Total views : 241
Theoretical and Numerical Analysis of Convective Recuperator for an Oil Fired Water Tube Boiler to Improve the Boiler Performance
Objectives: This paper deals with the theoretical and numerical analysis of a convective recuperator used to recover waste heat from the stack flue gases and use it to pre heat the air before it is fed into the combustion chamber of an oil fired water tube boiler. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Three different tube diameters are considered in the present study. Theoretical analysis is carried out to determine the efficiency and other parameters of the boiler with and without recuperator. To support the theoretically obtained results on improved boiler performance by pre heating the air using recuperator, numerical simulation studies is carried out. Findings: The study showed that 10” inch (0.254 m) pipe diameter arranged in a 3 x 3 array gave a flow velocity of air at around 15 to 25 m/s. The stack flue gas exit temperature decreased from 200oC to 135.50oC whereas the inlet air temperature after pre heating through the recuperator is found to be 85oC with a rise in temperature of around 50oC. After pre heating the air, the efficiency of the boiler improved from 71.90% to 74.60%. The quantity of furnace oil saved per day is 3.76% with respect to its present consumption level. CFD simulations are carried out using ANSYS CFX. A good agreement is found between the data obtained from simulation and theoretical analysis. Payback period by incorporating the recuperator to the existing boiler is estimated to be 60 working days. Application/ Improvements: Optimized performance improvement of existing boiler used in industries is possible without extensive redesign by recovering waste heat leading to energy conservation.
Air, Boiler, Convective Recuperator, Flue Gas, Performance, Pre Heat.
- Reay DA. Heat recovery – an opportunity for process redesign or a case for retrofitting. Heat Recovery Systems. 1985; 5(5):387-395.
- Pulat E, Etemoglu AB, Can M. Waste-heat recovery potential in Turkish textile industry: Case study for city of Bursa, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2009; 13(3):663–72.
- Wang D, Bao A, Kunc W, Liss W. Coal power plant flue gas waste heat and water recovery. Applied Energy. 2012; 91(1):341–8.
- Srimuang W, Amatachaya P. A review of the applications of heat pipe heat exchangers for heat recovery. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012; 16(6):4303–15.
- Stehlik P. Heat transfer as an important subject in waste to energy systems. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2007; 27(10):1658–70.
- Villar A, Arribas JJ, Parrondo J. Waste to energy technologies in continuous process industries. Clean Technologies Environmental Policy. 2012; 14(1):29–39.
- Bell KJ. Heat exchanger design for the process industries. ASME Journal of Heat Transfer. 2004; 126(6):877–85.
- Zhang JF, He YL, Tao WQ. 3D numerical simulation on shell and tube heat exchangers with middle overlapped helical baffles and continuous baffles - part II: Simulation results of periodic model and comparison between continuous and noncontinuous helical baffles. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2009; 25(23–24):5381–9.
- Zhang JF, He YL, Tao WQ. 3D numerical simulation on shell and tube heat exchangers with middle overlapped helical baffles and continuous baffles - Part I: Numerical model and results of whole heat exchanger with middle overlapped helical baffles. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2009; 52(23–24):5371–80.
- Karri VSK. A theoretical investigation of efficiency enhancement in thermal power plants. Modern Mechanical Engineering. 2012; 2(3):106–13.
- Song X, Zhang C, Li P, Zheng J, Hu Y, Hou X, Xu G. Experiment and analysis on flue gas low temperature corrosion monitoring. Energy and Power Engineering. 2013; 5(4):1383–6.
- Rao MN. Improving the overall heat transfer coefficient of an air preheater by design fabrication and CFD analysis. International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications; 2010. p. 45–51.
- Sapkal PN, Baviskar PR, Sable MJ, Barve SB. To optimize air preheater design for better performance, New Aspects of Fluid Mechanics. Heat Transfer and Environment; 2010. p. 61–9.
- Liu L, Zou L. The present situation and the future of air preheater in power. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Materials Engineering, Manufacturing Technology and Control (ICMEMTC); 2016. p. 385–9.
- Srinivasan V. Analysis of dynamic load characteristics on hydrostatic bearing with variable viscosity and temperature using simulation technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(S6):1–7.
- Gerami AM, Soleimani HR, Arabshahi H, Khalvati MR. Temperature and doping dependencies of hot electron transport properties in bulk GaP, InP and Ga0.5In0.5p. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2009; 2(10):1–4.
- Sujatha P, Janardhanam PVS. Effect of initial elevated metal temperature on mechanical properties of an ARC–welded mild steel plate. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010; 3(12):1–5.
- Debbarma A, Pandey KM. CFD study of rewetting nuclear fuel rod bundle by zig-zag jet impingement. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(16):1–7.
- Sucharitha G, Kumaraswamy A. Analysis on three dimensional flow of direct-injection diesel engine for different piston configuration using CFD. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(S6):1–7.
- Subbaiah GV, Reddy YS, Reddy KVK. Thermal design of attendant control panel for avionics through CFD. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(10):1–5.
- Bai HG, Naidu KB, Kumar GV. CFD analysis of aortic aneurysms on the basis of mathematical simulation. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(12):1–5.
- Karamarković V, Marašević M, Karamarković R, Karamarković M. Recuperator for waste heat recovery from rotary kilns. Applied Thermal Engineering. 2013; 54(2):470–80.
- Hasanuzzaman M, Rahim NA, Hosenuzzaman M, Saidur R, Mahbubul IM, Rashid MM. Energy savings in the combustion based process heating in industrial sector. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2012; 16(7):4527–36.
- Technologies and materials for recovering waste heat in harsh environments, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Report No: ORNL/TM-2014/619.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.