Total views : 237
Multilayer PVD Surface Engineered Coatings for Sheet Metal Forming Tools
Objectives: In this paper, the surface of sheet metal forming tool is coated by physical vapour deposition with molybdenum disulphide with the aim of preventing their premature failure. Method/Analysis: Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coatings have held a prominent position in this field for the last one decade. Although low friction coatings are deposited with good adhesion to the substrate there is a possibility of surface coating with poor adhesion. In the present paper molybdenum disulphide was deposited on D2 tool steel specimen by thermal evaporation. The effect of multilayer on microstructure, micro hardness, coating thickness and film adhesion were studied. Findings: It had been found that multilayer coatings has provided with improved adhesion, non columnar microstructure and harder surfaces. Improvement: The multilayer PVD MoS2 coatings provide a hard and wear resistant surface on sheet metal forming tool and improve its life.
Forming Tool and Coating, PVD, Tool Steel.
- Zeghni AE, Hashmi MSJ. The effect of coating and nitriding on the wear behavior of tool steels. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2004; 155–156:1918–22.
- Renevier_NM, Hamphire J, Fox VC, Witts J, Allen T, Teer DG. Advantages of using self lubricating hard wear resistant MoS2 based coatings. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2001; 142-144:967–77.
- Efeoglu I. Deposition and characterization of multilayered composite solid lubricant coating. Rev Advanced Material Science. 2007; 15:87–94.
- Li-Na Z, Wang CB, Wang HD, Xu BS, Zhuang DM, Liu JJ, Li GL. Microstructure and tribological properties of WS2/MoS2 multilayer films. Applied Surface Science. 2012; 258:1944–8.
- Kim SK, Ahn YH, Kim KH. MoS2-Ti composite coatings on tool steel by DC magnetron sputtering. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2003; 169-170:428–32.
- Podgornik B, Hogmark S. Surface modification to improve friction and galling properties of forming tools. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2006; 174:334–41.
- Udayakumar R, Khanaa V, Saravanan T. Synthesis and structural characterization of thin films of SnO2 prepared by spray pyrolysis technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(65):4754–7.
- Holmberg K, Matthews A, Ronkainen H. Coating tribology - Contact mechanisms and surface design. Tribology International. 1998; 31(1–3):107–20.
- North B. Six issues for the hard coatings community. Surface and Coatings Technology. 1998; 106:129–34.
- Strapasson G, Badin PC, Soares GV, Machado G, Figueroa CA, Hubler R, Gasparin AL, Baumvol IJR, Aguzzoli C, Tentardini EK. Structure, composition and mechanical characterization of DC sputtered TiN-MoS2. Surface and Coatings Technology. 2011; 205:3810–5.
- Clarysse F, Lauwerens W, Vermeulen M. Tribological properties of PVD tool coatings in forming operations of steel sheet. Wear. 2008; 264:400–4.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.