Total views : 171
Simulation and Analysis of Protrusions on Flat Plate at Hypersonic Speeds
This paper presents investigation into the complex phenomena that occur in the vicinity of three dimensional forward facing steps mounted on a flat plate in hypersonic flow of Mach number 8. The dependence of the flow field on geometry parameters like height of protrusion and deflection angle is also studied. Vortices generated at the separation location seemed to wrap around the protuberance, causing high surface heating in the separated region, with the hotspot at the foot of the shock. For lower deflection angle model, the protuberance did not have much effect upstream, but turbulence was observed to the side of the protuberance. The flow remained more or less attached, suggesting nominal heating in the front of the protrusion. As the deflection angle increased, separation phenomena was more visible and hence the recirculation zone. For un-separated flow cases, the protrusion height had less effect on the surface heating. But when the flow was separated, the extent of flow separation region was large, indicating higher surface heating.
Deflection Angle, Hypersonic , Protuberance, Re-Circulation, Surface Heating, Vortices.
- Paige B Burbank, Robert A Newlander, and Ida K Collin., Heat Transfer and Pressure Measurements on a flat plate surface and Heat Transfer Measurements on attached protuberances in a Supersonic turbulent boundary layer at Mach Numbers 2.65, 3.51 and 4.44.December 1962; NASA Technical Note. TN D-1372.
- Estruch D, MacManus D G, Stollery J L, Lawson N J, Garry K P., Hypersonic interference heating in the vicinity of surface protuberances. Exp. Fluids, 2010; 49:683-699.
- Kumar CS, Reddy KPJ. Experimental Investigation of Heat Fluxes in the Vicinity of Protuberances on a Flat Plate at Hypersonic Speeds. J. of Heat Transfer. 2013;135(12): 121701-9.
- Kumar CS, Singh T, Reddy KPJ., Investigation of the separated region ahead of three-dimensional protuberances on plates and cones in hypersonic flaws with laminar boundary layers. Physics of Fluids. 2014;26:126101-1.
- Kumar CS and Reddy KPJ., Hypersonic interference heating on cones with short three-dimensional protuberances. J. of Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 2014; 55(2014): 29-41.
- Rudolph A. King, Scott A. Berry, Michael A. Kegerise., Effect of protuberance shape and orientation on Space Shuttle Orbiter boundary-Layer Transition., NASA Technical Memorandum. TM-215103. 2008.
- Frank K. Lu. , Visualization of supersonic flow around a sharp-edged sub-boundary-layer protuberance., Journal of Visualization.2015; 18(4):619–29
- Ahmet Selim Durna, Mohamad El Hajj Ali Barada, and Bayram Celik. Shock interaction mechanisms on a double wedge at Mach 7., Physics of Fluids., 2016; 28: 096101. doi: 10.1063/1.4961571.
- Hussain H. Al-Kayiem, Ahmed K. Hussein, Jalal M.Jaleel and Salam H. Hussain., Numerical Computation of 3-DimensionalSupersonic Flow Field over Seamless Missiles, Indian Journal of Science and Technology., 2014; 7(10): 1563–72.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.