Total views : 209
Identification of Factors Influencing Subjective Health Status according to Gender- using Data from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
Objectives: This study identified physical and psychological factors that influenced subjective health status by gender. Methods/Statistical Analysis: The subjects included 5,897 adults (2,516 men and 3,381 women) over 30 years of age selected from among 7,550 individuals who participated in the 2014 National Health and Nutrition Survey. The study included two categories of variables: demographic characteristics, and physical and psychological factors. IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows version 21.0 was based on composite sample plan file to analyze the data. Findings: The factors that influenced the subjective health status in men included economic status, education level and number of family members, quality of life, subjective body awareness, stress, and waist circumference with an explanatory power of 21.9%. In woman education level, quality of life, subjective body awareness, stress, and obesity, offered an explanatory power 22.9%. The gender differences were statistically significant for all variables Improvements/Applications: This study is significant in that it provides the basis for the development of nursing education and intervention programs for improving the subjective health status of adults.
Subjective Health Status, Gender, Influencing Factor, Physical Factors, Psychological Factors.
- World Health Organization [Internet]. [cited 2016]. Available from: http://www.who.int/gender/en.
- Lee JS, Lee SY. Effects of cognitive function and depression on anxiety in elderly people-convergent approach. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2015; 13(8):401–8.
- Kim DG. The relationship among perceived health status, life satisfaction and health promotion behavior in physical activity participants in middle age. Journal of Korean Society of Sport and Leisure Studies. 2012, 47(1):503–18.
- Lee HJ, Lee KH, Kim EK, Kim MJ, Hwang SM. The related factors influencing on self-rated health level of middle-aged women. Korean Journal of Community Nutrition. 2012; 17(3):290–301.
- Mcintyre J, Cheal K, Bartels S, Durai UN, Herr BM. Anxiety and depressive disorders in older primary care patients: Defining a clinical severity gradient corresponding to differences in health status, functioning and health service use. Ageing International. 2008; 32(2):93–107.
- Lee YR, Kim MJ. A transition of health habits and self-rated health status of women aged in early adulthood. Journal of Korean Academic Public Health Nursing. 2009; 23(2):199–206.
- Gander J, Lee D, Sui X, Hebert JR, Hooker SP. Self-rated health status and cardio respiratory fitness as predictors of mortality in men. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2011; 45(14):1095–100.
- Ko Y, Lee IS. Factors affecting the self-rated health of vulnerable elderly. Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing. 2009; 20(1):31–40.
- Lee YJ, Choi KJ. The effect of Korean adult's mental health on QOL (Quality Of Life) - The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2013; 11(1):321–27.
- Yeom JH. A comparison study of Self-Rated Health (SRH) trajectory between urban and rural older adults: using latent growth modeling. Journal of Agriculture Society. 2013; 23(1):193–239.
- Kang HS, Gang MH. The relationships among dietary behaviors, life styles and perceived physical health status of female middle students. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2015; 13(6):287–96.
- Lee JH. Physical, mental and social health of Korean rural elderly with a focus on gender and age-group differences. The Korean Society of Community Living Science. 2006; 17(2):16–30.
- Subramanian SV, Kim D, Kawachi I. Covariation in the socioeconomic determinants of self-rated health and happiness: A multivariate multilevel analysis of individuals and communities in the USA. Journal of Epidemiology of Community Health. 2005; 59:664–69.
- Cheon KS. Gender differences in social factors of health in later life. Journal of Korean Gerontology. 2008; 28(3):459–75.
- McMonough P, Walters V. Gender and health: Reassessing patterns and explanations. Social Science and Medicine. 2001; 52(4):547–59.
- Nam EW, Ikeda N, Gree J, Moon JY, Park MB. Determinants of the self-rated health status of the elderly in healthy city Wonju, Republic of Korea. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion. 2008; 25(5):65–77.
- Lee MS. Structures of health inequalities of Korean elderly: Analysis of korean longitudinal study of ageing. Health and Social Science. 2009; 25:5–32.
- Hwang SH, Lee MS, Lee SK. Health condition and health behavior of the rural young-old and the rural old-old in an agricultural district. Korean Journal of Rural Medicine. 2011; 36(4):207–17.
- Heistaro S, Jousilahti P, Laheima E, Vartiainen E, Puska P. Self rated health and mortality: A long term prospective study in eastern Finland. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2001; 55(4):227–32.
- Idler E, Russell LB, Davis D. Survival, functional limitations and self-rated health in the NHANES I epidemiology follow-up study. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2000; 152(9):874–83.
- KOSIS [Internet]. [cited 2012]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/wnsearch/totalSearch.jsp.
- Ju SJ, Kim KS. The relationship among quality of life, depression and subjective health status of the elderly with chronic disease in Korea. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 8(16):1–8.
- Yeom JH, Park JS, Kim DH. A study of factors affecting self-rated health among Korean elderly: Focusing on gender differences. Journal of Korean Gerontology. 2012; 32(4):1101–18.
- Oh YH, Bae HO, Kim YS. A study on physical and mental function affecting self-perceived health of older persons in Korea. Journal of Korean Gerontology. 2006; 26(3):461–76.
- Kim MK. The analysis of the self-rated health status among social stratum groups in Korea. Yonsei University Master’s Dissertation, Seoul, Korea; 2008.
- Jung BM, Lim SS, Kim ES. A survey on health management and life habits for the urban salaried workers. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2002; 31(3):482–91.
- Ahn SY, Kwon MJ. Factors influencing the experience of pain in depressed patients with osteoarthritis - using data from the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination survey. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jul; 9(25):1–5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.