Total views : 219
Transient Stability Enhancement by Optimal Location and Tuning of STATCOM using Biogeography based Optimization Technique
In this paper, transient stability of a multi machine system is evaluated when the system is experienced a three phase fault and the stability of multi machine system is recovered via optimal placement and tuning of STATCOM. Here, the parameters of the STATCOM are tuned by Biogeography based optimization and the STATCOM is positioned optimally in the system. The performance of the tuned system is compared with various operational conditions like without STATCOM, with STATCOM (untuned) and with two STATCOM (untuned). The time domain simulations and the analysis of the multi machine system are done by PSAT (Power System Analysis Toolbox). When the multi machine system is subjected to a three phase fault, voltage stability of the system is collapsed. The multi machine system with STATCOM (tuned by Biogeography based optimization) regains the stability and gives better voltage profile than the system with STATCOM (untuned), with two STATCOM (untuned) and the system without STATCOM. The results are evaluated with the other operational conditions of the system and it proves that the system has the transient stability when the STATCOM (tuned by Biogeography based optimization) is applied.
Biogeography Based Optimization, STATCOM, Transient Stability, WSCC
- Naveen Goel, Patel RN, Saji T Chacko. Genetically Tuned STATCOM for Voltage Control and Reactive Power Compensation. International Journal of Computer Theory and Engineering. 2010 June; 2(3).
- Kyaw Myo Lin, Wunna Swe, Pyone Lai Swe. Coordinated Design of PSS and STATCOM for Power System Stability Improvement Using Bacteria Foraging Algorithm. International Journal of Electrical, Computer, Electronics and Communication Engineering. 2013; 7(2).
- Ahmed Elsheikh, Yahya Helmy, Yasmine Abouelseoud and Ahmed Elsherif. Optimal power flow and reactive compensation using a particle swarm optimization algorithm. Journal of Electrical Systems. 2014;10-1; p 63-77.
- Dian Palupi Rini, Siti Mariyam Shamsuddin, Siti Sophiyati Yuhaniz. Particle Swarm Optimization: Technique, System and Challenges. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2011 January; 14(1):0975-8887.
- Federico Milano, Luigi Vanfretti and Juan Carlos Morataya.An Open Source Power System Virtual Laboratory: The PSAT Case and Experience. IEEE Transactions on Education. 2008 February; 51(1). Crossref.
- Dan Simon. Biogeography-Based Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. 2008 December; 12(6). Crossref.
- Sambariya DK, Prasad R. Robust tuning of power system stabilizer for small signal stability enhancement using meta heuristic bat algorithm. Electrical Power and Energy Systems. 2014; 61:229-38. Crossref.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.