Total views : 259
The Effect of Aloevera for Constipation in Schizophrenia Patients
Objectives: The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of aloeon constipation in schizophrenia patients. Reduction of constipation symptoms enhances the quality of life of the patient. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Subjects included in the study were 50 schizophrenia patients. The subjects took aloevera for 4weeks. Variables were measured at baseline and again at 2 weeks and 4 weeks. Structured questionnaires were used, and data were analyzed using the IBM Statastical Package for the Social sciences (SPSS 21.0). Findings: There was a significant difference in the degree of difficulty in defecation and bowel function over time for patients using aloevera. In the experimental group, defecation frequency and feeling of incomplete evacuation changed significantly, while time spent defecating, degree of difficulty in defecating and overall bowel function did not significantly change over 4 weeks. In the control group, there was no significant difference. Improvements/Applications: Aloe had significant effects on constipation in patients with schizophrenia. However, morenon-pharmacologic intervention studies are needed.
Aloevera, Bowel Function, Constipation, Defecation, Schizophrenia.
- Shin O, Seiya M, Nobumi M, Noboru Y. Benefits and limits of anticholinergic use in schizophrenia: Focusing on its effect on cognitive function. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2014; 68(1):37-49.
- Miyamoto S, Merrill DB, Lieberman JA, Feischhacker WW, Marder SR. Antipsychotic drugs. Psychiatry. 2008; 1: 2161-201.
- Bezchlibnyk-Butler KZ, Remington GJ. Antiparkinsonian drugs in the treatment of neuroleptic-induced extra pyramidal symptoms. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 1994; 39(2):74–84.
- Silver H, Geraisy N. Effects of biperiden and amantadine on memory in medicated chronic schizophrenic patients. A double-blind cross-over study, British Journal of Psychiatry. 1995; 166(2):241-43.
- Mintzer J, Burns A. Anticholinergic side-effects of drugs in elderly people. Journal of Royal Society Medicine. 2000; 93(9):457-62.
- Minzenberg MJ, Poole JH, Benton C, Vinogradov S. Association of anticholinergic load with impairment of complex attention and memory in schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2004; 161(1):116- 24.
- Dockx L, De HM. Antipsychoticaenconstipatie: eenliteratuurstudie. PsychiatrVerpleging. 2009; 141-51.
- Eronen M, Putkonen H, Hallikainen T, Vartiainen H. Lethal gastroenteritis associated with clozapine and loperamide. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2003; 160(12):2242-3.
- Hibbard KR, Propst A, Frank DE, Wyse J. Fatalities associated with olanzapine related constipation and bowel obstruction: a literature review and two case reports. Psychosomatics. 2009; 50(4):416-9.
- Cirillo C, Capasso R. Constipation and Botanical Medicines: An Overview. Phytother Research. 2015 Oct; 29(10):1488-93.
- Guilera M, Balboa A, Mearin F. Bowel habit subtypes and temporal patterns in irritable bowel syndrome: systematic review. New perspectives in aloe research: from basic science to clinical application. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2005 May; 100(5):1174-84.
- Hert M, Hudyana H, Dockx L, Bernagie C, Sweers K, Tack J, Leucht S, Peuskens J. Second-generation antipsychotics and constipation: A review of the literature. European Psychiatry.2011; 26(1):34-44.
- De HM, van W R, Silic A, Van ED, Peuskens J. Physical health management in psychiatric settings. European Psychiatry. 2010; 25(2):1-6.
- Davidson S, Judd F, Jolley D, Hocking B, Thompson S, Hyland B. Cardiovascular risk factors for people with mental illness. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 2001; 35(2):196-202.
- Bobes J, Arango C, Aranda P. Cardiovascular and metabolic risk in outpatients with schizophrenia treated with antipsychotics: Results of the CLAMORS Study. Schizophrenia Research. 2007; 90(1-3):162-73.
- Kamarudin A, Masturah M, Jalifah L. Effects of Solvents and Extraction Methods on Herbal Plants Phyllanthusniruri, Orthosiphonstamineus and Labisiapumila. Indian Journal of science and technology. 2016Jun; 9(21):1-5
- Meigy NM, Beni S, Gaspersz F. Instant Powdered Eucheumacottoni as Beverages Rich in Diatery Fiber. Indian Journal of science and technology. 2015 May; 8(9):154-57.
- Surjushe A, Vasani R, Saple DG. Aloevera: A short review. Indian Journal of Dermatology. 2008; 53(4):163-66.
- Capasso R, Laudato M, Borrelli F. Meeting report: First National Meeting on Aloe. Nat Prod Commun. 2013 April; 8:1333-34.
- Ishii Y1, Tanizawa H, Takino Y. Studies of aloe. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 1994 May; 17(5):651-53.
- Odes HS, Madar Z. A double-blind trial of a celandin, aloevera and psyllium laxative preparation in adult patients with constipation. Digestion. 1991; 49(2):65-71.
- Lee EJ, Warden S. A qualitative study of quality of life and the experience of complementary and alternative medicine in Korean women with constipation. Gastroenterology Nursing. 2011 Mar-Apr; 34(2):118-27.
- Schmelzer M. Effectiveness of wheat brain in preventing constipation of hospitalized orthopedic surgery patients. Orthopedic Nursing.1990; 9(6):55-59.
- William M. Validity and reliable of the constipation assessment scale. Cancer Nursing.1989; 12(3):183-88.
- Ulbricht C, Armstrong J, Basch E. An evidence-based systematic review of Aloevera by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration. Journal of Herb Pharmacother. 2008; 7(3-4):279-323.
- Ishii Y, Tanizawa H, Takino Y. Studies of aloe. III. Mechanism of cathartic effect. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 1990; 38(1):197-200.
- Boudreau MD, Beland FA. An evaluation of the biological and toxicological properties of Aloe barbadensis (Miller), Aloevera. Journal of Environment Science and Health C. 2006; 24(1):103-54.
- Kim J H. The Effect of the Cataplasm Intervention with Korean Ferment Soybean Source on Antipsychotics-Related Constipation [Unpublished Master’s thesis]. Busan, Busan Catholic University; 2005.
- Lee JJ. A Study on Dietary Habits and Loosing the Constipation by supplement of Aloe juice and Yogurt in High School Students in Seoul Area [Unpublished Master’s thesis]. Seoul; Yonsei University; 2001.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.