Total views : 207
Phase-only Wavelet Matched Filtering for Two- Dimensional Image Recognition and Classification
Objectives: The adaptability of the Wavelet Matched Filtering which uses wavelets along with Fourier transforms is applied for the recognition and classification of two-dimensional objects. In image processing and pattern recognition, phase information is very relevant as it contains the features of the visual scene. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The paper describes the design for the phase-only wavelet matched filtering. The performance of the phase-only wavelet matched filter is compared with that of wavelet matched filter, the classical Matched Filter and the Phase-only Matched Filter for classifying four objects in a 2D scene. The comparison is done using the MATLAB simulation tool. Findings: Two metrics - the Peak to Correlation Energy (PCE) and the Discrimination Ratio (DR), were used to study the performance of Phase-only Wavelet Matched Filtering (PWMF), Wavelet Matched Filtering (WMF), Phase-only Matched Filtering (PMF) and classical Matched Filtering (MF). It is found that the Phase-only Wavelet Matched Filtering (PWMF) gives better discrimination capability and the proof of the concept is demonstrated here. Applications: The method finds its application in pattern or object recognition and classification.
Matched Filtering, Two-Dimensional Pattern Recognition, Wavelets.
- Sifuzzaman M, Islam MR, Ali MZ. Application of Wavelet transform and its advantages compared to Fourier transform. Journal of Physical Sciences. 2009 Jan; 13:121–34.
- Ribeiro KM, Braga RA, Jr, Safadi T, Horgan G. Comparison between Fourier and Wavelets transforms in Biospeckle signals. Applied Mathematics. 2013 Nov; 4(11):11–22.
- Nelleri A, Gopinathan U, Joseph J, Singh K. Three-dimensional object recognition from digital Fresnel hologram by Wavelet Matched Filtering. Optics Communications, 2006 Mar; 259(2):499–506.
- Roberge D. Optical composite Wavelet-Matched Filters. Optical Engineering. 1994 Jul; 33(7):2290–5.
- Sheng Y, Szu H, Lu T, Roberge D. Optical Wavelet Matched Filters for shift-invariant pattern recognition. Opical Letter. 1993; 18(4):299–301.
- Roberge D, Sheng Y. Optical Wavelet Matched Filter. Applied Optics. 1994; 33 (23):5287–93.
- Li Y, Szu HH, Sheng Y, Caulfield HJ. Wavelet processing and optics. Invited Paper. Proceedings of the IEEE. 1996 May; 84(5):720–32.
- Pohit M, Singh K. Performance of a WMF with optimized dilation designed using simulated annealing algorithm. Photonics Group; 2000 Nov. p. 1–10.
- Ouzieli I, Mendlovic D. Two-dimensional wavelet processor. Applied Optics. 1996 Sep; 35(29):5839–46.
- Tan L, Ma J, Wang Q, Ran Q. Filtering theory and application of wavelet optics at the spatial-frequency domain. Applied Optics. 2001 Jan; 40(2):257–60.
- Fan HY, Lu HL. General formula for finding mother wavelets by virtue of Dirac's representation theory and the coherent state. Optical Letter. 2006 Feb; 31(3):407–9.
- Horner JL, Gianino PD. Phase-only Matched Filtering. Applied Optics. 1984 Mar; 23(6):812–6.
- Sivaraman KS, Gautam S, Sarvesh S, Khullar A, Baskar A, Vasudevan SK. Object recognition by feature weighted matrix - A novel approach. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S7):278–91.
- Javidi B. Generalization of the linear matched filter concept to nonlinear matched filters. Applied Optics. 1990 Mar; 29(8):1215–24.
- Karlholm J. Generalizations of the maximum average correlation height filter. Journal of the Optical Society of America A. 2000 Aug; 17(8):1399–406.
- Chiarello F, Sengupta D, Palmieri L, Santagiustina M. Distributed characterization of localized and stationary dynamic Brillouin gratings in polarization maintaining optical fibers. Optical Express. 2016 Mar; 24(6):5866–75.
- Vijayakumar BVK, Hassebrook L. Performance measures for correlation filters. Applied Optics. 1990 Jul; 29(20):2997–3006.
- Goodman JW. Introduction to Fourier Optics. 2nd ed. The McGraw Hill Publications; 1968.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.