Total views : 217
A Review of Research on Mentoring Program for Adolescents in Korea
Objectives: To examine research trends of mentoring programs for adolescents in Korea in order to understand current status of research and suggest directions for future research. Methods/Statistical Analysis: For this purpose, this study reviewed domestic articles about mentoring program for adolescents that are registered (or nominated to be) in the National Research Foundation of Korea. Using content analysis, these studies were analyzed according to subjects of research, research themes and the methodologies used. Findings: According to the results of the study, the subjects of research in the area of mentoring program for adolescents were mainly mentees participating in the programs. Major themes found in this study were the effects of mentoring programs, factors affecting outcomes of mentoring programs and subjective experiences of mentor or mentee. With regard to methodologies used, quantitative methodology was used frequently and qualitative methods showed steady increases. Improvements/Applications: For future research, findings of this study suggested needs for conducting research using more sophisticated rigorous methodology. Extending research themes would contribute to the future literature as well.
Adolescents, Mentee, Mentor, Mentoring, Mentoring Programs.
- Tolan PH, Henry DB, Schoeny MS, Lovegrove P, Nichols E. Mentoring programs to affect delinquency and associated outcomes of youth at risk: A comprehensive meta-analytic review. Journal of Experimental Criminology. 2014; 10(2):179–206.
- Wood S, Mayo-Wilson E. School-based mentoring for adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Research on Social Work Practice. 2012; 22(3):257–69.
- Dubois DL, Portillo N, Rhodes JE, Silverthorn N, Valentine JC. How effective are mentoring programs for youth? A systematic assessment of the evidence. Psychological Science in the Public Interest. 2011; 12(2):57–91.
- Sung MJ, Yoo JY. Supporting undergraduate student mentors in mentoring programs for youth: A case study. Studies on Korean Youth. 2013; 24(2):5–33.
- Dubois DL, Holloway BE, Valentine JC, Cooper HM. Effectiveness of mentoring programs for youth: A meta-analytic review. American Journal of Community Psychology. 2002; 30:157–97.
- Keating LM, Tomishima MA, Foster S, Alessandri M. The effects of a mentoring program on at-risk youth. Adolescence. 2002; 37(148):717–33.
- Yang JH, Kim MA. The effects of a mentoring program for adolescents: A meta-analysis. Studies on Korean Youth. 2016; 27(1):65–94.
- Kweon HS. The effect of a mentoring program on fostering positive development capabilities in juveniles under probation. Youth Facility and Environment. 2014; 12(2):81–92.
- Park HS. The effect of youth mentoring program on developmental outcomes of at-risk adolescents. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies. 2010; 41(1):175–201.
- Bae HO. An analysis of mentoring effects on Korean adolescents’ maladjustment to school. Journal of Evaluation on Counseling. 2012; 5(2):27–46.
- Kim EH, Park SM. The trends and issues of research on the working alliance in Korea. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2011; 23(1):1–25.
- Choi SH, Kim HS, Yang HW, Lee KY, Choi JH. A study on perceived outcome of mentoring for children and adolescents in low-income family. Korea Youth Research. 2010; 17(9):253–76.
- Kim SG, Lee JK. Effectiveness of mentoring program for psychosocial adjustment of adolescents in poverty. Korea Youth Research. 2007; 14(5):75–98.
- Park HS. The impact of school-based mentoring program on youths in low-income families. Journal of School of Social Work. 2012; 23:101–22.
- Pang JH. A study on effect of mentoring program to enhance psycho social adaptability of adolescents in a low-income and single parent family. Journal of Social Work Practice. 2004; 4:113–42.
- Lee HJ, Park HS. A qualitative study on the process of mentoring programs for adolescents in poverty. Studies on Korean Youth. 2009; 20(4):331–58.
- Bae JH, Chung JS. A study on the development of a mentoring program for the adolescents of grandparent-grandchildren families in rural areas. Studies on Korean Youth. 2009; 20(1):5–28.
- Jeon SY. A study on effect of mentoring program with mental and social adaptation for youth runaways. Journal of Evaluation on Counseling. 2012; 5(1):31–43.
- Koh YS. A qualitative study on university students group mentoring for delinquent adolescents under probation. Journal of Welfare for the Correction. 2014; 35(2):1–32.
- Han YJ, Lee YJ, Kim SJ, Lee HJ. A narrative inquiry on experience of mentors and mentees of long-term mentoring program for teenagers of low income families. Korean Journal of Counseling. 2015; 16(5):229–51.
- Kim JY, Jung SY. The effects of cross-age peer mentoring perceived by participants and relevant factors. Korea Youth Research. 2013; 20(2):23–44.
- Oh MS, Kwon IN. The effects of mentor’s empathic ability on mentoring relationship and mentee’s self-esteem. Korea Youth Research. 2012; 19(7):119–36.
- Kang MC, Kim SI, Lee AR. Effective mentoring elements of supervision in accordance with the characteristics of the vulnerable adolescents. Asian Journal of Education. 2015; 16(2):1–31.
- Kim YS, Kim GH. A study on effective supervision skills for mentorship based on the children of multi-cultural families. Studies on Humanities. 2012; 33:453–76.
- Park SY. Youth mentoring policies and practices: Cases from England. Studies on Civil Youth. 2012; 4(1):1–28.
- Lee MH. A case study on youth mentoring in Germany and its implications and suggestions. Global Youth Studies. 2012; 2(2):5–39.
- Lee KJ. Mentoring system for mal-adaptive youth. Social Science Research. 2012; 2: 122–41.
- Lee JH. The development and its effect of mentoring program for self-sufficiency of the prostitute. Korea Youth Research. 2009; 16(9):269–90.
- Jun MH. A study on the mentoring program for children moved from North Korea. Korean Journal of Clinical Social Work. 2011; 8(1):101–23.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.