Total views : 190
Detection, Classification and Location of Overhead Line Faults using Wavelet Transform
Objectives: To develop a wavelet Transform method to identify and categorize transmission line faults and also determines the location of the fault. Method: A Simulink model is developed for the test system. Various faults at different locations are simulated. DWT coefficients of the current signals are obtained. Fault index is calculated and is used to identify and categorize the fault. Findings: The method proposed using wavelet transform in the present work will accurately discriminate between normal and fault condition, identify the type of fault and determine its location. The method proposed is relatively very simple and can be easily realized and practically implemented. Application/Improvements: Transmission line protection relay should be highly reliable, selective and act quickly so that minimum damage is caused, area affected by power interruption is less and stability of the system is not lost. Hence, efficient fault detection methods are necessary to help operators to take required measures during power system disturbances. This will ensure the secure and stable operation of the power system.
Fault Detection, Fault Index, Line Faults, Location, Wavelet Transform.
- Oza N, Nair NK, Mehta R, Makwana V. Power system protection and switchgear. Mcgraw Hill Education; 2010.
- Babu KV, Tripathy M, Singh AK. Recent techniques used in transmission line protection: A review. International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology. 2011; 3(3):1–8.
- Phan VL, Wong KP. Wavelet-transform based algorithm for harmonic analysis of power system waveforms. IEEE Proceedings-Generation,Transmission and Distribution. 1999; 146(3):249–54.
- Sushama M, Das GTR. Detection and classification of voltage swells using adaptive decomposition and wavelet transforms. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2008; 4(12):1246–58.
- Bagheri S, Effatnejad R, Salami A. Transformer winding parameter identification based on frequency response analysis using hybrid Wavelet Transform (WT) and Simulated Annealing algorithm (SA) and compare with Genetic Algorithm (GA). Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2014; 7(5):614–21.
- Gafoor SA, Rao PVR. Wavelet based fault detection, classification and location in transmission lines. IEEE International Power and Energy conference; 2006. p. 114–8.
- Youssef OAS. Combined fuzzy logic wavelet based fault classification technique for power system relaying. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 2004; 19(2):582–9.
- Silva KM, Souza BA, Brito NSD. Fault detection and classification in transmission lines based on wavelet transform and ANN. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. 2006; 21(4):2058–63.
- Prasad A, Edward JB, Roy CS, Divyansh G, Kumar A. Classification of faults in power transmission lines using fuzzy-logic technique. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 8(30):1–6.
- Souza BA. Fault location for distribution systems based on decision rules and wavelet transform. 18th International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity; 2005. p. 1–4.
- Idris MH. Effective two-terminal single line to ground fault location algorithm. IEEE International Power Engineering and Optimization Conference; 2012. p. 246–51.
- Adamu SS, Iliya S. Fault location and distance estimation on power transmission lines using discrete wavelet transform. International Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology. 2011; 1(5):69–76.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.