Total views : 180
Application of Discrete Multi-wavelet Transform in Denoising of Mammographic Images
Objectives: Clinical and surgical procedures heavily depend on acquiring and transmitting medical information by electronic devices and media in the form of medical images. In this process the quality of these images are degraded by noise, making denoising mandatory. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In this paper de noising algorithms in wavelet domain for mammographic images (used for detection of breast cancer in women) are considered. A modified approach for de noising of mammographic images using Multi Wavelet Transform has been proposed with four different thresholding techniques.These Multi wavelets possess important properties like orthogonality, symmetry and compact support simultaneously.Performance of denoising methods improves considerably due to these properties. Findings: Proposed method is applied on large data set of digital mammographic images freely available as mammographic data base by MAIS. DMWT based denoising scheme with four different types of thresholding estimates, namely Bayesian shrink, Visu shrink, neighborhood shrink and modified neighborhood shrink is applied on data set and compared the performance of proposed denoising algorithm with dwt based existing denoising methods. Higher the value of σ (noise variance) for Gaussian noise considered lower is the value of PSNR, obtained, whatever is the transformation and techniques applied. Even among the DMWT: GHM,CL and SA4, SA4 gives the best response for all the cases. Applications/Improvements: The results are compared on the basis of Peak Signal to Noise Ratio (PSNR) in dB. Results clearly indicate the superiority of the proposed method in all the four cases over exiting wavelet based method. This new improved method will help a lot in diagnosis of breast cancer more accurately and the correct prognosis can save many lives.
Discrete Multi Wavelet Transform, Denoising, Mammographic Images, Multiwavelet Transform
- World Health Statistics.Tech. rep. World Health Organization (WHO). 2013. Available from: http://www.who.int/ gho/publications/world_health_statistics/ EN_WHS2013_ Full.pdf
- Donoho D. De-noising by soft thresholding. IEEE Trans on Information Theory. 1995; 38(2):613-27.
- Donoho D, Johnstone I. Ideal spatial adaptation by wavelet shrinkage. Biometrika. 1994; 81(3):425-55.
- Simoncelli EP, Adelson EH. Noise removal via bayesian wavelet coring. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Process; 1996. p. 379-82.
- Starck JL, Candes EJ, Donoho DL. The curvelet transform for image denoising. IEEE Trans Image Process. 2002; 11(6):670–84.
- Portilla J, Strela V, Wainwright MJ, Simoncelli EP. Image denoising using scale mixtures of Gaussians in the wavelet domain. IEEE Trans Image Process. 2003; 12(11):1338-1.
- Chang SG, Yu B, Vitterli M. Adaptive wavelet thresholding for image denoising and compression. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2002; 1532-46.
- Hardin DP, Roach D. Multiwavelet prefilters I: Orthogonal prefilters preserving approximation order p ≤ 2. IEEE Trans Circuits Syst. 1998; 45(8):1106-12.
- Strela V, Heller P, Strang G, Topiwala P, Heil C. The application of multiwavelet filter banks to signal and image processing. IEEE Trans Image Processing. 1999; 8(4):548-63.
- Geronimo J, Hardin D, Massopust PR. Fractal functions and wavelet expansions based on several scaling functions. Journal of Approximation Theory. 1994; 78(3):373-401.
- Chui CK, Lian JA. A study of orthonormal multi-wavelets. Cat report 351. Texarkana, Texas, USA: A and M University; 1995.
- Qumar J, Gupta S. Performance measure of despeckling of SAR image using multiwavelets. NCC; 2009. p. 357-61.
- Martin MB, Bell AE. New image compression techniques using multiwavelets and multiwavelet packets. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. 2001; 10(4):500-10.
- Strang G, Nguyen TQ. Wavelets and Filter Banks. Wellesley, MA: Wellesley-Cambridge Press; 1998.
- Vetterli IM. Wavelets and filter banks: Theory and design. IEEE Trans on Signal Processing. 1992; 40:2207-32.
- Strang G, Strela V. Short wavelets and matrix dilation equations. IEEE Trans Signal Processing. 1995; 43(1):108-15.
- Xia XG, Geronimo JG, Hardin DP, Suter BW. Design of prefilters for discrete multiwavelet transforms. IEEE Trans Signal Processing. 1996; 41(1):25-35.
- Ramakrishnan S, Selvan S. Classification of brain tissues using multiwavelet transformation and probabilistic neural network. International Journal of Simulation: Sysatamatic Science and Technology. 2006; 7(9):9–25.
- Ahamad MG, Ahamad F, Aljuma A, Ali SA. Multi wavelet based tomographic image denoising using new sub band adaptive bivariate shrinkage. International Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering. 2011; 4(1):49-60.
- Bhatnagar S, Jain RC. A comparative analysis and applications of multi wavelet transform in image denoising. IJCI. 2015; 4(2).
- Somassoundaram T, Subramaniam NP. High performance angiogram sequence compression using 2D bi-orthogonal multiwavelet and hybrid SPIHT-DEFLATE algorithm. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(14):1-6.
- Downie TR, Silverman BW. The discrete multiple wavelet transform and thresholding methods. IEEE Trans. Signal Processing. 1998; 46:2558-61.
- Rasoul AM, Mohammed YAH, Al-Gawagzeh, Alsaaidah BA. Solving mammography problems of breast cancer detection using artificial neural networks and image processing techniques. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2012 Apr; 5(4):1-9.
- Mammographic Image Analysis Society. 2012. Available from: http://peipa.essex.ac.uk/info/mias.html
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.