Total views : 185
PSO Tuned Fractional Order PI Controller for Improvement of Transient Stability Improvement in Multi Machine Power System
The ever increasing demand for electric power can be met by enhancing loading capacity of the existing power lines. A consequence of this is to damp inter area power oscillations, In particular in multi machine power system. To damp the power oscillation s one of the effective solution is to use FACT Controllers besides controlling the steady state power flows in the lines also aids the damping of power oscillations. This paper gives The gains of Fractional order PI controller are optimized by using Particle Swarm optimization based optimization algorithm. The objective function in optimization problem is the power flow in the line where TCSC is placed. The effectiveness of the proposed controller in damping power oscillation improvement in dynamic performance of the power system is demonstrated by compare with the conventional PI controller. MATLAB/Simulink is used to simulate the Power System and TCSC Controllers.
FOPI Controller, Multi Machine System, PSO, Power Oscillations, TCSC, Transient Stability.
- Hsu YY, Hsu CY. Design of a proportional-integral power system stabilizer. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1986; 1(2):46–53.
- Hsu YY, Liou KL. Design of self-tuning PID power system stabilizers for synchronous generators. IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion. 1987; 2(3):343–8.
- Samarasinghe V, Pahalawaththa N. Damping of multimodal oscillations in power systems using variable structure control techniques. IEE Proceedings - Generation, Transmission and Distribution. 1997 Jan; 144(3):323–31.
- Abido MA, Abdel-Magid YL. A hybrid neuro-fuzzy power system stabilizer for multi machine power systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1998 Nov; 13(4):1323–230.
- Hingorani NG. FACTS - Flexible Ac Transmission System. Proceedings 5thInternational Conference on AC and DC Power Transmission. 1991; 345:1–7.
- IEEE Power Engineering Society, FACTS Overview. IEEE Special Publication 95TP108; 1995.
- Abido MA, Abdel-Magid YL. Analysis and design of power system stabilizers and facts based stabilizers using genetic algorithms. Proceedings Power System Computation Conference PSCC-2002, Spain; 2002 Jun. p. 24–8.
- Wang HF, Swift FJ. A unified model for the analysis of in damping power system oscillations Part I: Single-machine infinite-bus power systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. 1997; 12(2):941–6.
- Bamasak SM. FACTS-based stabilizers for power system stability enhancement. (Master's Thesis) Electrical Engineering. King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia; 2005.
- Bamasak SM, Abido MA. Assessment study of shunt facts based controllers effectiveness on power system stability enhancement. Proceedings 39th EEE/International Universities Power Engineering Conference, UPEC2004. 2004; 1:274–8.
- Abido MA, Bamasak SM. Oscillation damping enhancement via coordinated design of PSS and FACTS-based stabilizers in a multi machine power system using PSO. International Journal of Swarm Intelligence Research. 2010; 1(3):1–18.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.