Total views : 89
An Adaptive Behavioral Learning Technique based Bilateral Asymmetry Detection in Mammogram Images
Objectives: This work is used to efficiently analyze and identify the sign of the Bilateral Asymmetry presence in the mammogram images. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The proposed work performs the feature selection process prior to the classification of mammograms as Bilateral Asymmetry and architectural distortion. For the Bilateral Asymmetry the features used are based on the directional, morphological and density. For selecting potential features Artificial Bee Colony Optimization (ABCO) technique is used. The performance of each feature set obtained is measured using Artificial Neural Network classifier. The dataset for analysis is collected from MIAS database. Findings: The results of the ANN classification obtained by using the feature selection Particle Swarm Optimization and Ant Colony Optimization with the three features M1, M2 and H aligned are selected but its performance is relatively low while comparing with the selected features of the ABCO. The ABCO significantly reduces the false positive rates in the detection of the ROI in the Bilateral Asymmetry detection. In recognizing the sign of bilateral asymmetry, the results retrieved shows best performance which indicates features of directional features and ROI alignment. The experimental result shows that in the Bilateral Asymmetry the sensitivity and specificity using PCO is 0.79% and 0.83% and for ABCO it is 0.89% and 0.91% respectively. So the rate of true positive value increases in a substantial manner thus reducing the false positive rate. Application/Improvements: In this study, prelude results are exposed related to the segmentation of fibro-glandular discs, the two angular distributions categorizations and the features extraction. It reports the detection of Bilateral Asymmetry in Mammogram images that may be used by radiologists for earlier prediction of breast cancer. Future work will address the problem of the asymmetry assessment.
Artificial Bee Colony Optimization, Artificial Neural Network Classification, Behavioural Learning, Bilateral Asymmetry Detection, Directional Feature Extraction, Morphological Feature Extraction
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M. GLOBOCAN. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide. IARC Cancer Base International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2013.
- Bray F, Ren JS, Masuyer E. Estimates of global cancer prevalence for 27 sites in the adult population in 2008.International Journal of Cancer. 2013; 132(5):1133–45.
- Chaurasia V, Pal S. A novel approach for breast cancer detection using data mining techniques. International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Communication Engineering. 2014; 2(1):2456–65.
- Ferrari RJ, Rangayyan RM, Desautels JEL, Frere AF.Analysis of asymmetry in mammograms via directional filtering with Gabor wavelets. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2001 Sep; 20:953–64.
- Maitra IK, Sanjay Nag S, Bandyopadhyay SK. Bilateral breast asymmetry detection using intensity histogram and landmark based registration technique. International Journal of Emerging Sciences. 2012 Sep; 2(3):383–404.
- Bozek J, Dumic E, Grgic M. Bilateral Asymmetry detection in digital mammography using B-spline interpolation systems, signals and image processing. Proceedings of 16th International Conference, IEEE Explorer; 2009.
- Mencattini A, Salmeri M, Casti P. Bilateral Asymmetry identification for the early detection of breast cancer.Proceedings of Medical Measurements and Applications (MeMeA); 2011 May.
- Georgsson F. Differential analysis of bilateral mammograms.International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence. 2003 Jul; 17(1):1207–26.
- Rangayyan RM, Ferrari RJ, Frere AF. Analysis of Bilateral Asymmetry in mammograms using directional, morphological and density features. Journal of Electronic Imaging.2007 Mar; 16(1).
- Homer MJ. Mammographic interpretation: A practical approach. 2nd ed. Boston: Tata McGraw-Hill; 1997.
- Geller BM. Illustrated Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS). 3rd ed. Reston, VA: American College of Radiology; 1998.
- Trivedi MM, Bezdek JC. Low-level segmentation of aerial images with fuzzy clustering. IEEE Transaction on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. 1986 Jul; 16(4):589–98.
- Runkler TA, Katz C. Fuzzy clustering by Particle Swarm Optimization. IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems; 2006. p. 601–8.
- Karaboga D, Basturk B. A powerful and efficient algorithm for numerical function optimization: Artificial Bee Colony (ABC) algorithm. Journal of Global Optimization Springer Netherlands. 2007; 39(3):459–71.
- Karaboga D. An idea based on honey bee swarm for numerical optimization. Technical Report-TR06. Engineering Faculty, Computer Engineering Department, Erciyes University: 2005.
- Ghosh S, Biswas S, Chanda (Sarkar) D, Sarkar PP. Breast cancer detection using a neuro-fuzzy based classification method. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Apr; 9(14):1–15.
- Venkatesan E, Velmurugan T. Performance analysis of Decision Tree algorithms for breast cancer classification.Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Nov; 8(29):1–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.