Total views : 228
Video-aided and Traditional Learning Method: A Comparison Regarding Students’ Knowledge Retention
Objectives: This study was conducted to determine effects of surgical operation videos on self-directed learning ability and develop self-learning of public health students. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This study was conducted using subjects who enrolled in a basic medicine course as sophomore students at G College from April to June, 2016. The research was designed to use nonequivalent control group in pre-and post-test. Criteria for data collection were self-directed learning ability, learning motivation, professional self-concept, and satisfactory level. Collected data was analyzed using SPSS Program 18.0. Statistical significance was evaluated with frequency, percentage, x2-test and t-test. Findings: The basic curriculum has been regarded so difficult to public health students that they just put them aside for memorization later. Self-directed learning was significantly higher in a test group than control group (t=5.174, p>.001). But professional selfconcept had no significant difference between two groups (t=-.603. p= .548). Learning motive had no significant difference between two groups (t=1.551. p=.125). Satisfaction level showed a higher average score of 4.41. In particular, for those prejudiced students against the basic curriculum, considered to be strict and difficult to follow, videos could help to draw attention and concentration on their class. Meanwhile, in our study, several approaches were attempted to encourage learners to develop self-learning with opening videos after face-to-face education but no significance was made. Because professional self-concept means realization of self-tasks as professionals, self-esteem would be higher when students are confident. Our study suggests that face-to-face class using videos improved self-directed learning and helped students to study their subjects. But disadvantages of our program were inaccuracy of study materials and not quite well fitted levels. Improvements/Applications: Clinical practice-related videos could intrigue students` interests and help studying basic major subjects, such as anatomy and physiology. But, knowledge and practical experiences in anatomy and pathology are required for students to be properly taught with video-assisted education.
Knowledge Retention, Learning Motive, Professional Self-concept, Satisfaction Level, Self-directed Learning Ability.
- Lee YS, Chung CH, Lee MJ. Development of teacher training model for improving robot-leaming teaching abilities in early childhood education. Journal of Korean Society of Children’s Literature and Education. 2016 Mar; 17(1):307–26.
- Kim SG, Kim JH, Heo NJ, Lee JS. Study level influence system using education video watching behaviors. Journal of Information Technology and Architecture. 2013 Sep; 10(3):371–8.
- Durairaj M, Manimaran A. A study on security issues in cloud based e-learning. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Apr; l8(8):757–65.
- Kim SY, Choi SS, Kim YH, Kwag WH, Kim MS, Hyun MS. The development and application of e-learning orientation program for new nurses. Clinical Nursing Research. 2004 Aug; 10(1):97–110.
- Thomson M. Multimedia anatomy and physiology lectures for nursing students. Journal of Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 1998; 16(2):101–8.
- Kim MH, Chae MJ. A study of student nurses, observation experiences of human body dissection. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2012 Aug; 14(2):94–102.
- Sim JH. The application and effects of creative training techniques to an anatomy subject for biological Nursing science education. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2009 Mar; 11(1):51–8.
- Jeong SH. The application and effects of creative training techniques to an anatomy. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2009 May; 11(2):183–94.
- Yoo HH, Song CH, Kim HT. The effect of education in anatomy using cadavers to the paramedic students. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2013 Feb; 13(2):341–7.
- Yoo KY. Demographic and socio-psychological variables to adults' self-direction in learning. Korean Journal of Adult and Continuing Education. 1998 Aug; 4(1):119–49.
- Guglielmino LM, Guglielmino PJ [Internet]. [cited 2016 Aug 04]. Available from: http://www.lpasdlrs.com/.
- Jang HJ. The development and effectiveness of course wear for injection. Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Ewha Woman's University, Seoul; 1996.
- Keller JM [Internet]. [cited 2016 Aug 04]. Available from: http://www.arcsmodel.com.
- Arthur D. Measurement of the professional self-concept of nurses: Developing a measurement instrument. The Journal of Nurse Education Today. 1995 Oct; 15(5):328–35.
- Song KY, Noh CH. An analytical study of the professional self-concept of hospital nurses in Korea. The Journal of Korean Society of Nursing Science. 1996 Mar; 26(1):94–106.
- Sung YH, Kwon IG, Hwang JW, Kim JY. Development of an e-learning program about medication for nurses. The Journal of Korean Society of Nursing Science. 2005 Oct; 35(6):1113–24.
- Kim YH. Effects of utilizing animation prior to fundamental nursing practice on learning motivation and self-directedness in student nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals Nursing. 2010 May; 17(2):240–8.
- Jone TLL. Self directed learning: Implications and limitations for undergraduate nursing education. Journal of Nurse Education Today. 2005 Oct; 25(5):363–8.
- Oshea E. Self directed learning in nurse education: A review of the literature. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2003 Mar; 43(1):62–70.
- Yoo MR, Choi YJ, Kang MS. The effects of PBL on the self-directed learning critical thinking disposition and problem solving process of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals Nursing. 2009 Feb; 16(1):46–55.
- Tabar SAG, Nilli M, Zavaraki EZ, Mozayani N. Identification of motivational strategies in web-based teaching with an emphasis on the role of teacher and a model. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Feb; 16(1):46–55.
- Ji SI. The effect of group composition way on the changes in self-directed learning ability and learning motivation in web-based cooperative learning. Unpublished Master’s Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Yoo MS, Park JH, Lee SR. The effects of case-based learning using video on clinical decision making and learning motivation in undergraduate nursing students. The Journal of Korean Society of Nursing Science. 2010 Dec; 40(6):863–71.
- Soung SH. Basic research for the design of synchronous web-based lessons. Journal of Korean Society for Educational Technology. 2004 Mar; 20(1):3–36.
- Kwon YH, Kwag OG. Effects of a ready planned small group collaboration learning program through MBTI on nursing professional self - concept and career maturity of nursing college students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2010 Dec; 16(2):229–38.
- Ko YJ, Kim IK. The relationship between professional nursing values and career preparation behaviors of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2011 Apr; 17(1):62–71.
- Jho MY. Effects of core fundamental nursing skills education on self-efficacy, clinical competence and practice satisfaction in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals Nursing. 2014 Aug; 21(3):292–301
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.