Total views : 185
Quantitative Analysis on Quality of Service Support using OTSC-DRX Mechanism in Long Term Evolution Device
Objectives: Fourth Generation network namely Long Term Evolution (LTE) plays a vital role in the high data rate wireless communication systems with the support of enhanced Quality of Service (QoS). However the maintenance of QoS during the transmission in LTE network highly deteriorates the endurance of User Equipment (UE) battery. Therefore, it is required to mitigate the trade-off between QoS and power savings of the battery in the LTE network which is a big challenging task. Methods: In this paper, an attempt has been made to develop a new approach namely On-Timer to Short Cycle (OTSC) ratio based Discontinuous reception (DRX) mechanism for LTE network to minimize the packet loss ratio with optimal power consumption . This approach also extends the battery power endurance during the execution of high data rate applications. Further, the performance analysis is made on packet loss ratios with an influence of delay bound violated traffic by incorporating OTSC ratio in DRX mechanism. The packet loss ratio analyses are made with various OTSC ratios for different DRX parameters. The complete analyses are done using MATLAB simulator. Findings: The simulation results portray that the packet loss ratio is reduced based on the selection of appropriate OTSC ratio, during the occurrence of delay bound violation in the traffic. The simulation results also depict that 25% of improvement in the packet loss reduction is achieved with optimal power savings compared to that of the regenerative cycle techniques. Moreover the new approach provides an insight on the proper selection of packet buffer, short cycle timer and inactivity timer values in order to improve QoS and also extend the battery endurance. Applications: This method provides an easier approach for selecting the DRX parameters to improve QoS along with better battery power endurance.
Discontinuous Reception, Guaranteed Bit Rate, Long Term Evolution, Packet Loss Ratio, Quality of Service.
- Varma SR, Krishna M, Sivalingam S, Tung L, Lin Y. Analytical Model for Power Savings in LTE Networks using DRX Mechanism. Mumbai, India: IEEE 21st National Conference on Communications, 2015 Mar. p. 16.
- 3GPP, Requirements for Evolved UTRA (E-UTRA) and Evolved UTRAN (E-UTRAN). 2013. Available from: http://www.3gpp.org
- ETSI Technical Report UMTS 30.03 VERSION 3.2.0: Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS): Selection Procedures for the Choice of Radio Transmission Technologies of the UMTS. Data accessed: 1998. Available from: www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_tr/101100.../03.../tr_101112v030200p.pdf.
- Yang SR, Lin SB. Modeling UMTS Discontinuous Reception Mechanism. IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communications. 2005 Jan; 4(1):31219.
- Yang SR, Yan S, Hung HN. Modeling UMTS Power Saving with Bursty Packet Data Traffic. IEEE Transaction on Mobile Computing. 2007; 6(12):1398409.
- Kolding TE, Wigard J, Dalsgaard L. Balancing power saving and single user experience with discontinuous reception in LTE. Siena-Tuscany, Italy: Proceeding of IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS’09); 2009 Sept. p. 71317.
- Huang J, Qian F, Gerber A, Mao ZM, Sen SO. Spatscheck. A Close Examination of Performance and Power Characteristics of 4G LTE Networks. Ambleside UK: Proceeding of ACM; 2012. p. 22538.
- Ali T, Satish KC, Rath J, Vannithamby V, Torlak M. Device Power Saving and Latency Optimization in LTE-A Networks through DRX Configuration. IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communications. 2014; 13(5):261425.
- Zhou L, Xu H, Tian H, Gao Y, Du L, Chen L. Performance Analysis of Power Saving Mechanism with Adjustable DRX Cycles in 3GPP LTE. Calgary, BC: Proceeding of IEEE 68th Vehicular Technology Conference; 2008. p. 15.
- Kim S, Jung K, Choii J, Kwak Y. Improving LTE/LTE-A UE Power Efficiency with Extended DRX Cycle. Vancouvaer, BC: Proceeding of IEEE 80th Vehicular Technology Conference; 2014. p. 15.
- Yang CC, Mai YT, Chen JY, Kuo YC. LBPS: Load Based Power Saving in the IEEE 802.16e Network. Computers and Electrical Engineering. 2012 Jul; 38(4):9195.
- Yang CC, Mai YT, Chen JY, Kuo YC. Integrated Load Based Power Saving for BS and MSS. IEEE 802.16e Network. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing. 2015 Mar; 15(4):60114.
- Yang CC, Chen JY, Mai YT, Liang CH. Design of a Load Based DRX Scheme for Non-Real-Time Traffic in LTE. Hong Kong: Proceeding of the International Multi-Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists; 2014 Sep. p. 197200.
- Lee TH, Tsai CH, Wu TH. Quality of Service Support under DRX Mechanism in LTE Advanced Wireless Networks. Dresden: Proceeding of the IEEE 77th Vehicular Technology Conference; 2013 Jun. p. 15.
- Radhakrishnan S, Neduncheliyan S, Thyagharajan KK. A review of downlink packet scheduling algorithms for real time traffic in LTE-Advanced Networks. Indian Journal of Science and technology. 2016 Jan; 9(4):14.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.