Total views : 377
CFD Analysis of Co Flow Jet Airfoil
The performance of airfoils can be improved by using flow control techniques like Co Flow Jet (CFJ) technique. Many of the control flow techniques are applied only near leading or trailing edge, whereas the CFJ technique is applied on most of the suction surface. In this technique an injection slot is made near the leading edge through which a jet is introduced. In order to maintain the conservation of mass principle, same amount of mass is sucked through a suction slot. In this paper the performance of NACA6409 baseline airfoil is compared with three CFJ airfoils with varying positions of injection and suction slots. The performance characteristics considered are coefficient of lift, stall margin and lift to drag ratio. The analysis is done using commercial code ANSYS FLUENT. It was found that the CFJ airfoils improve the stall margin by 33% to 67% compared to the baseline airfoil. The airfoil CFJ1 has optimum position of injection and suction slots. For this airfoil the lift coefficient increased by 47% and there was no considerable change in lift to drag ratio.
CFJ Airfoil, CFD, L/D Ratio, Stall Margin.
- Zha GC, Paxton C, Gables C. A Novel Airfoil Circulation Augment Flow Control Method Using Co-Flow Jet. 2nd AIAA Flow Control Conference. 2004. p. 1–13
- Zha GC, Gao W, Paxton CD. Jet effects on co-flow jet airfoil performance. AIAA Journal. 2007; 45(6):1222–31.
- Chng TL, Rachman A, Tsai HM, and Zha G-C. Flow control of an airfoil via injection and suction. Journal of Aircraft, 2009; 46(1):291–300.
- Zha GC, Paxton CD, Conley CA, Wells A, Carroll BF. Effect of injection slot size on the performance of co flow jet airfoil. Journal of Aircraft, 2006; 43(4):98795.
- Zha GC, Carroll BF, Paxton CD, Conley CA, Wells A. High performance airfoil using co flow jet flow control. AIAA Journal. 2007; 45(8):208790
- Lefebvre A, Dano B, Fronzo MD, Bartow WB, Zha GC. Performance of Co-Flow Jet Airfoil with Variation of Mach number. AIAA. 2013; 2013-0490:1–16.
- Bertrand PE, Dano, GechengZha, Michael Castillo. Experimental study of co flow jet airfoil performance enhancement using discrete jets. 49th Aerospace Science Meeting, AIAA, 2011, p. 2011–941
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.