Total views : 265
Experimental and Finite Element Analysis of GFRP Composite Laminates with Combined Bolted and Bonded Joints
The scope this research work is to develop and study the finite element analysis of GFRP composite laminates with combined bolted and bonded joint. Polymer matrix composite materials are widely used due to the reason of high strength to weight ratio. Design techniques for fastened joints have received valuable attention due to the different nature of the stress field in the proximity of the joint, the different of failure modes that can occur. A foremost goal of bolted joint research is to limit the effect of several bolting parameters on the bearing strength of the joints. These parameters such as: (a) joint geometry (b) joint configuration (c) loading condition (d) fastening parameters and (e) material parameters. The scope of the project is to examine the influence of certain factors on the strength of bolted joints in [0/90]4s GFRP composites. These features include the tightening torque (T= 15, 20, 25 & 30 Nm). The mechanical properties (Tensile & Compressive) of GFRP laminates have been examined experimentally and theoretically. From the investigational study, it is found that bolted joint and bolted - bonded joint with 6 mm diameter, 25 Nm tightening torque has the extreme strength. Most of the test specimens failed in (a) Bearing failure (b) Net tension failure (c) Shear out failure (d) Cleavage tension failure.
Epoxy Resin, Failure Modes, Glass Fibre, Tightening Torque, Washer Size
- Kumara SB, Sridhar I, Sivashankar S, Osiyemi SO, Bag A.Tensile failure of adhesively bonded CFRP composite scarfjoints. Materials Science and Engineering. 2006 Jul 25; 132(1–2):113–20. Crossref
- Sheppard A, Kelly D, Tong L. A damage zone model for the failure analysis of adhesively bonded joints. International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives. 1998 Dec; 18(6):385– 400. Crossref
- Kairouz KC, Matthews FL. Strength and failure modes of bonded single lap joints between cross-ply adherends.Composite. 1993 Sep; 24(6):475–84.
- Radice J, Vinson J. On the use of quasi-dynamic modeling for composite material structures: analysis of adhesively bonded joints with midplane asymmetry and transverse shear deformation. Composite Science and Technology.2006 Nov; 66(14):2528–47. Crossref
- Delale F, Erdogan F, Aydinoglu MN. Stresses in adhesively bonded joints: a closed-form solution. Journal of Composite Materials. 1981 May 1; 15:249–59. Crossref
- Apalak ZG, Apalak MK, Genc MS. Progressive damage modeling of an adhesively bonded unidirectional composite single lap joint in tension at the Meso scale level.Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials. 2006 Nov 1; 19:671–80. Crossref.
- Karakuzu R, Gulem T, Icten BM. Failure analysis of woven laminated glass-vinylester composite with pin-loaded hole.Composite Structures. 2006 Jan; 72(1):27–32. Crossref
- Icten BM, Karakuzu R. Progressive failure analysis of pinloaded carbon-epoxy woven composite plates. Composite Science and Technology. 2002 Jul; 62(9):1259–71. Crossref
- Schulz KC, Hietalab HJ, Packmanb PF. A statistical approach to the analysis of ultimate strength of bolted joints in laminated composites. Composites Science and Technology. 1996; 56(5):505–17. Crossref
- Lin C–C, Lin C–H. Stress and strength analysis of composite joints using direct boundary element method.Composite Structures. 1993; 25(1–4):209-215. Crossref
- Kradinov V, Madenci E, Ambur DR. Combined in-plane and through the thickness Analysis for failure prediction of bolted Composite Joints. Composite Structures. 2007 Jan; 77(2):127–47.
- Mc Carthy MA, Mc Carthy CT, Lawlor VP, Stanley WF.Three-dimensional finite element analysis of single-bolt, single-lap composite bolted joint: part I-model development and validation. Composite Structures. 2005 Nov; 71(2):140–58. Crossref
- Camanho PP, Matthews FL. A progressive damage model for mechanically fastened joint in composite laminates.Journal of Composite materials. 1999 Dec; 33(24):2248–80.
- Xiao Y, Ishikawa A. Bearing strength and failure behaviour of bolted composite joints. Composite Science and Technology. 2005 Jun; 65(7–8):1032–43. Crossref
- Tserpesa KI, Labeasb G, Papanikosb P, Kermanidisa Th.Strength prediction of bolted joint in graphite/epoxy composite laminates. Composites Part B: Engineering. 2002 Oct; 33(7):521–9. Crossref
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.