Total views : 248
Advertising Regulations in Media Convergence Environment by IT; Focusing on Broadcast and Internet Advertising
Objectives: This study reviewed the regulations of broadcast and Internet advertising in Korea to find the problems related to convergent opportunities or challenges and suggested the alternatives for the improvements. Methods/Statistical Analysis: Literature review was conducted focused on the researches of opportunities and challenges caused by convergent media and contents by the development of IT; specifically by the differences of the regulation system of broadcast and Internet advertising based on the secondary data. Findings: Statistics indicate that 85.1% of the total population, i.e., 42 million people, used Internet and 53.6% of the users used Internet shopping malls in 2015 in S. Korea. With the increase of Internet or mobile Internet users, the sales volume of Internet advertising have been increasing, on the other hand, broadcast advertising have been decreasing. And 43.2% of the sample size of 7,553 respondents cross-used Smartphone while watching TV. In this regard, the advertising regulation framework based on media-by-media or platform-by-platform of the past is not effective any more in current pervasive situations of advertising content convergence by IT, not even for consumer protection. The different regulatory body by each media such broadcast or Internet has different guidelines or standards to cause overlapping, unclear or unbalanced judgments on the same ads. Improvements/Applications: The past vertical or separated advertising regulation system by media needs to be replaced by the horizontal or harmonized paradigm to be open to one source multi-using and convergent ads.
Advertising Regulation, Broadcast Advertising Regulation, Convergent Advertising, Internet Advertising Regulation, Media Convergence.
- Jenkins H. Convergence culture: Where old and new media collide. NYU Press; 2006. p. 308.
- Kweon SH, Lee WS. A study of the contents regulation system of broadcasting and communication in smart and social media era. Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunications Research. 2012; 79: 9–36.
- Ahn JM. Media convergence and its implications for content regulation: A look back in history, Journal of Media Law, Ethics and Policy Research. 2011; 10(1):189–234.
- Jung CH, Kim J. A study on the cross-national comparative case analysis of the media policy: Focused on the horizontal regulatory system of the EU. Journal of Korean-German Social Sciences. 2011; 21(3):157–76.
- Korea Internet and Security Agency (KISA). Available from: http://isis.kisa.or.kr/statistics/?pageId=020201
- Korea Internet and Security Agency (KISA). Available from: http://isis.kisa.or.kr/statistics/?pageId=020206
- Korea Internet and Security Agency (KISA). Available from: http://isis.kisa.or.kr/statistics/?pageId=020304
- Dhote T, Jog Y, Gavade N, Shrivastava G. Effectiveness of digital marketing in education: An insight into consumer perceptions. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Feb; 8(4):200–5.
- Vivekananthamoorthy N, Naganathan ER, Rajkumar R. Determinant factors on student empowerment and role of social media and eWOM communication: Multivariate analysis on LinkedIn usage. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jul; 9(25):1–12.
- IAB/PwC internet ad revenue report; 2015. Available from: http://www.iab.com/
- Korea Broadcast Advertising Corp Ad Expenses Report of 2015; 2015. Available from: https://adstat.kobaco.co.kr/default.asp 12. Korea Communications Commission. The report of broadcast media use behavior in 2015; 2015. p. 110.
- Korea Communications Commission. The report of broadcast media use behavior in 2015, 2015, p.111.
- Ann S. Problems of text advertisements in Internet newspapers: Perspectives regarding protection of children and adolescents. Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies. 2013; 27(5):124–61.
- Cho J. The advertising review systems of online, mobile and other new media. The advertising Review Systems. Seoul, Korea: Communication Books; 2014. p. 29–36.
- Cho J. The regulations of online advertising. The Advertising Laws and Guidelines. Seoul, Korea: Communication Books; 2015. p. 107–16.
- Korea Fair Trade Commission. Available from: http://www.ftc.go.kr/
- Fair labeling and advertising act. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/main.html
- Korea Communications Standards Commission. Available from: http://www.kocsc.or.kr/
- Broadcasting Act. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/main.html
- National Health Promotion Act. Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/main.html
- Broadcasting Advertising Review Regulations. Available from: http://www.kocsc.or.kr/
- Cho J. A study of music regulations of broadcasting advertising. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2016.
- Korea Press Foundation. A report of designated topic: A study of the corporate marketing plans for quality improvement of Internet newspaper advertising. Available from: http://www.kpf.or.kr 25. Ministry of Gender Equality and Family. A report of the research on the actual condition of harmful advertising in 3,216 Internet newspapers and illegal acts. Available from: http://www.mogef.go.kr
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.