Total views : 246
Choice of Employment Career by Russian Students in Modern Labor Market Conditions
Background/Objectives: The relevance of this study is due to the problems with a mismatch of educational institutions and the needs of the labor market with the processes of deformation and de-professionalization of labor force, increasing number of university graduates and unmet labor market needs for skilled workers. Methods: The main research method has been a questionnaire, allowing holistically exploring opinions and judgments of modern Russian students about their career expectations and intentions. Based on the results of empirical research conducted on the basis of the Far Eastern Federal University, the basic motives of students’ choice of specific areas of training have been considered, expectations and intentions with respect to their future professional activity, self-fulfillment and career building have been analyzed, created under the influence of modern attitudes to education as a social institution, understanding of culture consumption of educational services and the imbalance of supply and demand in the labor market. Findings: Main attention is paid to the situation in today’s society, namely when the educational services market does not meet the requirements of society, economy; it is detached from the labor market, preventing the formation of the optimal variant of the employment structure in modern society. In this regard, the aim of this study is to examine the career expectations and intentions of students at FEFU. The authors colligate the further prospects of the development of cooperation of the labor market and educational services with the fact that employers and other university services consumers will be actively involved in the development of requirements for the future graduates’ training, which will result in improving the quality of educational services provided to graduates, corresponding to the relevant requirements of the market and region and the balance of demand and supply of labor. Applications/Improvements: The article materials are of practical significance for specialists working in the field of education, as well as expand the opportunities to increase the efficiency of interaction between potential employers and students.
Effectiveness of Education, Labor Market, Market of Educational Services, Professional Self-Determination, Professional Values, Youth.
- Russian Statistical Yearbook. 2014. Available from: http://www.gks.ru/bgd/regl/b13_13/IssWWW.exe/Stg/d1/04-01.htm
- Altbach PG. Comparative Higher Education: Knowledge, the University, and Development. Norwood, N.J.: Ablex; 1998.
- Altbach PG, Reisberg L, Rumbley L. Trends in Global Higher Education: Tracking an Academic Revolution. Paris; Rotterdam, the Netherlands; Boston: UNESCO Pub.; Sense Publishers; 2010.
- Stehr N. Knowledge and Economic Conduct: The Social Foundations of the Modern Economy. Toronto; Buffalo: University of Toronto Press; 2002.
- Bills DB. The Sociology of Education and Work. Malden, MA: Blackwell Pub.; 2004.
- Dale R, Robertson S. Globalisation and Europeanisation in Education. Oxford, UK: Symposium Books; 2009.
- Green A. Education, Globalization and the National State. London: Macmillian; 1997.
- Schultz T. Investment in Human Capital. The Role of Education and of Research. New York; 1971.
- Nieto S. Public Education in the XX Century and Beyond: High Hopes, Broken Promises and an Uncertain Future. Harvard Educational Review. 2005; 75:43-64.
- Didkovskaya Ya V, Pevnaya MV. Dynamics of strategies professional careers of graduates from crisis to crisis. Bulletin of Peoples’ Friendship University. Sociology. 2010; 4:56–65.
- Zborovskiy GYe, Shuklina Ye A. Vocational education and the labor market. Sociological Studies. 2003; 4.
- Druzhilov SA. Generalized (integrated) approach to the formation of professionalism. Psychological Research: An Electronic Scientific Journal. 2012; 1(21). Available from: http://psystudy.ru/index.php/num/2012n1-21/621-druzhilov21.html
- Kochetov AN. Vocational education and the labor market: Problems of interaction. Sociological Studies. 2011; 5:82-90.
- Mihail R. The professional choices of high-school graduates and the perspectives of labor market. The professional choices of high-school graduates and the perspectives of labor market, 2014, 137: 147-152.
- Suditu M. Students’ professional values perception inventory - Important dimensions of career orientation. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2012; 69:1993-7.
- Richiteanu-Nastase E, Staiculescu C. The impact of career factors on students’ professional insertion. What measures to be taken by the university? Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2015; 180:1102-8.
- Mateescu L, Neagu A-M. Opportunities of labor market integration for young professionals. Procedia Economics and Finance. 2014; 8:444-52.
- Crisan С, Pavelea A, Ghimbulut O. A need assessment on students’ career guidance. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2015; 180:1022-9.
- Mancini Т, Caricati L, Panari C, Tonarelli A. Personal and social aspects of professional identity. Journal of Vocational Behavior. 2015; 89:140-50.
- Chircu S. Study regarding the relationship between the personality profile and the professional option of students. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2015; 180:1050-7.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.