Total views : 190
Direct Organogenesis and Plantlet Establishment via Cotyledon Explants in Medicinally Important Herb Silybum marianum (L.)
Objectives: The species Silybum marianum (L.) (Asteraceae) commonly known as Milk thistle is medicinally valuable and due to over exploitation the species may become threatened. Hence, we have made an attempt to optimize the protocol for its direct regeneration through cotyledon explants using in vitro culture technology. Methods/Statistical Analysis: For in vitro multiple-shoot induction, cotyledon explants were excised from surfacesterilized seeds and cultured on MS Basal Medium (MBM) enriched with diverse conc. (10.0–20.0 μM) of BAP/KIN alone and also 10.0 μM BAP/KIN in combination with 1.25–5.0 μM NAA/IAA/IBA. The micro-shoots were cut out and cultured on 1/2 strength MBM enriched with diverse concentrations (5.0-20.0 μM) of NAA/IAA/IBA alone and also coupled with 1.25–5.0 μM BAP/KIN. Findings: In this study, superlative rate of shoot induction, maximal Number of Shoots Per Explant (NSPE) and longest shoot-length were achieved on MBM enriched with 10.0 μM BAP + 2.5 μM NAA. Superlative rate of root induction, mean number of roots per shoot and mean root length were documented on MBM supplemented with 15.0 μM NAA + 2.5 μM BAP. Application/Improvement: Being over exploited, the current technique can be operated for accelerated multiplication and conservation of the species. Further, this protocol can also be operated for transfer of novel genes for enhancement and modulation of bioactive molecules production in S. marianum – a medicinally valuable plant.
Cotyledon, In vitro Regeneration, Silybum Marianum.
- Sanchez-Sampedro MA, Fernandez-Tarrago J, Corchete P. Enhanced silymarim accumulation is related to calcium deprivation in cell suspension cultures of Silybum marianum L. Gaertn. Plant Physiology. 2005; 162(10):1177–82.
- Hasanloo T, Khavari-Nejad RA, Majidi E, Ardakani SMR. Flavonolignan production in cell suspension culture of Silybum marianum. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2008; 46(12):876–82.
- Ahmad N, Faisal M, Anis M, Aref IM. In vitro callus induction and plant regeneration from leaf explants of Ruta graveolens L. South African Journal of Botany. 2010; 76(1):597–600.
- Victorio CP, Lage CLS, Sato A. Tissue culture techniques in the proliferation of shoots and roots of Calendula officinalis. Revista Ciencia Agronomica. 2012; 43:539–45.
- Ebrahimzadeh MH, Younesikelaki FS, Rajinikanth M, Srikanth K, Swamy RN. Optimization of seed surface sterilization technique and in vitro seed germination of medicinally important herb-Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertn. Indian Journal of Natural Science. 2015; 5(30):6575–83.
- Younesikelaki FS, Ebrahimzadeh MH, Kiani DM, Mahitha B, Rajinikanth M, Swamy RN. Optimization of seed surface sterilization method and in vitro seed germination in Althaea officinalis (L.) - An important medicinal herb. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(28):1–6.
- Murashige T, Skooge F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco cultures. Physiology Plant. 1962; 15(1):473–97.
- Majid BN, Sampath KKK, Prakash HS, Geetha N. Rapid mass propagation of Salacia Chinensis L. an endangered valuable medicinal plant through direct organogenesis. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(4):1–8.
- - Vincent KA, Mathew KM, Hariharan M. Micro-propagation of Kaempferia galanga L.-A medicinal plant. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture. 1992; 28(2):229–30.
- Azad MAK, Yokota S, Ohkubo T, Andoh Y, Yahara S, Yoshizawa N. In vitro regeneration of the medicinal woody plant Phellodendron amurense Rupr. through excised leaves. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 2005; 80(1):43–50.
- Senthilkumar P, Paulsamy S, Vijayakumar KK, Kalmuthu K. In vitro regeneration of the medicinal herb of Nilgiri shola, Acmella calva L. from leaf derived callus. Plant Tissue Culture and Biotechnology. 2007; 17(2):109–14.
- Selvaraj N, Vasudevan A, Manickavasagam M, Kasthurirengan S, Ganapathi A. High frequency shoot regeneration from cotyledon explants of cucumber via organogenesis. Scientia Horticulturae. 2007; 112(1):2–8.
- Mohammad AK, Sheikh SUA, Mohammad SH. High frequency shoots regeneration from cotyledon explants of Teasle Gourd via Organogenesis. Journal of Life Sciences and Technologies. 2013; 1(1):79–83.
- Han JS, Oh DG, Mok IG, Park HG, Kim CK. Efficient plant regeneration from cotyledon explants of bottle gourd (Lagenaria Standl.). Plant Cell Report. 2004; 23(5):291–6.
- Chaturvedi R, Bhatnagar SP. High-frequency shoot regeneration from cotyledon explants of watermelon CV. sugar baby. In Vitro Cell Development Biology. 2001; 37(12):255–8.
- Mohammad KIS, Miskat AAJ, Chapol KR, Khaled H, Shafkat SR, Rubel M, Mohammad RI, Dewan AA. In vitro shoot micro propagation of medicinal applications and ornamental value of Cestrum nocturnum L. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(15):1–7.
- Gudipati T, Harisharan G, Rekha B. In vitro propagation of endangered medicinal plant–Commiphora wightii. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2011; 4(11):1537–41.
- Raj DPRS, Sheena MM, Gopalakrishnan K. In vitro propagation and cell suspension culture of Callistemon citrinus L. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2010; 3(1):67–9.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.