Total views : 291
Key Factors of Blood Glucose Control for Korean People with Diabetes
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to determine the differences between good and poor glucose control groups, and as a result, to identify the factors affecting glycemic control. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This was a descriptive survey study wherein the subjects were adults with diabetes. Based on blood test results from 267 subjects, the participants were divided into two groups: good and poor glucose control. To measure the factors affecting glucose control, the demographics, clinical factors, and health-related behaviors were surveyed using a questionnaire. Real number, percentage, mean, standard deviation, Pearson's correlation, and hierarchical logistic regression were used to obtain glucose control characteristics. Findings: The American Diabetes Association has recommended that Hemoglobin A1c levels be below 7.5% in healthy adults with a long life expectancy. We used this recommended level as the criterion for our study. In the logistic regression analysis, when all variables were controlled for, the following factors were identified as significantly affecting glucose control: depression, experience of having hypoglycemia, and diabetic diet. The odds ratios were 3.58, 2.28 and 2.11, respectively. This study found that diabetic education, smoking, and alcohol consumption did not significantly affect glucose control. Improvement/Applications: Physicians and nurses should promote effective glucose control in patients with diabetes through individualized intervention methods; in this way, the patients' glucose control is maintained at an adequate level.
Diabetes, Factor, Glucose Control, Hba1c, Hierarchical Logistic Regression.
- Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2015 Abridged for Primary Care Providers. 2015. Available from: http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/suppl/2015/04/14/33.2.97.DC1
- Otunctemur A, Ozbek E, Sahin S, Dursun M, Huseyin B. Diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for high grade renal cell carcinoma. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2014; 15(9):3993-6.
- Diabetes Public Health Resource. 2015. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/prev/national/figadults.htm
- Available from: https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do
- Mortality trends by cause of death. Available from: https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do, http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=1012#quick_05
- Yu J, Park S. Cost of diabetes related chronic complication in South Korea 2011. Value in Health. 2014 Nov; 17(7):A340.
- The diabetes control and complications trial and follow-up study. Available from: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/about-niddk/research-areas/diabetes/dcct-edic-diabetes-control-complications-trial-follow-up-study/Documents/DCCT-EDIC_508.pdf
- Heisler M, Smith DM, Hayward RA, Krein SL, Kerr EA. How well do patients’ assessments of their diabetes self-management correlate with actual glycemic control and receipt of recommended diabetes services? Diabetes Care. 2003 Mar; 26(3):738-43.
- Norris SL, Engelgau MM, Narayan KV. Effectiveness of self-management training in type 2 diabetes a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Diabetes Care. 2001 Mar; 24(3):561-87.
- Boehm JK, Trudel-Fitzgerald C, Kivimaki M, Kubzansky LD. The prospective association between positive psychological well-being and diabetes. Health Psychology. 2015 Oct; 34(10):1013-21.
- Diabetes self-management education and support in type 2 diabetes a joint position statement of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2015. Available from: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/diacare/early/2015/06/02/dc15-0730.full.pdf
- Peer Reviewed: Factors Predicting Glycemic Control in Middle-Aged and Older Adults With Type 2 Diabetes. 2009. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811503/
- Agardh EE, Ahlbom A, Andersson T, Efendic S, Grill V, Hallqvist J. Work stress and low sense of coherence is associated with type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Swedish women. Diabetes Care. 2003 Mar; 26(3):719-24.
- Knutson KL, Ryden AM, Mander BA, Van Cauter E. Role of sleep duration and quality in the risk and severity of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2006 Sep; 166(16):1768-74.
- Kim HS. The effects of elderly diabetic patients’ self-care agency on their self-care behavior. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20):1-10.
- Khattab M, Khader YS, Al-Khawaldeh A, Ajlouni K. Factors associated with poor glycemic control among patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Diabetes and Its Complications. 2010 Mar-Apr; 24(2):84-9.
- Nascimento ER, Nardi AE, Cardoso A. The role of depression on glycemic control. Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014; 4(5-6):119-20.
- Engler B, Koehler C, Hoffmann C, Landgraf W, Bilz S, Schoner C. Relationship between HbA1c on target, risk of silent hypoglycemia and glycemic variability in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Experimental and Clinical Eendocrinology and Diabetes. 2011 Jan; 119(1):59-61.
- Russell WR, Baka A, Bjorck I, Delzenne N, Gao D, Griffiths HR. Impact of diet composition on blood glucose regulation. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2016; 56(4):541-90.
- Effectiveness of a diabetes education and self management programme (DESMOND) for people with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus: three year follow-up of a cluster randomised controlled trial in primary care. 2012. Available from: http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e2333
- Sargeant LA, Khaw KT, Bingham S, Day NE, Luben RN, Oakes S. Cigarette smoking and glycaemia: The EPIC-Norfolk study. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2001 Jun; 30(3):547-54.
- Munukutla S, Pan G, Deshpande M, Thandavarayan RA, Krishnamurthy P, Palaniyandi SS. Alcohol toxicity in diabetes and its complications: A double trouble? Alcoholism-Clinical and Experimental Research. 2016 Apr; 40(4):686-97.
- Kwon YS. Metabolic syndrome components and living habits according to fasting blood sugar measured by glucometer in workers. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S8):37-45.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.