Total views : 204
Performance Analysis of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Neem and Simarouba Oils
The high demand of energy and limitations of fossil fuel has increased interest in renewable fuels dramatically in recent years. Biodiesel, biodegradable and non-toxic fuel extracted from any vegetable oil can also be considered as an alternative for the diesel fuel. In the present investigation Simarouba and Neem biodiesel was extracted by the combination of Sodium Hydroxide and methanol, the joint base catalyst by trans-esterification method. The properties like density, viscosity and calorific value are measured for dual biodiesel blends. The obtained values are meeting as per the properties of biodiesel standards. The extracted dual biodiesels was blended with diesel (0-40 %) and were experimented in a 4 stroke single cylinder diesel engine at varying loads. Results shows that the brake thermal efficiency decreases and specific fuel consumption increases with percentage increase in biodiesel blends. Emission characteristics like carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen and Hydrocarbon with varying blends and varying loads are evaluated and plotted. It was found that the HC and CO emission reduces with percentage increase in biodiesel blends.
Biodiesel, Methanol, Neem Oil, Performance and Emissions, Simarouba oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Trans-esterification.
- Kotebavi V, Sahu D, Shetty D. Performance and emission characteristics of a CI engine run on waste cooking oil-diesel blends. EM International. Poll Res. 2016; 35(1):159–66.
- Raheman H, Jena PC, Jadav SS. Performance of a diesel engine with blends of biodiesel (from a mixture of oils) and high-speed diesel. International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering. 2013; 4:6.
- Ali MH, Mashud M, Rubel MR, Ahmad RH. Biodiesel from Neem oil as an alternative fuel for diesel engine. 5th BSME International Conference on Thermal Engineering.Procedia Engineering. 2013; 56(2013):625–30.
- Islam MS, Ahmed AS, Islam A. Study on emission and performance of diesel engine using castor biodiesel. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Journal of Chemistry. 2014; 2014:451526.
- Thirunavukarasu R, Suresh Kumar B. Performance analysis of two biodiesel blended with various diesel ratio.IJIRSET (An ISO 3297:2007 Certified Organization). 2015; 4(S6):1816–23.
- Amruth E, Suresh R, Yathish K. Production of Simarouba biodiesel using mixed base catalyst and its performance study on CI engine. IJERT. 2013; 2(5):25–30. ISSN: 22780181.
- Ramana PV, Ramanath Reddy P, Balaram C, Sharath Kumar A. Experimental study on CI engine performance using biodiesel blends. IRJET. 2015; 2(2):1107–16.
- Srithar K, Arun Balasubramanian K, Pavendan V, Ashok Kumar B. Experimental investigations on mixing of two biodiesels blended with diesel as alternative fuel for diesel engines. Journal of King Saud University – Engineering Sciences; 2014 Apr.
- Abhishek V, Nithyananda BS, Anand A, Naveen Prakash GV. Evaluation and comparison for fuel properties of Simarouba and calophyllum biodiesel. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 2014; 5(9):217–21.
- Anbumani K, Singh AP. Performance of mustard and Neem oil blends with diesel fuel in CI engine. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2010; 5:14–20.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.