Total views : 203
Characterizing the Compression Behavior of Al2O3/Si3N4 Nano Sized Particulate Reinforced Ceramic Matrix Composites
Objectives: Nano sized objects are exhibiting extra ordinary potential in all the aspects of properties. Objective of this work is to develop the composite of alumina reinforced with nano sized silicon nitride particles to analyze the compression behaviour of the developed composite materials against compacting pressure and % of reinforcement. Methods: Powder metallurgical techniques were used to manufacture the sample specimens of composites. The specimens were prepared with various proportions Si3N4 reinforcement ranges from 1 wt% to 20 wt%. Alumina was functionalized with 5 wt% of Poly Vinyl Alcohol (PVA) at 80°C using water as plasticizer to enhance the dispersion and flow behaviour essential for forming the material. The composites were cold formed in two cycles where compacting pressure was maintained as 510 MPa and 725 MPa. The sintering temperature was maintained as 1400°C for soaking period of 30 minutes. Findings: The results revealed that the reinforced composites showed 35% more compressive strength than unreinforced monolithic material. It was found that the reinforcement content of silicon nitride increased the compressive strength of the composite as expected. The barrelling behaviour was not observed during compression. The compressive strength of monolithic alumina at 725 MPa was 0.7 times greater than of 510 MPa. It was observed that 12.5% of reinforcement experienced maximum peak load of failure. The 1400°C for sintering was observed as not sufficient to make plastic flow in powder metallurgical preforms. Application/Improvements: The betterment in result can be achieved by increasing the sintering temperature to 1800°C for soaking time 30 minutes. This study reveals that this particular combination of ceramic matrix composites exhibit better results in compressive behaviour. This can be further analyzed for wear and can be used as outstanding material in hybrid ceramic bearings.
Ceramic Matrix Composites, Compression Behaviour, Hybrid Bearings, Powder Metallurgy, PVA.
- Boesl BP, Bourne GR, Sankar BV. Insitu multiscale analysis of fracture mechanisms in nano-composites. Composites: Part B Engineering. 2011; 42(5):1157–63.
- Qiao Y, Alvar S, Chakravarthula SS. Essential fracture work of nylon 6-silicate nano-composites. Journal of Applied Polimer. 2005 Feb; 95(4):815–9.
- Wang K, Boumbimba RM. Dynamic compressive behavior of a melt mixed polypropylene, organoclay nano-composites. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology. 2012 Jan; 134(1):1–11.
- Zandiatashbar A, Picu RC, Koratkar N. Mechanical behavior of epoxy-graphene platelets nano-composites. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology. 2012 Jul; 134(3):1–6.
- Leininger W, Wang X, Tangpong XW, McNea M. Nano scale structural and mechanical characterization of MWCNT-reinforced polymer composites. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology. 2012 Apr; 134(2):1–6.
- Chan KS, Lee YD, Hudak SJ. Model for the effect of fiber bridging on the fracture resistance of reinforced-carbon-carbon. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology. 2011 Apr; 133(2):1–10.
- Boumbimma RM, Ahzi S. Dynamic mechanical properties of PMMA/Organoclay nano-composite: Experiments and modeling. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology. 2011 Jul; 133(3):1–6.
- Asi O. An experimental study on the bearing strength behavior of Al2O3 particle filled glass fiber reinforced epoxy composites pinned joints. Composite Structures. 2010 Jan; 92(2):354–63.
- Afshar A, Massoumi I. Fracture behavior of dependence on load-bearing capacity of filler in nano and micro composites of polypropylene containing calcium carbonate. Materials and Design. 2010; 31(2):802–7.
- Wang QH, Zhang XR, Pei XQ. Study on the friction and wear behavior of basalt fabric composites filled with graphite and nano-SiO2. Materials and Design. 2010; 31:1403–9
- Jones R, Pitt S, Hui D, Brunner A. Fatigue crack growth in nano-composites. 18th International Conference on Composite Materials. Composite Structures. 2013; 99:375–9.
- Tang LC, Zhang H. Fracture mechanisms of epoxy-based ternary composites filled with rigid-soft particles. Composites Science and Technology. 2012; 72(5):558–65.
- Ayatollahi MR, Shadlou S, Shokrieh MM. Fracture toughness of epoxy/multi-walled carbon nanotube nano-composites under bending and shear loading conditions. Materials and Design. 2011; 32(4):2115–24.
- Ahmad Z, Ansell MP, Smedley D. Epoxy adhesives modified with nano- and micro particles for in situ timber bonding: Fracture toughness characteristics. Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology. 2011 Jul; 133(3):1–9.
- Phong NT, Gabr MH. Improvement in the mechanical performances of carbon fiber/epoxy composite with addition of nano (Polyvinyl alcohol) finers. Composite Structures. 2013; 99:380–7.
- Bortz DR, Merino C, Gullon IM. Carbon nano fibers enhance the fracture toughness and fatigue performance of a structural epoxy system. Composites Science and Technology. 2011; 71(1):31–8.
- Fiedler B, Gojny FH. Fundamental aspects of nano-reinforced composites. Composites Science and Technology. 2006; 66(6):3115–25.
- Lim CYH, Leo DH, Ang JJS, Gupta M. Wear of magnesium composites reinforced with nano-sized alumina particulates. Wear. 2005; 259(1-6):620–5.
- Liu Y, Zhou J, Shen T. Effect of nano-metal particles on the fracture toughness on metal-ceramic composite. Materials and Design. 2013; 259(16):67–71.
- Ergun E, Aslantas K, Tasgetiren S. Effect of crack position on stress intensity factor in particle-reinforced metal-matrix composites. Mechanics Research Communications. 2008; 35(4):209–18.
- Mazahery A, Shabani MO. Plasticity and microstructure of A356 matrix nano-composites. Journal of King Saud University – Engineering Sciences. 2013; 25(1):41–8.
- Yu PC, Yen FS. On the high pure alumina composite powder for sintering at 1400oC. A preliminary investigation. Key Engineering Materials. 2006; 313:59–62.
- Fazli1 A, Moosaei R, Sharif M, Ashtiani1 SJ. Developments of graphene-based polymer composites processing based on novel methods for innovative applications in newborn technologies. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 May; 8(9):38–44.
- Beglarzadeh B, Davoodi D. Study the microstructures of nano-composite copper/zirconium dioxide under the process of FSW (Friction Stir Welding). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Dec; 8(35):1–11.
- Kumar RR, Sivapragash M. Fabrication and hardness property of Mg composite (ZK30 - Ca3 (PO4)2) for biomedical implants by powder metallurgy. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015 Sep; 8(24):1–4.
- Kumar BKA, Ananthaprasad MG, GopalaKrishna K. A review on mechanical and tribological behaviors of nickel matrix composites. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 Jan; 9(2):1–7.
- Devaraju A, Pazhanivel K. Evaluation of microstructure, mechanical and wear properties of aluminum reinforced with boron carbide nano-composite. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016 May; 9(20):1–6.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.