Total views : 200
Modeling of EDM Process Parameters in Machining of 17-4 PH Steel using Artificial Neural Network
Objectives: The present work on the development of artificial neural network modeling and prediction of the machining quality for Electrical Discharge Machining of martensitic Precipitation Hardening (PH) Stainless steel and copper tungsten as tool electrode. Methods/Statistical analysis: The important process parameters in this study are peak current, pulse on time, pulse off time and tool lift time with machining qualities as material removal rate and surface roughness. To conduct the experiments L27 orthogonal array was used. Findings: Prediction of Material Removal Rate and Surface Roughness with regression analysis when compared with the experimental results shows variation due to nonlinear complex phenomena which influence the accuracy and precision of the product. In such circumstances, a Artificial neural network model is developed using MATLAB programming on the Levenberg-Marquardt back propagation technique with appropriate architecture of the logistic sigmoid activation function to predict the responses. The experimental data were segregated in three parts to train the network, to testing for convergence and finally to validate the model. The developed model has been verified experimentally for training and testing in considering the number of iterations and mean square error convergence criteria. Improvements/Applications The developed model results are to approximate the responses quite accurately. Results revealed that the proposed model can be successfully employed in the prediction of the complex EDM process.
Artificial Neural Network, EDM, Material Removal Rate, Surface Roughness
- Rajesh R, Dev Anand M. Prediction of EDM Process Parameters for a Composite Material using RBFNN and ANN through RSM, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 2016 April; 9(13):1−12.
- Tang L, Guo YF. Electrical Discharge Precision Machining Parameters Optimization Investigation on S-03 Special Stainless Steel, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2014; 70:1369–76.
- Sanjeev Kumar, Ajay Batish, Rupinder Singh, Singh TP. A Hybrid Taguchi-Artificial Neural Network Approach to Predict Surface Roughness during Electric Discharge Machining of Titanium Alloys, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2014; 28(7):2831−44.
- Ravindranadh Bobbili, Madhu V, Gogia AK. Effect of Wire-EDM Machining Parameters on Surface Roughness and Material Removal Rate of High Strength Armor Steel. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2013; 28:364–68.
- Sameh S, Habib A. Modeling of Electrical Discharge Machining of CFRP Material through Artificial Neural Network Technique, Journal of Machinery Manufacturing and Automation. 2014; 3:22–31.
- Vaishav Panchal A, Ravi K Patel, Bhavesh A Patel, Haresh A Patel. Effect of Process Parameters on Surface Quality and MRR in EDM of SS 440 C Using ANN, International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication. 2014; 2(7):1949–57.
- Shiba Narayan Sahu, Debasis Nayak, Hemanta Kumar Rana. ANN Performance Evaluation in Modeling of MRR, EDM Proceedings of International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology. 2013; 3(11):1-12.
- Ashikur Rahman Khan, Kadirgama K. Artificial Intelligent Approach for Machining Titanium Alloy in a Nonconventional Process, International Journal of Mathematical, Computational, Natural and Physical Engineering. 2013; 7(1):1098-103.
- Das R, Pradhan MK, Das S. Prediction of Surface Roughness in Electrical Discharge Machining of SKD 11 Tool Steel using Recurrent Elman Networks, Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. 2013; 7(1):67−71.
- Pushpendra S Bharti, Maheshwari S Sharma C. MultiObjective Optimization of Electric-Discharge Machining Process using Controlled Elitist NSGA-II, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2012; 26(6):1−9.
- Rahman MM. Modeling of Machining Parameters of Ti-6Al-4V for Electric Discharge Machining a Neural Network Approach, Scientific Research and Essays. 2012; 7(8):881−90.
- Reza Atef, Navid Javan, Farhad Teimoori. The Influence of EDM Parameters in Finishing Stage on Surface Quality MRR and EWR, Research journal of Applied Science, Engineering and Technology. 2012; 4(10):1287−94.
- Krishna Mohana Rao, Hanumantha Rao. Hybrid Modeling and Optimization of Hardness of Surface Produced by Electric Discharge Machining using Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithm, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2010; 5(5):72−81.
- Somashakara KP, Ramachandran N. Optimization of MRR in Micro-EDM using Artificial Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm, Journal of Materials and Manufacturing Process. 2010; 25:467−75.15. Assarzadeh S, Ghoreishi M. Neural Network-Based Modeling and Optimization of Electro-Discharge Machining Process, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2008; 39:488−500.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.