Total views : 236
Association of Gender, Education, Income and Self- Perceived Oral Health Status among the Koreans; The 6th Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES)
Objectives: This study was conducted to know about the association between socio-demographic determinants and selfperceived oral health status among the Korean adults. Methods/Statistical Analysis: A cross-sectional, examination data of 4,267 subjects was used as variables of self-perceived oral health and socio-demographic factors. We analyzed the available data using multi-logistic regression with complex sampling for identifying the relation of gender, education, income and self-perceived oral health. Findings: Good Self-Perceived Oral Health(SPOH) was significantly more associated among well-educated subjects (OR 1.68; 95% CI; 0.5-0.8, p<.001), female(OR 1.35; 95% CI; 0.6-0.9, p<.001), subjects with spouse (OR 1.25; 95% CI; 1.0-1.5, p<.039), and subjects with middle-high income group (OR 1.04; 95% CI; 0.6-0.9, p<.001) than among the overall group.”CI” indicates Confidence Interval, “OR” indicates Odd Ratios and “P” indicates P-value. Improvements/Applications: These findings report that lower education levels, aging, gender (male), non-spouse and low income have a big influence on the poor SPOHS of Koreans significantly.
Age, Education, Gender, Income, Korea, Oral Health.
- Machón M, Vergara I, Dorronsoro M. Self-perceived health in functionally independent older people: Associated factors. BMC geriatrics. 2016:16(66):1-9.
- Csikar J, Kang J, Wyborn C. The self-reported oral health status and dental attendance of smokers and non-smokers in England. Public Library of Science One. 2016; 11(2):1-13.
- Hashiba T, Takeuchi K, Shimazaki Y. Chewing Xylitol Gum improves self-rated and objective indicators of oral health status under conditions interrupting regular oral hygiene. The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2015; 235(1):39-46.
- Rouxel P, Tsakos G, Demakakos P. Is social capital a determinant of oral health among older adults? Findings from the english longitudinal study of ageing. Public Library of Science One. 2015; 10(5):1-17.
- Dye BA, Li X, Beltrán-Aguilar ED. Selected oral health indicators in the United States, 2005-2008. NCHS data brief. 2012; 96:1-8.
- Ogunbodede E, Kida I, Madjapa H, et al. Oral health inequalities between rural and urban populations of the African and Middle East region. Advances in dental research. 2015; 27(1): 18-25.
- Campos ACV, Albala C, Lera L. Gender differences in predictors of self-rated health among older adults in Brazil and Chile. BMC public health. 2015; 15(1):1-11.
- Farmer J, McLeod L, Siddiqi A. Towards an understanding of the structural determinants of oral health inequalities: A comparative analysis between Canada and the United States. SSM-Population Health. 2016; 2:226-36.
- Ghorbani Z, Ahmady AE, Ghasemi E. Socioeconomic inequalities in oral health among adults in Tehran, Iran. Community dental health. 2015; 32(1); 26-31.
- Manski RJ, Hyde JS, Chen H. differences among older adults in the types of dental services used in the United States. INQUIRY: The Journal of Health Care Organization, Provision, and Financing. 2016; 53:1-11.
- Koyama S, Aida J, Saito M. Community social capital and tooth loss in Japanese older people: A longitudinal cohort study. British Medical Journal open. 2016; 6(4):1-8.
- Schulz M, Kunst AE, Brockmann H. High educational attainment moderates the association between dental health‐care supply and utilization in Europe. European journal of oral sciences. 2016; 124(1):52-61.
- Weatherspoon DJ, Borrell LN, Johnson CW. Racial and ethnic differences in self-reported periodontal disease in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Oral health and preventive dentistry. 2016; 14(3):249-57.
- Garla BK, Mahajan R, Dagli R. Psychological stress and its relation with oral health status among tobacco users and non users. Journal of International Oral Health. 2016; 8(2):251-55.
- Hybels CF, Bennett JM, Landerman LR. Trajectories of depressive symptoms and oral health outcomes in a community sample of older adults. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2016; 31(1):83-91.
- Kwon MH, Choi HS. Impacting factors on oral health status of the community among the elderly the 6th Korea national health and nutrition examination. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(20):1-7.
- Choi BR, Kwon MH. Rheumatoid arthritis and breast-feeding in Korea: The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2010-2012). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(S8):569-74.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.