Total views : 273
Factors Influencing the State Anxiety of Nursing Students before Initial Clinical Experience
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to identify the level of state anxiety among the nursing students before their initial clinical experience and also to examine factors that influenced on their level of anxiety. Methods/Statistical Analysis: In order to achieve the purpose of this study, a survey has been conducted on freshmen students who attended three different nursing colleges from November 24th to December 5th, 2014. An analysis has also been implemented by using data collected from 207 students. Multiple regressions were utilized for the data analysis by using SPSS WIN 18.0 program. Findings: As for variables that influenced on the level of anxiety among nursing freshmen students before their initial clinical experience, factors including satisfaction on major (p<.001), satisfaction on campus practice (p=.021), traitanxiety (p<.001), competency of core nursing skill (p<.001), self-efficacy (p<.001) turned out to be significant. Before their initial clinical experience of nursing students, variables of Trait-anxiety (β=.366, p<.001), self-efficacy (β=-.173, p=.017), and major satisfaction (β=.135, p<.047) explained the level of anxiety. In addition, the explanation power of these variables turned out to be 30.8%. Improvements/Applications: What is required to relieve anxiety before initial clinical experience among nursing students in the future includes self-efficacy enhancing programs, major satisfaction, and trainanxiety relief.
Competency of Core Nursing Skill, Nursing Students, Self-Efficacy, The State Anxiety before Initial Clinical Experience, Trait-anxiety.
- Kim HS. A study on relationship between stress of clinical practice and clinical competency in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2002; 16(1):64–76.
- Jeffries PR, Rogers KL. Theoretical framework for simulation design. In: Simulation in Nursing Education, Jeffries PR, editor, National League for Nursing: New York; 2007. p. 21–33.
- Shepherd IA, Kelly CM, Skene FM, White, KT. Enhancing graduate nurse's health assessment knowledge and skills using low-fidelity adult human simulation. Simulation in Healthcare. 2007; 2(1):16–24.
- Park MY, Kim SL. A qualitative study of nursing students` first clinical experience. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2000; 6(1):23–35.
- Yoo JS, Chang SJ, Choi EK, Park JW. Development of a stress scale for Korean nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008; 38(3):410–19.
- Whang SJ. The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self-esteem of nursing college students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2006; 12(2):205–13.
- Lee HS. The effects of aroma inhalation on nursing students’ stress response and anxiety before their first clinical practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2008; 19(1):112–19.
- Park HJ, Jang IS. Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2010; 16(1):14–23.
- Won JS, Kim JH. Study on ego states in the view of transactional analysis, coping style and health states of nursing students. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2002; 7(1):68–81.
- Kleehammer K, Hart AL, Keck JF. Nursing students perceptions of anxiety-producing situations in the clinical setting,.Journal of Nursing Education. 1990; 19(8):33–6.
- Moon MS. Nursing students' initial clinical experience. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education.1998; 4(1):15–27.
- Park CJ. Nursing student’s anxiety level and perceptions of anxiety - producing situations in the clinical setting. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 1997; 3(1):34–45.
- Han SY, Lee YM. The relationship between anxiety, anger and fatigue among stress factor of nursing students in clinical practice. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2012; 13(2):554–61.
- Park IS, Kim CS, Kim R, Kim YJ. Stress, anxiety and fatigue of nursing students in clinical practice. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2005; 11(2):151–60.
- Kim SL, Lee JE. Relationship among stress, coping strategies, and self-esteem in nursing students taking clinical experience. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2005; 11(1):98–106.
- Park MY. The perceived causal structure model on stress experienced by nursing students during clinical practice. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2004; 10(1):54–63.
- Kim JT. A research relationship of Trait Anxiety and Sociality-Focused Spielberger's STAI, Unpublished Master Dissertation, Korea University of Korea, Seoul; 1978.
- Spielberger CD, Gorsuch RL, Lushene RE. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, Pal, Alto, Consulting Psychologist Press: CA; 1970.
- Korea Evaluation Institute of Nursing Education [Internet]. 2014. [cited 2015 Jun 10]. Available from: http://www. Kabone.or.kr.
- Hong HY. The relationship of perfectionism, self-efficacy and depression. Unpublished Master Dissertation, EwhaWomans University of Korea, Seoul; 1995.
- Sherer M, Maddux J, Mercandante B, Prentice-Dunn S, Jacobs B. The self-efficacy scale: Construction and Validation. Psychological Reports. 1982; 51:663–71.
- Song JJ. SPSS/AMOS Statistic Analysis Methods, 2nd (edn.), 21Century: Seoul; 2013.
- Park KM, Kwon SJ, Chae SO, Park EA, Kim BR, Park JE. Effect of clinical practice orientation on anxiety and practice satisfaction of the nursing students. Keimyung Journal of Nursing Science. 2011; 15(1):1–10.
- Kim MS, Yun SY. Study on the nursing student with academic self-efficacy, motivation and career aspiration. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 8(1):226–30.
- Yu M, Kang KJ. The factors affecting nursing students’ career preparation behavior: Focusing on participation in a self-leadership program. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(25):1–9.
- Lee SH. Effect of clinical practice orientation program on anxiety, self-esteem and self-efficacy in college students in nursing. The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2008; 15(4):539–47.
- Lee YJ. Effects of a blended learning orientation program for Clinical Practicum’s of nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2008; 14(1):30–7.
- Park EH, Kang CH, Han SJ. Study on clinical practice before state anxiety and self-esteem of nursing students. Korea Nursing Science Conference. 2006. p. 215–15.
- Yang JJ. The influencing factors of nursing perspectives and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2000; 6(2):276–86.
- Park SN, Lee SK. Factors influencing competency of core nursing skill in nursing students. The Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2008; 15(1):6–13.
- Brunt C. Stress and student nurses in A&E. Two. Assessing anxiety levels, Nurse Times. 1984; 80(8):37–8.
- Lee YJ. Development and evaluation of the e-learning orientation program for nursing student’s adapting to clinical practicum, The Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. 2007; 19(4):593–602.
- Kim MY. Effect of self growth program on the state anxiety of nursing students before initial clinical experience. The Journal of Korean Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Academic Society. 1999; 8(1):83–96.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.