Total views : 191
Radial Basis Function Neural Network (RBFNN)Based Modeling in Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG)-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
In this paper the application of Radial Basis Function Neural Network (RBFNN) for modeling the performance and emission parameters of a LPG-Diesel dual fuel engine with EGR is presented. Three different centre selection strategies namely fixed centre selected at random (FCSR), Fuzzy c-means Algorithm (FCM) and Conditional Fuzzy c-means Algorithm (CFCM) are used in the design of Radial Basis Function (RBF) network. The performance parameters included are Brake Power (BP), Brake Specific Energy Consumption (BSEC) and Brake Thermal Efficiency (BTE) and emission parameters included are Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT), smoke, Hydro-Carbons (HC) and Nitrogen Oxides (NOx).The results showed that there is a good correlation between the RBFNN predicted values and the experimental values for various engine performance and emission parameters with R2 value ranging from 0.90 to 0.99 and the Mean Relative Error (MRE) values are within 5% which is acceptable. A comparison with MLP modeling demonstrated that RBFNN is more efficient than Multi-Layer Perceptron Neural Network (MLPNN) for modeling in this application.
LPG-Diesel, Dual Fuel, RBFNN, EGR.
- Karim GA. A review of combustion processes in dual fuel engines : The gas diesel engine. Progress in Energy Combustion Science. 1980;6:278–90.
- Ladommatos N, Balian R, Horrocks R, Cooper L. The effect of exhaust gas recirculation on soot formation in a high speed direct-injection diesel engine. SAE 960841. 1996.
- Abd-Alla GH. Using exhaust gas recirculation in internal combustion engines. Energy Conversion Management.2002 May;43(8): 1027–42.
- Read HM, Stephension, John. Diesel Natural Gas engine options. Proceedings Gaseous fuel transportation International conference; 1986; Vacouver, Canada.
- Seiichi S, Hideharu E, Takao K, Toshio K. Effect of exhaust gas recirculation of diesel knock Intensity and its mechanism. Combustion and Flame. 1988 Jun;72(3):225–34.
- Haykin S. Neural Network. 2nd Edition.Prentice Hall; 1999.
- Tao LZ, Shao-mei FEI. Study of CNG/Diesel dual fuel engine’s emissions by means of RBF neural network. Journal of Zhejiang University Science.2004 Aug; 5(8):960–5.
- Kowalski J. ANN based evaluation of NOx concentration in the exhaust gas of a marine 2 stroke diesel engine.Polish Maritime Research. 2009 Apr; 16(2):60–6.
- Jahirul MI, Saidur R, Masjuki HH. Application of ANN to Predict Brake Specific Fuel Consumption of Retrofitted CNG Engine. International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering. 2009; 4(3):249–55.
- Obodeh O, Ajuwa CI. Evaluation of Artificial Neural Network Performance in predicting diesel engine NOx Emissions. European Journal of Scientific Research. 2009; 33(4):642–53.
- Prasad TH, Reddy KHC, MuralidharaRao M. Performance and Exhaust Emissions Analysis of a diesel engine using Methyl Esters of fish oil with ANN aid. IACSIT International Journal of Engineering and Technology.2010 Feb;2(1).
- Wang M, Zhang S, Zhang J, Qiang Ma. Predication Emission of an Intelligent Marine Diesel Engine Based on Modeling of BP Neural Networks. 6th International Conference on Natural Computation,IEEE.2010 Aug.
- Manjunatha R, Narayana PB, Reddy KHC. Application of ANNs for emission modeling of Biodiesels for a C.I engine under varying operating conditions. Modern Applied Science. 2010 Mar;4(3).
- Shivakumar, Pai PS, ShrinivasaRao BR,Samaga BS. Performance and Emission characteristics of a 4 stroke CI engine operated on Honge Methyl Ester using Artificial Neural Networks. ARPN Journal. of Engineering and Applied Science. 2010 Jun;5(6).
- Wang M, Zhang S, Zhang J, Qiang Ma. Predication Emission of an Marine Two Stroke Diesel Engine Based on Modeling of RBF Neural Networks. Second WRI Global Congress on Intelligent Systems. IEEE; 2010 Dec.
- Zhang Q, Tian D. Study of CWS/Diesel dual fuel engine emissions by means of RBF neural network.Asia Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference, IEEE; 2010 Mar.
- Talal FY, Buttsworth DR, Khalid HS, Yousif BF. CNG-Diesel engine performance and exhaust emission analysis with the aid of artificial neural network. Applied Energy. 2010 May;87(5):1661–9.
- Shivakumar, SrinivasaPai P, ShrinivasaRao BR. Artificial Neural Network based prediction of performance and emission characteristics of a variable compression ratio CI engine using WCO as a biodiesel at different injection timings. Applied Energy. 2011 Jul;88(7):2344–54.
- Mohammadhassani J, Khalibrya Sh, Solimanpur M, Dadvand A. Prediction of NOx emissions from a Direct injection diesel engine using Artificial Neural Network. Modelling and Simulation in Engineering.2012 Jan.
- Manjunatha R, Narayana PB, Reddy KHC, Reddy KVK. Radial Basis Function Neural Networks in prediction and modeling of diesel engine emissions operated for biodiesel blends under varying operating conditions. Indian Journal of Science.and Technology. 2012 Mar;.5(3):2307–12.
- Shetty RP, Bailkeri N, SrinivasaPai P, ShrinivasaRao BR. Radial Basis Function Neural Networks (RBFNN) Based prediction of performance & emission characteristics in a dual spark plug. S.I Engine. International Conference on Challenges and Opportunities in Mechanical Engineering Industrial Engineering And Management Studies (ICCOMIM). 2012;11-13.
- KOKKULUNK G, AICDOGAN E, Ayhan V. Prediction of emission and exhaust temperatures for direct injection diesel engine with emulsified fuel using ANN. Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences. 2013;.21:2141–52.
- Shivakumar, Srinivasa PP, Rao BRS. Prediction of performance and emission parameters of a Biodiesel engine:A comparison of neural networks. 3rd International Conference on Mechanical Automotive and Materials Engineering. Singapore (ICMAME-2013); 2013.
- Jahirul MI, Saidur R, Masjuki HM, Kalam MA, Rashid MM. Application of ANN for prediction performance of a Dual Duel Internal Combustion Engine. The Hong Kong Institute of Engineers Transactions. 2013 1614–20.
- Ahmadi MH, Mehrpooya M, Khalipoor N. Artificial Neural Networks modeling of the performance parameters of the Stirling engine. International Journal of Ambient Energy. 2016; 37(4);341–47. DOI:10.1080/01430750.2014.964370.
- Javed S, Murthy YVVS, Rahmath Ulla B, Rao DP. Development of ANN model for prediction of performance and emission characteristics of hydrogen dual fuelled diesel engine with Jatropha Methyl Ester biodiesel blends. Journal of Natural Gas Science.and Engineering. 2015 Sep; 26:549–57.
- Celikoglu HB. A Dynamic Network loading model for traffic dynamics modeling. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems. 2007 Dec; 8(4):8575–83.
- Arcaklioglu E, Celikten. A diesel engines performance and exhaust emissions using ANN. Applied Energy. 2005 Jan;80(1):11–22.
- Shaomin Mu, Shangfeng T, Chuanhuan Y.A Novel Radial Basis Function Neural Network classifier with center set by cooperative clustering. International Journal of Fuzzy Systems. 2007 Dec;9(4).
- John A.Bullinaria. RBF neural network: Algorithms.University of Birmingham; Neural Computations Lecture 14-2013.
- Kumarawadu S, Lee TT. Neuro adaptive combined lateral and longitudinal control of high way vehicles using RBF networks. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems. 2006 Dec; 7(4).
- Pedrycz W. Conditional Fuzzy Clustering in the design of Radial Basis Function Neural Networks. IEEE Trans on Neural Networks. 1998; 9(4):601–12.
- Zaki ST.Comparison between Fuzzy C-Means Clustering (FCM) and geometrically guided Condition Fuzzy C-Means Clustering. Diyala Journal of Pure Science2010 Apr;6(2).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.