Total views : 222
Reflections of Culture: An Analysis of Korean Advertising Appeals from 1980’s to 2010’s
Objectives: The objective of this paper was to investigate the modernization of cultural values in Korean culture during its transition into a more westernized society in the past 30 years. Methods/Statistical analysis: A longitudinal content analysis of 320 ads analyzed how cultural values in Korean magazine advertising messages have changed as Korea has developed from a traditional to an industrial country. Findings: During this period, the study shows, modern advertising claims (individualistic advertising message claims, materialistic advertising message claims, future orientation claims) became increasingly used, whereas traditional advertising appeals (collectivistic advertising message claims, humanistic advertising message claims, past orientation claims) became decreasingly appeared in Korean magazine advertisements. This study suggests that the usage of Korean advertising message mirrors the cultural dynamics and economical changes of Korea. Improvements/Applications: Findings of the research showed that convergence toward modern-western cultural values is a meaningful subject to investigate in the study of persuasive communications and culture.
Advertising strategy, Advertising appeals, Content analysis, Persuasion and culture, Persuasive communication.
- Cui G, Yang X, Wang H, Liu H. Culturally incongruent messages in international advertising. International Journal of Advertising. 2012; 31(2):355–76.
- Teng L, Ye N, Yu Y, Wu X. Effects of culturally verbal and visual congruency/incongruency across cultures in a competitive advertising context. Journal of Business Research. 2014 Mar; 67(3):288–94.
- Okazaki S, Mueller B, Diehl S. A multi-country examination of hard-sell and soft-sell advertising: Comparing global consumer positioning in holistic and analytic thinking cultures. Journal of Advertising Research. 2014 Jan; 53(3):1–13.
- Han S, Shavitt S. Persuasion and culture: Advertising appeals in individualistic and collectivistic societies. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 1994 Jul; 30(4):326–50.
- Zhang Y, Gelb B. Matching advertising appeals to the culture: The influence of products’ uses conditions. Journal of Advertising. 1996; 25(3):29–46.
- Cheong Y, Kim K, Zheng L. Advertising appeals as a reflection of culture: A cross-cultural analysis of food advertising appeals in China and US. Asian Journal of Communication. 2010 Mar; 20(1):1–16.
- De Mooij M. On the misuse and misinterpretation of dimensions of national culture. International Marketing Review. 2013; 30(3):253–61.
- Belk R, Pollay R. Images of ourselves: The good life in twentieth century advertising. Journal of Consumer Research. 1985 Mar; 11(4):887–97.
- Czarmecka B, Dahl S, Eagle L. Is food advertising culture-bound: Contradictory results from three European countries. Journal of Customer Behavior. 2013; 12(2-3):227–46.
- Jiang J, Wei R. Influences of culture and market convergence on the international advertising strategies of multinational corporations in North America. Europe and Asia, International Marketing Review. 2012; 29(6):597–622.
- Hofstede G. Culture’s consequences: Comparing values, behaviors, institutions and organizations across nations. 2nd ed. Sage Publications; 2003 Feb.
- Richins M. Possessions, materialism, and other-directedness in the expression of self, in Consumer value. Routledge; 1999. p. 85–104.
- House R. Culture, leadership, and organizations, The GLOBE Study of 62 Societies. 3rd ed. Sage Publications Inc; 2004 Apr.
- Brislin R. Translation and content analysis of oral and written materials. In Handbook of Cross-cultural Psychology. Allyn and Bacon, Inc. 1980. p. 389–444.
- McClelland D. The achieving society. Princeton: D. Van Nostrand Co 1961. The Journal of Economic History. 2011 Mar; 23(1):118–21.
- Madden C. Analysis of information content in U.S. and Japanese magazine advertising, Journal of Advertising. 1986 May; 15(3):38-45.
- Kim M, Han S. Which company is the best for green advertising. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(57):414–22.
- Kim Y, Han S. The integration effects of product types, mobile advertising appeal types, and temporal distance. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S7):576–80.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.