Total views : 382
Comparison of Biological Activities using Several Solvent Extracts from Ramariabotrytis
Background/Objectives: To investigate the antibacterial as well as antioxidant activity of Ramariabotrytis. Methods/Statistical analysis: The antibacterial activities of the solvent extractions ((acetone, ethyl acetate, ethanol, and methanol) of R. botrytis were determined against Gram-(+)/Gram-(-) bacteria by disc diffusion method. The antioxidant activities were also checked by measuring free radical scavenging activities (DPPH and ABTS). Findings: All solvent extracts showed an inhibitary effect against E. coli, and especially the ethyl acetate extracts showed higher antibacterial activities against Enterobacter cloacae, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Staphylococcus aureus. In addition, methanol extracts were effective in DPPH and ABTS activities. The negative correlations were observed between radical scavenging activities of extracts with TPC and TFC. The TPC and TFC were the highest at acetone and ethyl acetate extracts. Improvements/Applications: Ramaria botrytis showed antioxidant and antibacterial activities and so they can be widely used in naturally health food combinations.
ABTS, Antibacterial and Antioxidant, DPPH, Ramaria botrytis, TFC, TPC.
- Turkoglu A, Duru ME, Mercan N, Kivrak I, Gezer K. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Laetiporussulphureus (Bull.) Murrill. Food Chemistry. 2007; 101(1):267–73.
- Lindequist U, Niedermeyer THJ, Julich W D. The pharmacological potential of mushrooms. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2005; 2(3):285–99.
- Choi SJ, Lee YS, Kim JK, Kim JK, Lim SS. Physiological activities of extract from edible mushrooms, Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2010; 39(8):1087–96.
- Qi Y, Zhao X, Lim YI, Park KY. Antioxidant and anticancer effect of edible and medicinal mushrooms. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2013; 42(5):655–66.
- Kim SS, Kim YS. Korean mushroom. Seoul Korean: Yupoong Publishing Co; 1990. p. 251.
- Hwang BH, Lee TS. Extractive compounds of Ramariaformosa (Fr.) Quel. Journal of Korea Foresty Energy. 2003; 22:37–42.
- Yoo IS, Woo MS, Choi EC, Kim BK. Studies on constituents of higher fungi of Korea (XXXⅣ)- Antitumor components of Ramaria Formosa. The Korean Journal of Mycology. 1982; 10(4):165–71.
- Kim HJ, Lee IS, Lee KR. Antimutagenic and anticancer effects of Ramaria botrytis (Fr.) rick extracts. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 1999; 28(1):1321–5.
- Kim JM, Jung YM. Immune regulatory and antitumor effect of Ramaria botrytis extract. Korean Journal of Veterinary Public Health. 1995; 19:181–90.
- Piddock LJ. Techniques used for the determination of antimicrobial resistance and sensitivity in bacteria. Journal of Applied Bacteriology. 1990; 68(4):307–18.
- Folin O, Denis W. A colorimetric method for determination of phenols (and phenol derivatives) in urine. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 1915; 22(2):305–8.
- Han SR, Jun JA, Yang HS, Oh TJ. Comparison of physiological activity of solvent extracts from Hericiumerinaceus. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(25):1–7.
- Pękal A, Pyrzynska K. Evaluation of aluminium complexation reaction for flavonoids content assay. Food Analytical Methods. 2014; 7:1776–82.
- Blois MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature. 1958; 181:1199–200.
- Han SR, Kim KH, Lim KO, Oh TJ. Biological activity analysis of different solvent extracts from Pleurotusostreatus. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(26):1–8.
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice-Evans C. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cationdecolorization assay. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 1999; 26(9-10):1231–7.
- Singdevsachan SK, Patra JK, Thatoi H. Nutritional and bioactive potential of two wild edible mushrooms (Lentinussajor-caju and Lentinustorulosus) from similipal biosphere reserve. India, Food Science and Biotechnology. 2013; 22(1):137–45.
- Barros L, Cruz T, Baptista P, Estevinho LM, Ferreira IC. Wild and commercial mushrooms as source of nutrients and nutraceuticals. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2008; 46(8):2742–7.
- Han SR, Kim MJ, Oh TJ. Antioxidant activities and antimicrobial effects of solvent extracts from Lentinusedodes. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2015; 44(8):1144–9.
- Di Carlo G, Mascolo N, Izzo AA, Capasso F. Flavonoids: Old and new aspects of a class of natural therapeutic drugs. Life Sciences. 1999; 65(4):337–53.
- Lee MY, Yoo MS, Whang YJ, Jin YJ, Hong MH, Pyo YH. Vitamin C, total polyphenol, flavonoid contents and antioxidant capacity of several fruit peels. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2012; 44:540–4.
- Turkmen N, Sari F, Velioglu YS. Effects of extraction solvents on concentration and antioxidant activity of black and black mate tea polyphenols determined by ferrous tartrate and Folin-Ciocalteu methods. Food Chemistry. 2006; 99(4):835–41.
- Yu SC, Oh TJ. Antioxidant activities and antimicrobial effects of extracts from Auriculariaauricula-judae. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2016; 45(3):327–32.
- Hwang JS, Lee BH, An X, Jeong HR, Kim YE, Lee LI, Lee HL, Kim DO. Total phenolics, total flavonoids, and antioxidant capacity in the leaves, bulbs, and roots of Allium hookeri. Korean Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2015; 47(2):261–6.
- Cheung LM, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chemistry. 2003; 81(2):249–55.
- Yoon KY, Lee SH, Shin SR. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of extracts from Sarcodonaspratus, Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2006; 35(8):967–72.
- Vundac VB, Brantner AH, Plazibat M. Content of polyphenolic constituents and antioxidant activity of some Stachys taxa. Food Chemistry. 2007; 104(3):1277–81.
- Dong HJ, Kim HY, Han SI, Kim YH, Kim SG, Lee JT. Studies on antioxidant effect of mushroom complex. Journal of Life Science. 2013; 23(3):377–82.
- Hong MH, Jin YJ, Pyo YH. Antioxidant properties and ubiquinone contents in different parts of several commercial mushrooms. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2012; 41(9):1235–41.
- Kang HW. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect of extracts from Flammulinavelutipes (Curtis) Singer. Journal of the Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2012; 41:1072–8.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.