Total views : 240
A Study on Formativeness of Delivery App Icon Design
Objectives: In a number of applications of various functions, icon design is a very important factor in predicting and recognizing the function of app. Thus, we carried out a study on delivery app icon design in line with market expansion of delivery app of more than 1 trillion won. Methods/Statistical Analysis: This study is to conduct the app icon analysis based on the elements of visual design. Three brands with the highest number of downloads were determined as the study target and app icon of the target was analyzed according to the design elements. We were to identify the position of the icon of the current delivery app through the analysis of used colors, contents and layout of images and text including the outermost shape forming the icon. Findings: According to the findings, although slightly different, the corner of all three brands was the rounded square shape and warm colors and colors were used in two brands and one brand, respectively. It seems to allow users to easily recognize the brand with their eyes by using warm colors with the nature of expansion than cold colors with the nature of shrinkage and can be also interpreted because of symbolism of warm colors used in the images of food more frequently than cold colors. For the image use, all three brands of ‘Baedaltong’, ‘People of Delivery’, ‘Yogiyo’ used illustration images. In the image use, a motorcycle or character with the delivery bin symbolizing the symbol of delivery appeared in two brands and the brand name was layed out on the white dish in the remaining one brand. Both direct method directly expressing delivery food and indirect method symbolizing food in a broader sense were used. The text used in the icon was extremely limited and the contents containing modifiers and information including the abbreviation of the brand name were written as the text. This is interpreted as a phenomenon caused by the constraint that needs to describe the features of the app in a small area. Improvements/Applications: This study extends to the rest of brands about delivery app and also it should have added another detailed element for a higher faith.
Delivery App, Icon Design, Layout, Smart Phone, Recognition.
- Guk JB, Ju LH. A Study on Feedback of Visual Perception of User according to Motion Graphic Expression Style on Smartphone. A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korean. 2011 Feb; 9(1):83-92.
- Ghosal S, Chaturvedi S, Taywade A, Jaisankar N. Android Application for Ticket Booking and Ticket Checking in Suburban Railways. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Jan; 2:171-78.
- Burnette CE. Hello Android Publisher ITC. 2009; p. 59.
- Raskin J. (Translated by Lee Geon-pyo), Human-oriented Interface. 2002; p. 217.
- Wikipedia. Date accessed: 01/08/2016: Available from: http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki.
- Korea Creative Content Agency. Date accessed: 02/02/2016: Available from: http://www.koca.kr.
- Naver Korean Dictionary. Date accessed: 04/05/2016: Available from: http://krdic.naver.com.
- Jin SY. A study on the favorability visual of app icons. Wonkwang University Master’s Thesis. 2016; p. 9.
- Munchan. A Study on the Formative Principles for Industrial Design Basic Education. Seoul National University Master’s Thesis. 1992; p. 15.
- Jin JH. A Study on App Icon Design Analysis by Type for Efficient Information Delivery. Ewha Womans University Master’s Thesis. 2011; p. 29.
- Sook LJ. The Symbolization and Comprehensibility of Icon Design in Medical Imaging Software. Dankook University Doctor’s Thesis. 2006; p. 263.
- Kunio S, Hirasawa T. Emotional Marketing, Green B. 1988; p. 29.
- Jung JY. Research on the Color Guideline for the Icons Used in Digital Contents. Sung Shin Women’s University Master’s Thesis. 2014; p. 112.
- Ri KM. Brand Identity and Color Images of Men’s Cosmetics. Hongik University Master’s Thesis. 2007; p. 13.
- Young KN. A Study on the Visual Elements of UI Design: Focusing on domestic news application. Chung-Ang University Master’s Thesis. 2014; p. 25.
- Jin JH. A Study on App Icon Design Analysis by Type for Efficient Information Delivery. Ewha Woman’s University Master’s Thesis. 2011; p. 31.
- Yeon YH. A Study on Icon Design of Mobile Phone: Focusing on semiotic analysis for establishing Design guidelines. Chung-Ang University Master’s Thesis. 2014; p. 25.
- Kang H, Cho J, Kim H. Application Study on Android Application Prototyping Method using App Inventor. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Aug; 8(19):1-5.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.