Total views : 98
Simulation Modeling and Analysis for Investigation of Part Launching Rule in a FMS Scheduling
Background/Objectives: The intention of this simulation study is to inspect the effect of multi-level scheduling rules on the four different performance measures of proposed FMS (flexible manufacturing system). Methods/Statistical Analysis: Input data has been collected from the real existing system and proposed FMS simulation model has been developed using JAVA programming. Findings: The flow of parts through the system has been managed with multi-level scheduling rules related to launching of parts in to a system. The proposed simulation model has been modeled for the existing system and a common optimum part selection rule for the performance parameters such as MFT(mean flow time), make span, mean machine utilization, and mean Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) utilization has been developed. Application/Improvements: Case study has been conducted on the existing system and the proposed simulation model has been created. The shortest processing time rule was found to be optimum upon comparing other two scheduling rules when output performance measures considered. The proposed simulation model aids in better scheduling of automobile and electronics applications.
AGV, Flexible Manufacturing System, Part Launching Rules, Performance Measures, Simulation Analysis, Scheduling
- Slobodan J. Flexible manufacturing systems and quantitative analysis of flexible manufacturing systems. International Journal of Computer Applications. 2015 December; 132(1):6-14.
- Viswanathan N, Narahari Y. New Jersey: PHI Learnings: Performance modelling of automated manufacturing system.1st edn. 1994.
- Stecke KE. Design, planning, scheduling and control problems in flexible manufacturing system. Analysis of Operation Research Journal.1985 January; 3(1):3-12.
- Gupta YP, Gupta MC and Bector CR. A review of scheduling rules in FMS. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing. 1989 June; 2(6):356-77.
- Jones A, Rabelo L and Yuehwern Y. A hybrid approach for real-time sequencing and scheduling. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing. 1995 March; 8(2):145-54.
- Roh H-K and Kim Y-D. Due-date-based loading and scheduling methods for a flexible manufacturing s y s tem with an automatic tool transporter. International Journal Production Research. 1997 June; 35(11):2989-3003.
- Mohamed NS. Operations planning and scheduling problems in an FMS: An integrated approach. Computers and Industrial Engineering.1998 December; 35(3):443-6.
- Sabuncuoglu I and Kizilisik OB. Reactive scheduling in a dynamic and stochastic FMS environment. International Journal Production Research. 2003 November; 41(17):4211-31.
- Goswami M and Tiwari MK. A reallocation-based heuristic to solve a machine loading problem with material handling constraint in a flexible manufacturing system. International Journal Production Research. 2003 February; 44(3):569-88.
- Suresh Kumar N and Sridharan R. Simulation modelling and analysis of part and tool flow control decisions in a FMS. Roboics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing.2009 August; 25(4):829-39.
- Udhayakumar P and Kumanan S. Task scheduling of AGV in FMS using non-traditional optimization techniques. International Journal of Simulation Modeling. 2010 March; 9(1):28-39.
- Cheng HC and Yinkaichan D. Simulation optimization of part input sequence in a flexible manufacturing system.Singapore: Proceedings of Winter Simulation Conference.2011 December; 2374–238.
- Buyurgan N, Saygin C and Engin Kilic S. Tool allocation in FMS with tool alter-natives. Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing. 2004 August; 20(4):341-9.
- Tamini AM, Abidi MH, Mian SH and Alam. Analysis of performance measures of flexible manufacturing system. Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Sciences.2012 July; 24(2):115-29.
- Sreenivasulu A, Venkatachalapathi N, Prasanthi G. Modeling and analysis for minimization of Mean flow time in FMS simulation. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing System.2015 August; 14(4):1-14.
- Law AM and Kelton WD. New Delhi: McGraw-Hill Inc: Simulation Modeling and Analysis. 3rd edn. 2000.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.