirical Study, Journal of Service Marketing. 2004; 18(4):290–302.
- Kuo YF, Wu, CM. Satisfaction and Post-Purchase Intentions with Service Recovery of Online Shopping Websites: Perspectives on Perceived Justice and Emotions, International Journal of Information Management. 2012; 32(2):127–38.
- Endo S, Yang J, Park JK. The Investigation on Dimensions of E-Satisfaction for Online Shoes Retailing, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services. 2012; 19(4):398–405.
- Vaerenbergh YV, Keyser AD, Lariviere B. Customer Intentions to Invoke Service Guarantees: Do Excellence in Service Recovery, Type of Guarantee and Cultural Orientation Matter? Managing Service Quality. 2014; 24(1):45–62.
- Meng JG, Mummalaneni V. Measurement Equivalency of Web Service Quality Instruments: A Test on Chinese and African American Consumers, Journal of International Consumer Marketing. 2010; 22(3):259–69.
- Santouridis I, Trivellas P, Reklitis P. Internet Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction: Examining Internet banking in Greece, Total Quality Management & Business Excellence. 2009; 20(2):223–39.
- Wolfinbarger M, Gilly MC. Etailq: Dimensionalizing, Measuring and Predicting Retail Quality, Journal of Retailing. 2003; 79(3):183–98.
- Hogreve J, Gremler DD. Twenty Years of Service Guarantee Research: A synthesis, Journal of Service Research. 2009; 11(4):322–43.
- Zeithaml VA, Parasuraman A, Malhotra A. Service Quality Delivery through Web Sites: A Critical Review of Extant Knowledge, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 2002; 30(4):362–75.
- Aaker, DA. Managing Brand Equity. The Free Press: New York, 1991.
- Campbell MC. Building Brand Equity, International Journal of Medical Marketing.2002; 2(3):208–18.
- Page C, Lepkowska-White E. Web Equity: A Framework for Building Consumer Value in Online Companies, Journal of Consumer Marketing. 2002; 19(3):231–46.
- Dhote T, Jog Y, Gavade N, Shrivastava G. Effectiveness of Digital Marketing in Education: An Insight into Consumer Perceptions, Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(54):2005.
- Shergill GS, Chen Z. Web-Based Shopping: Consumers’ Attitudes Towards Online Shopping in New Zealand, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research. 2005; 6(2):79–94.
- Prasad C, Aryasri A. Determinants of Shopper behavior in E-Tailing: An Empirical Analysis, Paradigm. 2009; 13(1):73–83.
- Hair JF, Black WC, Babin, BJ. Multivariate Data Analysis: A Global Perspective, Pearson Education: New Jersey, 2010.
- Saaty TL. Fundamental of Decision Making and Priority Theory with the Analytic Hierarchy Process, RWS Publication: Pittsburg, 2000.
- Black K. Business Statistics: Contemporary Decision Making. Hoboken, John Wiley & Sons: NJ, 2010.
- Marimon F, Vidgen R, Barnes S, Cristobal, E. Purchasing behaviour in an Online Supermarket: The Applicability of E-S-QUAL, International Journal of Market Research. 2010; 52(1):111–29.
- Yang HE, Cheng WJ, Chan JY, Pan BC, Chen CS. Applying an Extended E-SQual Scale to Assess the Effects of E-Service Quality on Online Loyalty with Customer Satisfaction and Perceived Value as Mediators. Proceedings of 9th WSEAS International Conference on Applied Computer and Applied Computational Science. Hangzhou, China, 2010, p. 55–9.
- Boshoff C. A Psychometric Assessment of E-S-QUAL: A Scale to Measure Electronic Service Quality, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research. 2007; 8(1):101–14.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.