Total views : 136
Evaluation of Retention for Implant Retained Mandibular over Denture using Two Different Denture Base Materials
Objectives: This study was made for measuring and comparing the Retention of implant retained mandibular overdenture using resilient attachment with two different denture base materials (flexible and conventional acrylic resins). Methods/ Statistical Analysis: Twenty male patients selected for this study with completely edentulous mandible and divided according to the type of denture base material used into two equal groups, both groups received implant retained overdenture with resilient attachment. Group I; denture base made from conventional acrylic, Group II; denture base from thermo-elastic flexible acrylic, retention evaluation was made zero time, two months and four months after insertion. Findings: In this study, there was no statistical significance of difference between the groups, at time of insertion, 2 and 4 months after insertion. The highest values of retention were enlisted with the overdenture made from them oplastic acrylic resin and that may due to high inter facial surface tension recorded values of thermoplastic acrylic resin. Strong tension increase retention of the prosthesis in place. Flexible acrylic denture base showed better retention values and function than denture base made from heat cured acrylic resin material and it is agreed with another study which proved that retention values of Thermo-elastic resin was higher than conventional resin as the Thermo-elastic resins have greater flexibility, adaptation and fitting values than conventional resin. So, it has an improved retention because of inter-facial surface tension effect. Application/Improvements: Using overdenture base made of thermo-elastic acrylic resin clinically better than using overdenture base made of conventional acrylic denture base in retention and function.
Flexible Acrylic, Implant, Locator Attachment, Over Denture, Retention
- Bidkar DS, Hazari P, Bhoyar A, Agarwal S. Flexible overdenture: A clinical case report. International Journal of Contemporary Dentistry. 2011; 2(4):88–91.
- Zarb GA. More on implant prosthodontics and on lingering concerns. International Journal of Prosthodontics.2004; 17(6):605–6. PMid:15686091.
- Soni A. Management of severe undercuts in fabrication of complete dentures. New York State Dental Journal. 1994; 60(7):36–9. PMid:7936493.
- Rickman LJ, Satterthwaite JD. Contemporary denture base resins: Part 2. Dental Update. 2012; 39(3):176–8.PMid:22675889.
- Zitsmann NU, Marinello CP. A review of clinical and technical considerations for fixed and removable prosthesis in the edentulous mandible. International Journal of Prosthodontics. 2002; 15(1):65–72.
- Burns DR, Unger JW, Coffey JP, Waldrop TC, Elswick RK.Randomized, prospective, clinical evaluation of prosthodontics modalities for mandibular implant overdenture treatment. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2011; 106(1):12– 22. Crossref.
- Singh K, Gupta N. Telescopic denture- A treatment modality for minimizing the conventional removable complete denture problems: A case report. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012; 6(6):1112–16.
- Jayasree K, Bharathi M, Nag VD, Vinod B. Precision attachment: Retained overdenture. Journal of Indian Prosthodontics Society. 2012; 12(1):59–62. Crossref.PMid:23450190 PMCid:PMC3332315.
- Lord JL, Teel S. The overdenture: Patient selection, use of copings, and follow-up evaluation. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 1974; 32(1):41–51. Crossref.
- Koike T, Ueda T, Noda S, Ogami K, Patil PG. Development of new attachment system with soft lining material for implant-retained complete denture. International Journal of Prosthodontic and Restorative Dentistry. 2013; 3:21–4.Crossref.
- Zhang CH, Wei H, Liu Y, Tan H, Guo Z. Enhanced toughness and shape memory behaviors of toughed epoxy resin.High Performance Polymers. 2012; 24(8):702–9. Crossref.
- Tokue A, Hayakawa T, Ohkubo C. Fatigue resistance and retentive force of cast clasps treated by shot peening.Journal of Prosthodontic Research. 2013; 57(3):186–94.Crossref. PMid:23809297.
- Singh JP, Dhiman RK, Bedi RP, Girish SH. Flexible denture base material: A viable alternative to conventional acrylic denture base material. Contemporary Clinical Dentistry. 2011; 2(4):313–17. Crossref. PMid:22346159 PMCid:PMC3276859.
- Al-Nori A. Kh, Ali AA, Rejab LT. Water sorption of heat– cured acrylic resin. Al-Rafidain Dental Journal. 2007; 7(2):186–94.
- Tandon R, Gupta S, Agarwal SK. Denture base materials: From past to future. Indian Journal of Dental Science. 2010; 2(2):33–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.