Total views : 496
Effectiveness of Non-Pharmacological Intervention for Insomnia: A Systematic Review and Meta- Analysis
Objectives: As chronic sleep deprivation can have devastating effects, sleep disturbances in older adult warrants investigation. This study aims to evaluate the effectiveness of non-pharmacological interventions for insomnia. Methods/ Statistical Analysis: A systematic literature review was used to examine the effectiveness of non-pharmacological therapies on sleep disturbance. We conducted a literature search of Korean and international electronic databases. We reviewed selected 343 publications, 37 studies were analyzed in the meta-analysis. Comprehensive Meta-Analysis software was used to analyze the effect size. Findings: The meta-analysis based on the random effect model showed that the applied interventions improved sleep in older adults (Z = 5.63; 95% CI: 0.55-1.15). Subgroup analysis revealed that exercise was the most effective (95% CI: 0.35-0.88, Z = 4.55), followed by music therapy (95% CI: 0.30-1.16, Z = 3.36). On the contrary, behavior, laughter, massage, and supplementary therapy were not effective. Improvements/Applications: These findings provide comprehensive evidence regarding the efficacy and use of non-pharmacological sleep interventions. Thus, these interventions are available to improve quality of sleep in older adults.
Insomnia, Meta-Analysis, Non-Pharmacologic, Older Adults, Sleep.
- Yaffe K, Falvey CM, Hoang T. Connections between sleep and cognition in older adults. Lancet Neurology. 2014 Oct; 13(10):1017–28.
- Crowley K. Sleep and sleep disorders in older adults. Neuropsychological Review. 2011 Mar; 21(1):41–53.
- Lemola S, Richter D. The course of subjective sleep quality in middle and old adulthood and its relation to physical health. The Journal of Gerontology Series B. Psychological Science and Social Science. 2013 Sep; 68(5):721–9.
- Wennberg AM, Canham SL, Smith MT, Spira AP. Optimizing sleep in older adults: Treating Insomnia. Maturitas. 2013 Nov; 76(3):247–52.
- Williams JM, Kay DB, Rowe M, McCrae CS. Sleep discrepancy, sleep complaint, and poor sleep among older adults. The Journal of Gerontology Series B. Psychological Science and Social Science. 2013 Sep; 68(5):712–20.
- Hall-Porter JM, Curry DT, Walsh JK. Pharmacologic treatment of primary insomnia. Sleep Medicine Clinics. 2010 Dec; 5(4):609–25.
- Rojas-Fermandez CH, Chen Y. Use of ultra-low-dose (≤6mg) doxepin for treatment of insomnia in older people. Canadian Pharmacists Journal. 2014 Sep, 147(5); 281–9.
- Dam TT, Ewing S, Ancoli-Israel S, Insrud K, Redline S, Stone K. Association between sleep and physical function in older men: The osteoporotic fractures in men sleep study. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. 2008 Sep; 56(9):1665–73.
- Morphy H, Dunn KM, Lewis M, Boardman HF, Croft PR. Epidemiology of insomnia: A longitudinal study in a UK population. Sleep. 2007 Mar; 30(3):274–80.
- Gehrman PR, Connor DJ, Martin JL, Shochat T, Corey-Bloom J, Ancoli-Israel S. Melatonin fails to improve sleep or agitation in a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial of institutionalized patients with Alzheimer’s disease. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2009 Feb; 17(2):166–9.
- Lovato N, Lack L, Wright H, Kennaway DJ. Evaluation of a brief CBT-I program in older adults. Sleep. 2014 Jan; 37(1):117–26.
- Sun JL, Sung MS, Huang MY, Cheng GC, Lin CC. Effectiveness of acupressure for residents of long-term care facilities with insomnia: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2010 Jul; 47(7):798–805.
- Morin CM, Culbert JP, Schwartz SM. Nonpharmacological interventions for insomnia: A meta-analysis of treatment efficacy. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1994 Aug; 151(8):1172–80.
- Murtagh DR, Greenwood KM. Identifying effective psychological treatments for insomnia: A meta-analysis. Journal of Consulting Clinical Psychology. 1995 Feb; 63(1):79–89.
- Evidence-Based Practice Resources. Available from: http://hsl.mcmaster.libguides.com/occupational_therapy/ot/EBP
- Higgins JP, Thompson SG, Deeks JJ, Altman DG. Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. British Medical Journal. 2003 Sep; 327(7414):557–60.
- Egger M, Smith GD, Schneider M, Minder C. Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. British Medical Journal. 1997 Sep; 315(7109):629–34.
- Baek Y, Yoo J, Lee S, Jin H. Domestic trends of research and patient for sleep disorder. The Journal of Korean Contents Association. 2013; 13(6):309–17.
- Han K, Im N, Song K, Hong Y, Kim J, Kim K. The analysis of trends in Complementary and Alternative Therapy (CAT) in nursing research in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing. 2003; 10(3):392–8.
- Jun M, Uhm D, Jeong S. The analysis of the Korean nursing research trends on complementary and alternative therapies for cancer patients. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. 2009 Feb; 9(1):67–75.
- Lee J, Han M, Chung Y, Kim J, Choi J. Effects of foot reflexology on fatigue, sleep and pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2011 Dec; 41(6):821–33.
- So E, Lee I. Meta-analysis of hypertension-related nursing intervention programs. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2010 Jan; 16(1):11–8.
- Sarris J, Byrne GJ. A systematic review of insomnia and complementary medicine. Sleep Medicine Review. 2011 Apr; 15(2):99–106.
- Kim S, Kim S, Kim M, Kim M, Nam S. The effect of Tai Chi exercise on the cognitive function in older adults: an examination of P300. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; 8(S7):452–61.
- Shin E, Kim H. Factors influencing health-related quality of life among male workers in Korea. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S1):236–46.
- Wang C, Sun Y, Zang H. Music therapy improves sleep quality in acute and chronic sleep disorders: A meta-analysis of 10 randomized studies. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2014 Jan; 51(1):51–62.
- Effects of aroma hand massage on the stress response and sleep of elderly inpatients. Available from:https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264020529_Effects_of_Aroma_Hand_Massage_on_the_Stress_Response_and_Sleep_of_Elderly_Inpatients
- Seo HS, Sohng K. The effect of footbaths on sleep and fatigue in older Korean adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing. 2011; 18(4):488–96.
- Lee SY. Effects of aromatherapy hand massage on anxiety, depression, sleep disturbance and fatigue of institutionalized elderly. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2011; 13(1):29–36.
- Won SJ, Chae YR. The effects of aromatherapy massage on pain, sleep, and stride length in elderly with Knee Osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2011; 13(1):142–8.
- Lee J, Hong H. Effects of aromatherapy and foot reflex massage on stress, depression, and sleep pattern of the institutionalized elderly. The Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2005; 7(2):17–30.
- Choi I. Effects of aromatherapy massage on pain, physical function, sleep disturbance and depression in elderly women with osteoarthritis. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2006; 12(2):168–76.
- Seo SY, Chang SY. Effects of aroma hand massage on sleep, depression and quality of life in the institutionalized women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2009 Dec; 15(4):372–80.
- Hong SH, Kim SY. Effects of sleep promoting program on sleep and immune response in elderly. Korean Journal Academy of Adults Nursing. 2009 Apr; 21(2):167–78.
- Song M, Kim N. Effect of hand massage on fatigue, sleep satisfaction and blood pressure of the aged in a long-term care facility. Korean Journal of Adults Nursing. 2009; 21(2):179–86.
- Han S, Lee Y. The effects of foot reflexologic massage on blood pressure and sleep of elderly with essential hypertensive patients in a rural area. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2005; 17(3):349–57.
- Jin SJ, Kim Y. The effects of foot reflexology massage on sleep and fatigue of elderly women. Korean Journal of Adults Nursing. 2005 Aug; 17(3):493–502.
- Yang HJ, Kang H, Kim I. The effects of aroma foot reflex massage on sleep, depression and problem behaviors on elderly with dementia. Korean Journal of Adults Nursing. 2011; 23(6):574–83.
- Kim CS, Hong SH, Kim SR, Kim YJ. The effects of foot reflexology on sleep, depression and skin temperature of female elderly at home. Korean Journal of Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2011 Dec; 22(4):409–19.
- Kim SM. The effects of aromatherapy and hand massage on anxiety, sleep, and depression in the female aged art residential facilities. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2009 Dec; 20(4):493–502.
- Park E. Effects of visiting laugher therapy on depression and insomnia among the vulnerable elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2013 Jun; 24(2):205–13.
- Lee JO, Kwon YS. Effects of auriculotherapy on sleep disorders in the elderly. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2009; 15(1):1–8.
- Sok SR, Kim K. Applied effect of auricular acupressure therapy on insomnia for Korean elderly. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2008; 12(1):62–7.
- Lee KI, Eun Y. Effects of laugher therapy on pain, depression and sleep with elderly patients in long term care facility. Journal of Muscle Joint Health. 2011; 18(1):28–38.
- Park YJ, Park IH. Effect of Tai Chi exercise on loneliness, sleep pattern, and instrumental activities of daily living in elderly women. Journal of Muscle Joint Health. 2010; 17(2):151–61.
- Ko HJ, Youn CH. The effect of laugher therapy on sleep in the community-dwelling elderly. Geriatrics and Gerontology International. 2011 Jul; 11(3):267–74.
- Hariprasad VR, Sivakumar PT, Koparde V, Varambally S, Thirthalli J, Varghese M, Basavaraddi IV, Gangadhar BN. Effects of yoga intervention on sleep and quality-of-life in elderly: A randomized controlled trial. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2013 Jul; 55(S3):364–8.
- Nguyen MH, Kruse AK. A randomized controlled trial of Tai chi for balance, sleep quality and cognitive performance in elderly Vietnamese. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2012 Jun; 7:185–90.
- McCurry SM, LaFazia DM, Pike KC, Logsdon RG, Teri L. Development and evaluation of a sleep education program for older adults with dementia living in adult family homes. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2012 Jun; 20(6):494–504.
- Hosseini H, Esfirizi MF, Marandi SM, Rezaei A. The effect of Tai Chi exercise on the sleep quality of the elderly residents in Isfahan, Sadeghieh elderly home. Iranian Journal of Nursing Midwifery Research. 2011; 16(1):55–60.
- Chen MC, Liu HE, Huang HY, Chiou AF. The effect of a simple traditional exercise programme (Baduanjin exercise) on sleep quality of older adults: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2012 Mar; 49(3):265–73.
- Buysse DJ, Germain A, Moul DE, Franzen PL, Brar LK, Fletcher ME, Begley A, Jouck PR, Mazumdar S, Reynolds CF, Monk TH. Efficacy of brief behavioral treatment for chronic insomnia in older adults. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2011 May; 171(10):887–95.
- Ko HJ, Youn CH. Effects of laughter therapy on depression, cognition and sleep among the community-dwelling elderly. Geriatric and Gerontology International. 2011 Jul; 11(3):267–74.
- Chan MF, Chan EA, Mok E. Effects of music on depression and sleep quality in elderly people: A randomized controlled trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2010 Jun-Aug; 18(3-4):150–9.
- Chen KM, Chen MH, Lin MH, Fan JT, Lin HS, Li CH. Effects of yoga on sleep quality and depression in elders in assisted living facilities. Journal of Nursing Research. 2010 Mar; 18(1):53–61.
- Sun JL, Sung M S, Huang MY, Cheng GC, Lin CC. Effectiveness of acupressure for residents of long-term care facilities with insomnia: A randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2010 Jul; 47(7):798–805.
- Gehrman PR, Connor DJ, Martin JL, Shochat T, Corey-Bloom J, Ancoli-Israel S. Melatonin fails to improve sleep or agitation in a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial of institutionalized patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Ameriacn Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2009 Feb; 17(2):166–9.
- Germain A, Moul DE, Franzen PL, Miewald JM, Reynolds CF, Monk TH, Buysse DJ. Effects of a brief behavioral treatment for late-life insomnia: Preliminary findings. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine. 2006 Oct; 2(4):403–6.
- Alessi CA, Martin JL, Webber AP, Kim EC, Harker JO, Josephson KR. Randomized controlled trial of a non-pharmacologial intervention to improve abnormal sleep/wake patterns in nursing home residents. Journal of American Geriatric Society. 2005 May; 53(5):803–10.
- Lai HL, Good M. Music improves sleep quality in older adults. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005 Feb; 49(3):234–44.
- Li F, Fisher KJ, Harmer P, Irbe D, Tearse RG, Weimer C. Tai chi and self-rated quality of sleep and daytime sleepiness in older adults: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2004 Jun; 52(6):892–900.
- Abbasi B, Kimiagar M, Sadeghniiat K, Shirazi MM, Hedayati M, Rashidkhani B. The effect of magnesium supplementation on primary insomnia in elderly: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2012 Dec; 17(12):1161–9.
- Rondanelli M, Opizzi A, Monteferrario F, Antoniello N, Manni R, Klersy C. The effect of melatonin, magnesium, and zinc on primary insomnia in long-term car facility residents in Italy: A double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2011 Jan; 59(1):82–90.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.