Total views : 216
The Mediation of Worry about Career between Career Indecision and Career Search Behavior in South Korean College Students
Background/Objectives: This study intended to explore the mediating role of worry about career in the influence of career indecision on career search behavior in South Korean college students. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Three hundred and twenty-five students attending Sun Moon University responded the questionnaire for this study. To measure Career indecision, KCII (Korean Career Indecision Inventory) was used. The researchers have made the Korean version of 11-items measures using ‘The Penn State Worry Questionnaire’ to measure Worry about Career and to measure Career search behavior, we used 16-items of Career Search Behavior Scale of Choi. Findings: We tested the relationships among the overall constructs and among the sub-factors using Mplus 7.0. Firstly, the result on the relationships among the overall constructs showed the positive direct influence of Career Indecision on Worry about career, the positive direct influence of Worry about Career on Career Search Behavior, the negative direct influence of Career Indecision on Career Search Behavior. Furthermore, the indirect effect (Career Indecision → Worry about Career → Career Search Behavior) was also significant. Next, the result on the relationships among the sub-factors showed as follows: Indecisiveness influenced Information-Seeking and Advice-Seeking with the mediation of Worry about Career. Lack of Necessity Recognition influenced all of three sub-factors of Career Search Behavior negatively with the mediation of Worry about Career. Lack of Self-Identity had a positive effect on Self-Seeking but a negative effect on Advice-Seeking with the mediation of Worry about Career. Finally, External Barrier had a positive effect on Information-Seeking and Advice-Seeking with the mediation of Worry about Career. Improvements/Applications: This study will contribute the theoretical and practical development of research, education, and counseling of career guidance.
Career Indecision, Career Search Behavior, South Korea, Worry about Career, Worry Anxiety.
- Lee J-Y, Chang J-Y, Kim M-U. The relationship of career indecision, job search behavior and employment among college seniors. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues. 2005; 11(1):1-23.
- Lee SJ, Jeong IH, Lee YJ, Kang YJ. Factors influencing career preparation behaviors during career decision – Case study on students majoring in dental technology. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S1):68-73.
- Gati I, Krausz M, Osipow SH. Taxonomy of difficulties in career decision making. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 1996; 43:510-26.
- Hartman BW, Fuqua DR, Hartman PT. The predictive potential of the career decision scale in identifying chronic career indecision. Vocational Guidance Quarterly. 1983; 32(2):103-8.
- Crites JO. Vocational psychology: The study of vocational behavior and development. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1969.
- Gordon VN. The Undecided College Student: An Academic and Career Advising Challenge. 2nd ed. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas; 1995.
- Tak J, Lee K-H. Development of the Korean Career Indecision Inventory. Journal of Career Assessment. 2003; 11(3):328–45.
- Osipow SH, Carney CG, Barak A. A scale of educational-vocational undecided: A typological approach. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 1976; 9:233-43.
- Borkovec T. D., Robinson E., Pruzinsky T., DePree J. A. Preliminary exploration of worry: Some characteristics and processes. Behavior Research and Therapy. 1983, 21, pp. 9-16
- Borkovec T. D., Wilkinson L., Folensbee R., Lerman C. Stimulus Control Application to the Treatment of Worry. Behavior Research and Therapy. 1983, 21(3), pp. 247-51.
- Davey GCL. A comparison of three worries questionnaires. Behavior Research and Therapy. 1993; 31:51-6.
- Davey GCL. Pathological worrying as exacerbated problem solving. Worring: Perspectives on Theory, Assessment and Treatment. In: Davey GCL, Tallis F, editors. Chichester, England: Wiley; 1994. p. 35-60.
- Borkovec TD. The Nature, Functions and Origins of Worry. Worrying: Perspectives on Theory, Assessment and Treatment. In: Davey GCL, Tallis F, editors. Chichester, England: Wiley; 1994. p. 5-33.
- Seol SW, Oh KJ. The mechanism of the influence of intolerance of uncertainty and perceived emotion controllability on worry: Mediating effect of problem orientation. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 2008; 27(1):209-35.
- Lee Y-K, Kim I-G. Analysis of worries and solution strategy type of college athletes. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(21):1-9.
- Rawson HE, Bloomer K, Kendall A. Stress, anxiety, depression and physical illness in college students. The Journal of Genetic Psychology. 1994; 155:321-30.
- Brown GS, Strange C. The relationship of academic major and career choice status to anxiety among college freshmen. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 1981; 19:328-34.
- Daniels LM, Clifton RA, Perry RP, Mandzuk D, Hall NC. Student teachers’ competence and career certainty: The effects of career anxiety and perceived control. Social Psychology of Education. 2006; 9:405-23.
- Germeijs V, Verschueren K, Soenens B. Indecisiveness and high school students’ career decision-making process: Longitudinal associations and the meditational role of anxiety. Journal of Counseling Psychology. 2006; 53:397-410.
- Fuqua DR, Seaworth TB, Newman JL. The relationship of career indecision and anxiety: A multivariate examination. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 1987; 30:175-86.
- Miller A, Rottinghaus P. Career indecision, meaning in life and anxiety: An existential framework. Journal of Career Assessment. 2013; 22(2):233-47.
- Borkovec TD, Inz J. The nature of worry in generalized anxiety disorder: A predominance of thought activity. Behavior Research and Therapy. 1990; 28:153-8.
- Davey GCL, Hampton J, Farrell J, Davidson S. Some characteristics of worrying: Evidence for worrying and anxiety as separate constructs. Personality and Individual Differences. 1992; 13(2):133-47.
- Borkovec TD, Shadick RN, Hopkins M. The nature of normal and pathological worry. Chronic anxiety: Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Mixed Anxiety-Depression. In: Rapee RM, Barlow DH, editors. New York: Guilford; 1991. p. 29-51.
- Blau G. Further exploring the relationship between job search and voluntary individual turnover. Personnel Psychology. 1993; 46:213-30.
- Schwab DP, Rynes SL, Aldag RJ. Theories and research on job search and choice. Research in Personnel and Human Resources Management. 1987; 5:129-66.
- Wanberg CR, Watt JD, Rumsey DJ. Individual without jobs: An empirical study of job seeking behavior and reemployment. Journal of Applied Psychology. 1996; 81(1):76-87.
- Phillips SD, Blustein DL. Readiness for career choices: Planning, exploring and deciding. Career Development Quarterly. 1994; 43:63-73.
- Molina S, Borkovec TD. The Penn State worry questionnaire: Psychometric properties and associated characteristics. Worrying: Perspectives on Theory, Assessment and Treatment. In: Davey GCL, Tallis F, editors. Chichester, England: Wiely; 1994. p. 265-83.
- Choi DS. The relationship between career exploration behavior and motivational factors and attachment of undergraduate students [Dissertation for the Doctor of Education]. South Korea: Graduate School, Seoul National University; 2003.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.