Total views : 358
Study on the Effects of Interpersonal- Communication Competence and Family Communication Patterns on Academic Resilience
Objectives: This study was carried out to evaluate the impact of interpersonal communication competence and family communication patterns on the level of academic resilience. Methods/Statistical analysis: The data for a total of 259 nursing students were analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-tests, an ANOVA, Pearson’s correlations and hierarchical regression using the IBM SPSS 22.0 program. Findings: Interpersonal communication competence was significantly correlated with conversation-oriented family communication patterns and academic resilience (p <.001). The factors instep 1 of the regression analysis indicated several factors with significant impact on academic resilience: whether participants resided with family, interpersonal relationships, personality, and academic achievement. In step 2, academic achievement, interpersonal-communication competence, and conversation-oriented family communication patterns were identified as factors. Improvements/Applications: Remediation should reflect the different types of communication skills needed to promote academic resilience.
Academic Resilience, Effect, Family Communication Pattern, Interpersonal-Communication Competence, Nursing Student.
- Bae YJ, Park SY. Study on predictors of academic resilience in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2014; 15(3):1615–22.
- Kim NR. A study on the development and validity of the scale of academic resilience. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung Women’s University, Seoul: Korea; 2009.
- Park JY. A study on the academic resilience and the university life adaptation of non-traditional student. Journal of Lifelong Education. 2010; 16(3):1–30.
- Moon WH, Kwon MJ, Chung KS. Influence of academic resilience, self-efficacy and depression on college life adjustment in Korea's nursing college students. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1–4.
- Seo KW, Kwon MJ. Factor’s affecting academic resilience of nursing students. Asia-pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology. 2016 Jun; 6(6):229–40.
- Kim M. The effect of Chinese students’ family abuse experience and negative emotion on their drinking problem - with a Focus on the moderating effect of resilience. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20):1–4.
- Song MS, An HJ, Chung Y. Self-esteem, interpersonal relation and communication in nursing students. Korea Journal of Health Communication. 2015; 10(1):27–35.
- Han J, Hur GH. The relationships of family communication patterns and off springs’ self-esteem, self-disclosure, locus of control, and communication competence. Korean Journal of Journalism and Communication Studies. 2005 Oct; 49(5):202–27.
- McLeod JM, Chaffee SH. The construction of social reality, In Tedeschi J, editor, The social influence processes, Chicago: Aldine-Atherton. p. 50–9
- Shin JY. The effect of creative dance programs on interpersonal communication competence in university students. Kookmin University, Seoul, Unpublished Thesis; 2008.
- Rubin RB. Interpersonal communication competence: Scale development and test of a self-efficacy model. 77th Annual Meeting of the Speech Communication Association; 1991. p. 1–24.
- Ritchie LD, Fitzpatrick MA. Family communication patterns measuring intrapersonal perceptions of interpersonal relationships. Communication Research. 1990; 17(4):523–44.
- Ban SW. The influence of family communication pattern on spouse selection-mediated by communication satisfaction and self-differentiation. Hanyang University, Seoul: Korea, Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation; 2008.
- Jang HS. Relationships among communication competence, relational outcomes and attraction in situations of interpersonal conflict. Journal of Communication Science. 2003; 3(2):302–44.
- Han SY, Ma EJ, Hong DS, Kim EY, Park JH, Lee IS. The Effect of using SNS to interpersonal relation and quality of life: focused on the moderating role of communication capability. Journal of Information Systems. 2013; 22(1):29–64.
- Lee MJ. Communication pattern and problem-solving ability of the internet game addicts in college students. Journal of the Korea Contents Society. 2009; 9(11):109–19.
- Park JK, Hahn SW. The relationship between communication and nursing performance in simulation-based team learning. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Oct; 8(26):1–7.
- Oh HK. Development of the academic resilience program for youth. Korea Journal of Counseling. 2014; 15(6):2535–55.
- Park HJ, Lee JS. Longitudinal mediation analysis using latent growth curve modeling and autoregressive cross-lagged modeling: mediation effects of self-esteem in the influence of parent-child relationship to depression. Journal of Educational Evaluation. 2013; 26(1):83–106.
- Park BH, Kim NR. Development and validation of academic resilience scale for child. The Journal of Child Education. 2010; 19(4):19–32.
- Kim SS, Park MW. The mediating effect of ego-resilience on the relation between parent-child communication and academic burnout. The Korean Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology. 2015; 4(2):73–89.
- Lee SA. Influence the type of parent attachment and communication of college students on college life. The Study of Child-Family Therapy. 2013; 12:57–71.
- Jang WS. Resilience as a factor blocking the psychopathology. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology. 2001; 14(1):113–27.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.