Total views : 334
Effects of Die-Sinking Electro-Discharge Machining Parameters on Surface Roughness in Inconel 825 Alloy
Objective: The objective of this paper is to find the optimal machining parameters of Die-Sinking Electro-Discharge Machining on Inconel 825 alloy with nickel coated copper electrode for improving the process response. Methods: The effects of different parameters were studied on the machining responses. The machining parameters considered for this work were applied current, pulse on time and pulse off time and their effect on surface roughness response was studied. Findings: Taguchi optimization technique was employed to find the effect of machining parameters on Electro-Discharge Machining process responses. Besides, analysis of variance statistical method has been employed to predict the importance of individual machining parameters in the responses. The result of this research reveals that the proper selection of the input variables plays an important role in die-sinking EDM process. Applications: Ni base alloys are widely used in aviation, ship building and defense industries because of their better properties such as good impact strength, high ultimate tensile strength, high yield strength, high resistance to corrosion, retaining the strength even at high temperatures and fatigue resistance.
Analysis of Variance, Die-Sinking EDM, Surface Roughness, Taguchi.
- Pandey PC, Shan HS. Modern machining processes. New Delhi: McGraw Hill; 2015.
- Lin JL, Wang KS, Yah BH, Tarng YS. Optimization of the Electro-Discharge Machining process based on the Taguchi method with Fuzzy logics. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2000; 102:48–55.
- Her MG, Weng FT. A study of the Electrical Discharge Machining of semi-conductor BaTiO3. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2002; 122:1–5.
- Puertas I, Luis CJ and Alvarez L. Analysis of the influence of EDM parameters on surface quality, MRR and EW of WC-Co. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2004; 153-154:1026–32.
- Luis CJ, Puertas I, Villa G. Materials removal rate and electrode wear study in the EDM of silicon carbide. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2005; 164:889–96.
- Ozgedik A, Cogun C. An experimental investigation of tool wear in Electro-Discharge Machining. International Journal of Advance Manufacturing Technology. 2006; 27:488–500.
- Keskin Y, Selcuk Halkaci H,, Kizil M. An experimental study for the determination of the effects of machining parameters on surface roughness in Electro-Discharge Machining (EDM). International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2006; 28:1118–21.
- Payal HS, Choudhary R Singh S. Analysis of Electro-Discharged Machined surface of EN-31 tool steel. Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 2008; 67:1072–7.
- Johan MP, Wong YS, Rahman M. A study on the fine finish die-sinking micro-EDM of tungsten carbide using different electrode materials. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2009; 209:3956–67.
- Manivannan R, Vinoth Kumar S, Pradeep Kumar M. Multi response optimization of process parameters in Electro-Discharge Machining in AISI D2 die steel using grey relational analysis. Journal of Manufacturing Engineering. 2013; 8(1):022–7.
- Thomas S, Ramesh S, Jeykrishnan J. Parametric optimization of powder mixed Electro Discharge Machining using Taguchi technique. International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology. 2016 June; 7(3):61–6.
- Bhagat TC, Payal HS, Sethi BL. Optimizations of EDM process parameters for surface roughness machining die steel using copper tungsten electrode by adopting Taguchi array design. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Oct; 5(10):3428–32.
- Jeykrishnan J, Vijaya Ramnath B, Akilesh S, Pradeep Kumar RP. Optimization of process parameters on EN24 tool steel using Taguchi technique in Electro-Discharge Machining (EDM). IOP Conf series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2016; 49. DOI: 10.1088/1757-899X/149/1/012022.
- Ross PJ. Taguchi techniques for quality engineering. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1988.
- Mirhedayatian SM, Azadi M. Minitab user manual release14. PA, USA: Minitab Inc, State College; 2003.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.