Total views : 312
Lean Tools Implementation for Lead Time Reduction in CNC Shop Floor of an Automotive Component Manufacturing Industry
Objective: To examine the existing system of a production line in a shop floor of steering gear box manufacturing industry and to improve the productivity using lean methodology without much affecting current working systems. Method/ Analysis: An extensive range of lean manufacturing tools are available to take care of all kinds of issues faced by different manufacturing industries. It also helps for successful cost reduction of the manufacturing component and to assure the quality of manufacturer and customer. Findings: The critical Non-Value added Activities (NVA) were recognized and probabilities required for development has been recognized. Value Stream Mapping (VSM) has the reputation of finding waste during manufacturing and business process which facilitate to identify and remove or stream the value added steps and to eliminate the non-value added steps. Application/Improvements: After accomplishment of appropriate lean tools, it was found that the total setup time was condensed by about 180 minutes and cycle time was condensed by about 98 minutes which ultimately reduces the lead time and increases the productivity.
CNC, Gear Box, Lead Time, Line Balancing, VSM, Work Standardization.
- Arslankaya S, Atay H. Maintenance management and lean manufacturing practices in a firm which produces dairy products. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2015; 207:214–24.
- Nallusamy S, Saravanan V. Enhancement of overall output in a small scale industry through VSM, line balancing and work standardization. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 26:176–83.
- Nallusamy S. Lean manufacturing implementation in a gear shaft manufacturing company using VSM. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2015; 21:231–7.
- Reddy S, Jagadeeshwa H. VSM in a manufacturing industry. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology. 2013; 4(2):20–3.
- Nallusamy S. Frequency analysis of lean manufacturing system by different critical issues in Indian automotive industries. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 23:181–7.
- Dighe S, Kakirde A. Lean manufacturing implementation using VSM: A case study of pumps manufacturing company. International Journal of Science and Research. 2014; 3(6):2492–8.
- Nallusamy S. Productivity enhancement in a small scale manufacturing unit through proposed line balancing and cellular layout. International Journal of Performability Engineering. 2016; 12(6):523–34.
- Bhalwankar M, Mastud S. Applying VSM for improvements in automotive seat manufacturing processes. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research. 2014; 3(4):164–77.
- Nallusamy S, ManikandaPrabu N, Balakannan K, Majumdar G. Analysis of static stress in an alloy wheel of the passenger car. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2015; 16:17–25.
- Nallusamy S. A proposed model for lead time reduction during maintenance of public passenger transport vehicles. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 23:174–80.
- Shinde S, Jahagirdar S, Sane S, Karandikar V. Set-up time reduction of a manufacturing line using SMED technique. International Journal of Advance Industrial Engineering. 2014; 2(2):50–3.
- Nallusamy S. Environmental sustainability evaluation for an automobile manufacturing industry using multi-grade fuzzy approach. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 19:123–9.
- Pandit SV, Kadam SJ, Kharat A, Nayakawade CU. Productivity improvement by application of line balancing. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology. 2014; 3(4):11495–502.
- Nallusamy S. Enhancement of productivity and efficiency of CNC machines in a small scale industry using total productive maintenance. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 25:119–26.
- John B, James J, Rengaraj RM. Analysis and optimization of plant layout using relative allocation of facilities techniques. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 2013; 3(8):514–20.
- Nallusamy S. A proposed model for sustaining quality assurance using TQM practices in small and medium scale industries. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 22:184–90.
- Belokar RM, Kharb SS, Vikas K. An application of VSM in automobile industry: A case study. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering. 2012; 1(2):231–6.
- Ramamoorthy, Selladurai. Economical growth in pump manufacturing industries through lean manufacturing system using brainstorming technique: A case study. International Journal of Advanced Economics and Business Management. 2011; 2(1):1–8.
- Nallusamy S, Kumar DSL, Balakannan K, Chakraborty PS. MCDM tools application for selection of suppliers in manufacturing industries using AHP, Fuzzy Logic and ANN. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 19:130–7.
- Nallusamy S, Satheesh S, Chakraborty PS, Balakannan K. A review on supplier selection problem in regular area of application. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(62):128–32.
- Ratheesh PG. Standardization of work in a manufacturing industry. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2015; 2(8):2395–0072.
- Nallusamy S. Efficiency enhancement in CNC industry using VSM, work standardization and line balancing. International Journal of Performability Engineering. 2016; 12(5):413–22.
- Nallusamy S. Sustainable green lean manufacturing practices in small scale industries - A case study. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(62):143– 6.
- Kumar P, Gandhi MD. Green manufacturing in foundry. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology. 2013; 2(1):1203–7.
- Nallusamy S, Umarmukdhar M, Rekha RS. A proposed supply chain model for productivity enhancement in medium scale foundry industries. International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa. 2016; 20:248–58.
- Nallusamy S, Saravanan V. A study on lean tools execution in a small scale manufacturing industry for productivity improvement. Indian Journal of Science and Technology. 2016; 9(35):1–7.
- Nallusamy S, SuganthiniRekha R, Balakannan K, Chakraborty PS, Majumdar G. A proposed agile based supply chain model for poultry based products in India. International Journal of Poultry Science. 2015; 14(1):57–62.
- Roy D, Khan D. Integrated model for line balancing with workstation inventory management. International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations. 2010; 1(2):139– 46.
- Nallusamy S, Balakannan, Chakraborty PS, Majumdar G. Reliability analysis of passenger transport vehicles in public sector undertaking. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 2015; 10(68):843–50.
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.