Total views : 96
Emission Analysis of Mustard Oil Methyl Oil Methyl Ester at Varying Injection Timing
Objectives: The intention of this work is to examine the emission characteristics of mustard oil methyl ester at various injection timings. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The work was done in vertical cylinder and air cooled diesel engine running at atmospheric conditions and at 1500 rpm. Findings: Result indicated that by advancing the fuel injection by 60 bT DC, NOX emission for Mustard oil methyl ester and diesel is increased by 11.61% and 16.12% respectively. In addition, HC emission elevates by 16.9% and 12.59% for MO and diesel. Furthermore, CO shoots up to by 6.94% and 10.42% for MO and diesel. Application/Improvements: This experimental study evidently indicates that by altering the fuel injection various emissions associated with CI engine increases for both the fuels stating that the fuels should be injected in appropriate timing (24°bTDC) to ensure uniform mixing, improved combustion and lesser emissions.
Diesel Engine, Emissions, Injection Timing, Mustard Oil, Methyl Ester
- Dulari Hansdah S, Murugan LM. Experimental studies on a DI diesel engine fueled with bioethanol-diesel emulsions.AEJ-Alexandria Engineering Journal. 2013 Sep; 52(3):26776.
- Chauhan HCL. A study on the performance and emission of a diesel engine fueled with Karanja biodiesel and its blends. Energy. 2013 Jul; 56:1-7.
- Nabi MSA. Biodiesel from cotton seed oil and its effect on engine performance and exhaust emissions. Applied Ther - mal Engineering. 2009 Aug; 29(11-12): 2265-70.
- Ozsezen AN, Canakci M. Determination of performance and combustion characteristics of a diesel engine fuelled with canola and waste palm oil methyl esters. Energy Conservation and Management. 2011 Jan; 52(1):108-16.
- Labeckas G, Slavinskas S. The effect of rapeseed oil methyl ester on direct injection Diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions. Energy Conservation and Management. 2006 Aug; 47(13-14):1954-67.
- Xue JL, Grift TE, Hansen AC. Effect of biodiesel on engine performances and emissions. Renewable Sustainable Ener - gy Review. 2011 Feb; 15(2):1098-116.
- Di Y, Cheung CS, Huang ZH. Experimental investigation on regulated and unregulated emissions of a diesel engine fueled with ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel blended with biodiesel from waste cooking oil. Science Total Environment. 2009 Jan; 407(2):835-46.
- Chalatlon V, Roy MM, Dutta A, Kumar S. Jatropha oil production and an experimental investigation of its use as an alternative fuel in a DI diesel engine. Journal of Petrol Technology Alternate Fuels. 2011 May; 2(5):76-85.
- Dorado MP, Ballesteros E, Arnal JM, Gomez J, Lopez FJ. Exhaust emissions form a diesel engine fueled with transesterified waste olive oil. Fuel. 2003 Jul; 82(11):1311-5.
- Kalam MA, Husnawan M, Masjuki MH. Exhaust emission and combustion evaluation of coconut oil-powered indirect injection diesel engine. Renewable Energy. 2003 Dec; 28(15):2405–15.
- Utlu Z, Kocak MS. The effect of biodiesel fuel obtained from waste frying oil on direct injection diesel engine per - formance and exhaust emissions. Renewable Energy. 2008 Aug; 33(8):1936-41.
- Heywood JB. Internal combustion engine fundamentals. 1 ed. New York: McGraw Hill; 1988 Mar.
- Yuvarajan D, Venkata Ramanan M. Experimental analysis on neat mustard oil methyl ester subjected to ultrasonication and microwave irradiation in four stroke single cylinder Diesel engine. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 30(1):437-46.
- Yuvarajan D, Venkata Ramanan M. Investigation on effect of magnetite nanofluid on performance and emission patterns of methyl esters of bio diesel. Journal of Environmental Engineering and Landscape Management. 2016 Jun; 24(2):90-6.
- Venkata Ramanan M, Yuvarajan D. Performance study of preheated mustard oil methyl ester on naturally aspirated CI engine. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015 Aug; 787:761-5.
- Venkata Ramanan M, Yuvarajan D. Emission analysis of preheated methyl ester on CI engine. Applied Mechanics and Materials. 2015 Nov; 812:21-5.
- Navaneethakrishnan P, Vasudevan D. Experimental study on performance and exhaust emission characteristics of a C.I. engine fuelled with tri compound oxygenated diesel fuel blends. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(1):96-102.
- Selvam M, Vigneshwaran M, Irudhayaraj R, Palani S. Emission control diesel power plant for reducing oxides of nitrogen through selective catalytic reduction method using ammonia. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(1):1-7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.