Total views : 313
Experimental Investigation of Nano Powders Influence in NPMEDM of Inconel 800 with Silver Coated Electrolytic Copper Electrode
Objectives: To optimize the Material Removal Rate, Surface Rougness and Tool Wear Rate in Powder Mixed Electrical Discharge Machining (PMEDM) of Incony 800 and to prepare parameter chart card for the Manufacturer to choose required parameter based on the job requirements and cost estimation etc. Methods/Analysis: The purpose of powder mix in a dielectric is to improve the machining performance, in which the powder material’s, size, concentration and its base fluids are greatly influenced in machining performance. Hence this research is focused on study the influence of Nano-Powders with selected concentration in PMEDM of Incony 800 with silver coated electrolyte copper electrode. so the Taguchi full factorial Design is employed for the Nano-Powders of Aluminum, silicon and Multi-Wall Carbon Nano Tubes and No Powder mixed condition (conventional dielectric) were considered for investigation Findings: The Powder mixed electrical discharge machining (PMEDM) is mostly encounter choice in machining hard material to obtain a superior finish with accurately. The Nano-powder of Multi-Wall Carbon Nano Tubes (MWCNTs) outperforms than other Nano-Powders. The results were compared to conventional EDM and Nano-Power Mixed EDM (NPMEDM). The NPMEDM reduced the Tool Wear Rate (TWR) average percentage of 11.91%, 20.72% and 31.71%, the percentage of surface roughness reduction are 9.58%, 22.00% and 28.93% and the material removal rate improvement are 17.70%, 31.62% and 47.03% than Conventional EDM by Aluminum NPMEDM, Silicon NPMEDM and MWCNTs NPMEDM respectively. Application/Improvement: The study is unique by using nanopowders of MWCNTs, Al, Si mixed in Kerosine and servotherm oil enriched dielectric fluid for machining Nickel based super alloy like Incony 800. Here the EDM and PMEDM performances were evaluated experimentally and compared. No statistical and approximation were used. The unique approach of preparation of parameter card was introduced.
NPMEDM, EDM, Tool wear rate, Material Removal Rate, Surface Roughness, nanopowders.
- Jeswani ML. Effect of the addition of graphite powder to kerosene used as the dielectric fluid in electrical discharge machining. Wear. 1981 Aug; 70(2):133–9.
- Prabhu S, Vinayagam BK. Analysis of surface characteristics of AISI D2 tool steel material using electric discharge machining process with single-wall carbon nano-tubes. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2010 Feb; 2(1):35–41.
- Ojha K, Garg RK, Singh KK. Experimental investigation and modelling of PMEDM process with chromium powder suspended dielectric. International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering. 2011; 9(2):65–81.
- Hewidy MS, El-Taweel TA, El-Safty MF. Modelling the machining parameters of wire electrical discharge machining of Inconel 601 using RSM. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2005 Nov; 169(2):328–36.
- Narutaki N, Yamane Y, Lee Y. High speed machining of Inconel 718 with ceramic tools. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology. 1993 Jan; 42(1):103–6.
- Sharma S, Kumar A, Beri N, Kumar D. Effect of aluminium powder addition in dielectric during electric discharge machining of hastelloy on machining performance using reverse polarity. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology. 2010 Oct–Dec; 1(3):13–24.
- Prajapati RA, Patel H. Experimental investigation of powder mix EDM using silicon dioxide as a powder additive for surface roughness. International Journal of Advance Engineering and Research Development. 2015 Jan; 2(1):28–34.
- Gugulothu B, Rao DH, Rao GKM. Optimization of EDM process parameters and graphite powder concentration on electrical discharge machining of Ti-6Al-4V alloy using Taguchi method. International Journal of Advances in Production and Mechanical Engineering. 2015; 1(5):31–44.
- Singh S, Kalra CS. Experimental study of PMEDM on EN 24 steel with tungsten powder in dielectric. International Journal on Emerging Technologies. 2014; 5(1):153–60.
- Syed KH, Kuppan P. Studies on recast-layer in EDM using aluminium powder mixed distilled water dielectric fluid. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2013 Apr–May; 5(2):1775–80.
- Kaldhone SY, Kavade MV, Rawat U. Effect of powder mixed dielectric on performance measures of EDM for tungsten carbide. International Journal of Innovative Research in Advanced Engineering. 2014 Nov; 1(10):106–11.
- Tzeng YF, Lee CY. Effects of powder characteristics on electro discharge machining efficiency. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2001 Apr; 17(8):586–92.
- Kuppan P, Rajadurai A, Narayanan S. Influence of EDM process parameters in deep hole drilling of Inconel 718. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2008 Jul; 38(1):74–84.
- Rajyalakshmi G, Ramaiah PV. Multiple process parameter optimization of wire electrical discharge machining on Inconel 825 using Taguchi grey relational analysis. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2013 Nov; 69(5):1249–62.
- MuthuKumar V, Babu AS, Venkatasamy R, Raajenthiren M. Optimization of the WEDM parameters on machining Incoloy800 Super alloy with multiple quality characteristics. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2010 Jun; 2(6):1538–47.
- Muthukumar V, Rajesh N, Venkatasamy R, Sureshbabu A, Senthilkumar N. Mathematical modeling for radial overcut on electrical discharge machining of Incoloy 800 by response surface methodology. Procedia Materials Science. 2014 Dec; 6:1674–82.
- Lin M-Y, Tsao C-C, Hsu C-Y, Chiou A-H, Huang P-C, Lin Y-C. Optimization of micro milling electrical discharge machining of Inconel 718 by Grey-Taguchi method. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China. 2013 Mar; 23(3):661–6.
- Kumar A, Maheshwari S, Sharma C, Beri N. A study of multiobjective parametric optimization of silicon abrasive mixed electrical discharge machining of tool steel. Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 2010 Dec; 25(10):1041–7.
- Ghewade DV, Nipanikar SR. Experimental study of electro discharge machining for inconel material. Journal of Engineering Research and Studies. 2011 Apr–Jun; 2(1):107–12.
- Rathi MG, Mane DV. Study on effect of powder mixed dielectric in EDM of Inconel 718. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2014 Nov; 4(11):1–7.
- Singh G, Singh P, Tejpal G, Singh B. Effect of machining parameters on surface roughness of H13 steel in EDM process using powder mixed fluid. International Journal of Advance Research and Studies. 2012 Oct–Dec; 2(1):148–50.
- Jamadar MM, Kavade MV. Effect of aluminum powder mixed EDM on machining characteristics of die steel (AISI D3). Proceedings of 10th IRF International Conference; 2014 Jun. p. 121–3.
- Mir MJ, Sheikh K, Singh B, Malhotra N. Modeling and analysis of machining parameters for surface roughness in powder mixed EDM using RSM approach. International Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2012 Oct; 4(3):45–52.
- Goyal S, Singh RK. Parametric study of powder mixed EDM and optimization of MRR and surface roughness. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology. 2014 Jan; 3(1):56–62.
- Gurule NB, Nandurkar KN. Effect of tool rotation on material removal rate during powder mixed electric discharge machining of die steel. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2012 Aug; 2(8):328–338.
- Syed KH, Anuraag GP, Hemanth G, Subahan SA. Powder-mixed EDM machining of aluminium-Silicon carbide composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(S2):133–7.
- Chow H_M, Yang L-D, Lin C-T, Chen Y-F. The use of SiC powder in water as dielectric for micro-slit EDM machining. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 2008 Jan; 195(1–3):160–70.
- Wong YS, Lim LC, Rahuman I, Tee WM. Near-mirror-finish phenomenon in EDM using powder-mixed dielectric. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. 1998 Jul; 79(1–3):30–40.
- Banker KS, Parmar SP, Parekh BC. Review to performance improvement of die sinking EDM using powder mixed dielectric fluid. International Journal of Research in Modern Engineering and Emerging Technology. 2013 Apr; 1(3):57–62.
- Mohri N, Saito N, Takawashi T, Kobayashi K. Mirror-like finishing by EDM (multi divided electrode method). Macmillan Education UK; 1985. p. 329–36.
- Pecas P, Henriques E. Influence of silicon powder-mixed dielectric on conventional electrical discharge machining. International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacturing. 2003 Nov; 43(14):1465–71.
- Singh S, Singh J. Optimization of powder mixed electric discharge machining using ASTM A-105 steel by response surface methodology. International Journal of Enhanced Research in Science Technology and Engineering. 2014 Aug; 3(8):291–303.
- Kansal HK, Singh S, Kumar P. Effect of silicon powder mixed EDM on machining rate of AISI D2 die steel. Journal of Manufacturing Processes. 2007 Jan; 9(1):13–22.
- Khundrakpam NS, Singh H, Kumar S, Brar GS. Investigation and modeling of silicon powder mixed EDM using response surface method. International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology. 2014 Apr; 4(2):1022–6.
- Razak MA, Abdul-Rani AM, Nanimina AM. Improving EDM efficiency with silicon carbide powder mixed dielectric fluid. International Journal of Materials, Mechanics and Manufacturing. 2015 Feb; 3(1):40–3.
- Padhee S, Nayak N, Panda SK, Dhal PR, Mahapatra SS. Multi-objective parametric optimization of powder mixed electro-discharge machining using response surface methodology and non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm. Sadhana. 2012 Apr; 37(2):223–40.
- Darji Y, Koradiya P, Shah JR. Experiment investigation of EDM parameter MRR and TWR with multi wall carbon nano tubes. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 2014 Jul; 5(7):184–92.
- Yan BH, Chen SL. Effect of ultrasonic vibration on electrical discharge machining characteristics of Ti–6Al–4V alloy. Journal of Japan Institute of Light Metals. 1994 May; 44(5):281–5.
- Mai C, Hocheng H, Huang S. Advantages of carbon nanotubes in electrical discharge machining. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 2012 Mar; 59(1):111–17.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.